What are the sources of Christian fundamentalism vs exegetical approach?

1. krillco profile image93
    krillcoposted 5 years ago

What are the sources of Christian fundamentalism vs exegetical approach?

Are fundamentalist and exegetical positions in reference to Scripture an experiential and educational difference or primarily a genuinely deeper issue of faith?

2. profile image0
    ViolinByCourtneyposted 5 years ago

Are you talking about revealed exegesis (assumes Scripture is inspired by God/Holy Spirit) or rational exegesis (assumes Scripture is artistically inspired rather than divinely inspired and is therefore a product of its own historical context)? That would change my answer, since I actually subscribe to the idea of revealed exegesis. Fundamentalism and revealed exegesis differ in that fundamentalism seeks to adhere strictly to all of Scripture, including Old Testament Law, whereas revealed exegesis claims that the Old Testament looks toward the New Testament and that sacrifices, dietary laws, and most earthly punishments for sins are no longer necessary under the "New Covenant." If you are a fundamentalist, you lack faith in the ability of Jesus to free you from your inability to live a sinless life and thereby continue to cling to salvation as once offered through the law. If you are take a rational exegetical position, Christianity is an aspect of culture and has no real meaning for you. In my opinion, it is only the revealed exegetical position that represents true faith, for it both asserts that the scriptures are true and inspired and that the bondage the law represents is now obsolete, thereby allowing message of the gospel to be truly powerful.