jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Do you feel it's better to pray every day rather than to go to church once a wee

1. jaydawg808 profile image89
    jaydawg808posted 5 years ago

Do you feel it's better to pray every day rather than to go to church once a week?

2. twayneking profile image91
    twaynekingposted 5 years ago

Heavens no.  It's better to pray every day, several times a day AND go to church once or twice a week.

1. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You have summed up the answer very well. I pray constantly--short prays, pleads for help or guidance and I attend Mass on Sunday to hear more informed people explain the scriptures and have a chance to pray with a community.

3. Quirinus profile image71
    Quirinusposted 5 years ago

Ideally, we relate to every moment in a sacred way if we're conscious of a very personal connection with God.
    Praying everyday or going to church can be something that we actually look forward to, as an offshoot of our closeness with Him. The more longing we have for this communion or connection, the more often we may want to pray and so we may feel that we actually prefer to pray everyday as well as go to church once a week.
    The more longing for God we feel, the more often we wish for each moment to make His closeness felt.

4. philli profile image85
    philliposted 5 years ago

To pray every day is the better option, but to do both would be the even better option. Neither really mean anything if you are not building an actual relationship with God, though. If the prayers are more like wishes (like He is a personal genie) and the only time you act as if you are a believer is for a couple of hours on Sunday, it is all for naught.

5. Seek-n-Find profile image91
    Seek-n-Findposted 5 years ago

I think the question is better asked as one open-ended:  What pleases God?  It is the moment-by-moment life we live that matters most.  Jesus summed up the entire law in this statement:  Love God and love your neighbor as yourself.  He also said that the work of the disciple is to believe in the one who God had sent.  The book of James says faith without works is dead.  Faith comes by hearing the Word of God.  John says that Jesus is the Word.  This living Word, Jesus, did not return void but accomplished the purpose for which He was sent (Hebrews).  In this, He sent us His Spirit, so that we may be in Him as He is in us (John). 

What am I saying in all this?  It is about relationship.  Prayer is one way of fellowshipping with God--knowing Him.  Prayer is conversation.  It is entering into His presence and communing with His presence in us.  Going to a church service is different than being the Church.  Is it better for a spouse to go to a spouse class on how to be a good spouse once a week, while not talking to his/her spouse all week or to talk to and listen to his/her spouse daily?  The Church is a living organism, made of up the body of Christ across the globe and that expands across time--past, present, and future. 

The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you" as Paul states in his letters, so we need to be part of the Body to belong to the head, Christ.  God says if you say that you love God but hate your brother that the truth is not in you. 

But the Body is not contained in one denomination or in one building.  Its great to find a place of worship to attend, build relationships, encourage each other, learn, worship together, etc.  But more important is true relationship--with God--with each other--and with a world that needs to be loved not just in principle but with power.

6. edhan profile image59
    edhanposted 5 years ago

To me, it does not matter if one goes to church for prayers or being at home and doing prayers.

It is all about you being sincere and doing daily prayers to help you through life. I pray daily for guidance in every thing I do in life. God guides me with what I am doing every day.

7. snerfu profile image75
    snerfuposted 5 years ago

I like to pray everyday. The pressures of balancing the various aspects of life keeps one busy. There are times when I do not find time to go to church.
    My life is dedicated to the worship of God and attending to His ways. So, whatever, I do is a form of worship and I do make a silent prayer every  now and then, it keeps me going.

8. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

It depends on your personality and relationship with God. A few of my friends desperate need to attend church to feel comforted by their friends, otherwise they become depressed and their relationship with God suffers. Personally, I only attend church service for inspiration and motivation in other aspects of my life. My relationship with God is the same if I go to church or stay home to read the Bible and pray.