What books would you recommend for boys age 10, if they are especially resistant

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (13 posts)
  1. kallini2010 profile image81
    kallini2010posted 11 years ago

What books would you recommend for boys age 10, if they are especially resistant to reading?

My came out as study-resistant, reading-resistant creature.  I could not even teach him to read, he was the only one needing the "special" assistance.  Not because he is not intelligent enough, quite the opposite, but because until he decides that he will do it, nothing can be done.  I tried to enforce reading, but all failed until he stumbled on R.L. Stine books.  Is there is anything else you can recommend that would be thrilling enough for him to keep the trend - reading?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7856099_f260.jpg

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

You might try a few graphic novels. They are much like comic books. They have pictures dialogue.  It might be a nice way to introduce him to the joy of reading but he won't be intimidated by pages and pages of just words.

1. profile image0
      ViolinByCourtneyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That would be my suggestion as well. Age-appropriate graphic novels, that is. Some are way too violent or sexual for a ten year old.

3. MickS profile image59
    MickSposted 11 years ago

Adventure stories of the old 'Boy's Own' type, under no circumstances anything that is politicaly correct.  I spent many years teaching reluctant boys reading, anything that they think girls might enjoy they will drop like a hot brick,

4. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

I would recommend books with pictures, but not "picture books." I would recommend books that have lots of words along with dazzling pictures. What got me excited to read were the early space books with illustrations by Chesley Bonestell. After the thrill of the pictures wore off, I found myself hungry to know more, so I started to read.

You might also consider science fiction, like "Ender's Game" -- about a boy who is given up by his parents to the military in games that are calculated to prepare for saving humanity. It's a deeply moving story and one that children of all ages can relate to.

5. Nellieanna profile image67
    Nellieannaposted 11 years ago

The answer is almost in your question, dear friend. Whatever books are suggested in the answers here to your question, if you judge them to be valuable & similar to what he has shown he likes, just get some of those books. Then leave them lying around where he circulates.  Don't suggest to him that he read them, point out their merits from YOUR perception (or as you think it would be from his) or 'push' them in any way.  Just let them lie there.
    Let the books and the boy connect - IF they can and will.  If not, get others and do the same thing.  Put the first ones in a 'library' for him to discover at some other time, perhaps once he's more into reading various books. Don't mention what you'e doing.  It won't  be a wasted effort, just not instantly successful.
    When he's chosen them of his own volition because they appeal to him - and because he has the option, just as he stumbled upon R.L.Stine books, it will be a foundation.
    Try going online to see if there are other writers comparable to that one whom might tickle his interest.  Be glad for that clue!  Good luck - and hugs!

6. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

If he's into horror, why not go back to the classics - Edgar Allen Poe. The fact that Poe wrote short stories might help, as well. Also H. P. Lovecraft. And some Ray Bradbury (especially good as he often wrote short-short stories).  If he's open to adventure tales, Jack London is good. Mark Twain for humor.

Also, read with him, read aloud to him, and talk about what you are reading.

Also, find books related to his favorite TV shows or other interests. For example, he might both watch The Dead Zone on TV and read the Stephen King original novel.

If he's open to science fiction, the classic Heinlein juvenile books are good.

If he's open to fantasy, I think the Young Wizard series by Diane Duane is great, too.

At his age, I was a big Hardy Boys fan, but that doesn't seem up his alley.

7. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 11 years ago

My life-long love of reading came, as I recall, from reading comic books.  I can recall the names of them thought it's been nearly seventy years since I first picked them up: Beano, Dandy, were my favourites.  And Film Fun.   These picture with story comics got me going.   I was later to graduate to other comics which had virtually no pictures but very interesting stories of adventure.

So my advice is very much like some that has already been mentioned.  Pictures and words that tell a story.  The natural thing is to want to find out why the pictures are changing as the story progresses.

Good luck in your efforts.

8. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 11 years ago

Funny, scarey, lots of words or lots of pictures - my list of best books for pre-teen children.   Plus here's my tips (and tricks) to help kids who are reluctant readers become eager to read more. read more

9. Borsia profile image39
    Borsiaposted 11 years ago

My first real love of reading as a boy came from the Hardy Boys series.
    They may be dated now but the stories still work and I would try giving one to see what happens.

10. richbrayan profile image63
    richbrayanposted 11 years ago

I recommend getting adventurous books with pictures on the front cover that attract the attention of 10 yr olds. My personal favorites are  the "skulduggery Pleasant" series or "Charlie Bone"series or even better "Percy Jackson" novels as these have been made into recent movies (Note there's a new Percy Jackson movie due this summer so he could start reading the book before the movie is out)

11. Grace-Wolf-30 profile image60
    Grace-Wolf-30posted 11 years ago

Roald Dahl is timeless, and a favorite for anybody at any age. All of my boys love Roald Dahl from my 8 year old to my 12 year old. Boys particularly like things that are gruesome and gory!

12. profile image0
    savvydatingposted 11 years ago

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery (equally enjoyed by adults and kids)

A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)