jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Where in the Bible is it recorded that Jesus established the New Testament?

1. CertifiedHandy profile image80
    CertifiedHandyposted 5 years ago

Where in the Bible is it recorded that Jesus established the New Testament?

Where in the Bible is it recorded that Jesus authorized a "new testament"? You won't find it. So, by who or what authority is the New Testament established?

2. PlanksandNails profile image85
    PlanksandNailsposted 5 years ago

I think you mean the new covenant.

For this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. - Matthew 26:28

And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood. - Luke 22:20

You put quotes on "new testament"; therefore, you need to clarify what you mean in those quotes.

The New testament is about the abolishment of the Old Covenant.

It appears that you may follow the old covenant, which will only increase your sin. The law cannot prevent sin; it only through the blood of Jesus Christ that makes us holy.

3. CertifiedHandy profile image80
    CertifiedHandyposted 5 years ago

No, Planks I meant New Testament. Although Testament and covenant are used interchangeably they are  not the same. Jesus said - "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets (testament, my emphasis) ; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. Matthew 5:17. Testament is a legal term from the Greek. Covenant  is " the conditional promises made to humanity by God, as revealed in Scripture."  Jesus never mentioned testament because in order to establish a "new testament" the old had to be abolished. So, please don't attempt to think what I mean (sic)...

1. PlanksandNails profile image85
      PlanksandNailsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

("So, please don't attempt to think what I mean")

Then why ask the question if someone cannot attempt to answer what they think you are meaning? It's self-defeating.

4. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

It doesn't say it anywhere in there.

I think a con artist named Paul of Tarsus started the religion to gain a following and make money. His first letters to the Greek churches he established were written about 20 years after Jesus was executed for starting an uprising in Judea. In them, he preaches against the uncompromising Jews, the various heretical sects of Christianity that were floating about, and the Kingdom of Heaven and Jesus. 15 years later, he was executed in Rome. 5 years after that, the Gospels about Jesus were written during a war between Judea and Rome, where Judea was destroyed. 400 years after that, a collection of translations of copies of copies of copies of letters and the gospels were tossed away, edited, mistranslated, or re-worked and compiled into a final draft we now call the New Testament. I honestly don't see how anything could have gone wrong.

5. Disappearinghead profile image77
    Disappearingheadposted 5 years ago

He didn't.

Paul's letters though useful for teaching were simply his sermons to various Churches and represent what he believed God wanted him to say. As an ex-Pharisee well versed in the Hebrew Scriptures, I doubt very much that he would consider his letters as scripture, maybe he would have even considered that blasphemy.

It was as the NT was being put together by committee that the bishops decided what was scripture and what was not. I'm sure they prayed about it beforehand but in no way does that qualify them to decided what writings were elevated from man's wisdom to scripture or the verbatim word of God. It is highly questionable whether or not they had the authority to do this anyway.

The fact that 2 Peter and Jude refer to the dodgy Book of Enoch (which is crap by the way) believing the contents to be valid, rules out these two books as being from God as far as I'm concerned. They have both been used to support stupid notions that angels and human women had sex and produced hybrids, and promoted the mythical pagan hell.

Revelation contains Babylonian astrology which this John character clearly believed to be true, either that or he looked at the constellations and allowed his silly imagination to get the better of him. So I don't believe Revelation to be scripture either.

So many other writings that didn't fit the beliefs or the politics of the Church were thrown away and lost, so we may never know the truth.