jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What are the primary things you look for in a home church?

1. Mommy Needs a Nap profile image83
    Mommy Needs a Napposted 5 years ago

What are the primary things you look for in a home church?

This is just kind of an informal poll to see what people look for when shopping for a new church home. I'm just curious.

2. lone77star profile image82
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

My ideal church is one that contains no dogma. There is freedom to explore the meaning of Truth, because all mortals don't have it all figured out. Too many churches have preconceived notions, many of them borne out of the days of Constantine and Justinian -- Imperial meddling in the church to politicize its teachings. Many of the old teachings were made anathema (evil) by decree. I want none of it.

When the Protestant churches were formed, they kept much of the same garbage and did not return to the roots of Christianity when they had that opportunity.

Reincarnation was very much a part of the early church. It was a common idea in the days of Jesus in and around Jerusalem. The Jewish mystics still believe in reincarnation, and their Kabbalistic "Tree of Life" is embedded in Genesis.

I'm writing a book on my discoveries -- "The Bible's Hidden Wisdom."

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-b … /x/2790782

I felt led to start this campaign in order to finish the book this year. I'd like very much to get your input and support.

Truth can never be found in any dogma. We can only read scripture, ask probing questions and discuss what it all means to each of us individually. Only God can give us Truth, if we are humble enough to receive it. Regrettably, too many already know it all in advance, though none of them can walk on water.

3. Ericdierker profile image54
    Ericdierkerposted 5 years ago

This is a wonderful question and I look forward to many answers. Walking into a church about 10 minutes before a service, is a great way to get the feel. As the church fills, does it fill with love? If I do not feel it, I do not return.

I like choirs, contemporary bands and a congregation that sings loud. I like pastors, priests, ministers, both male and female. I like reading scripture in church and for sure the Gospel. I like prayers I know and new ones to learn.

I do not think I have ever found a church that did not welcome me.

I like preaching outside under a big tree, and last week we had passerby's just stop to listen. So I would want a church that open to others.

And I do not mean this disrespectfully but I want my church to be like the old tv show "cheers". A bartender as a priest and a waitress as a deacon. I want everyone to know my name.

I think a person needs to evaluate themselves and find a church that has what they need, not what they want. I go to a second church where I get schooled by old wise priests. It is not necessarily fun, but I need it.

One last thing is diversity. I do not mean ethnic or racial. I mean age. You have got to have children running around, teenagers, newlyweds, parents all the way to great grand parents.

Again thank you for this, it helps to remind us what church should be like.

4. manatita44 profile image82
    manatita44posted 5 years ago

First I would say that the spiritual life does not change. Every shopper buys regular items such as bread, milk, eggs, vegetables .. In the same way, compassion, self-giving, love, mercy, forgiveness ... is needed in the home church just as much as anywhere.

Still, in a home church, you will get friendliness, familiarity, socials and the like. Some of us needs this because they are pleasing to the mind. No harm. Still, the deeper we go the more we will realise, that spirituality is the language of the heart.

1. Ericdierker profile image54
      Ericdierkerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

beautiful

5. lburmaster profile image81
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Music that makes me feel comfortable in a church, a fantastic missions group, a pastor who is a good speaker with very interesting messages.

working