jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Does having hope make you feel helpless?

1. profile image68
    graceinusposted 5 years ago

Does having hope make you feel helpless?

Do you sometime hope for something because you feel helpless?  It seems at time these two words run together side by side. The bible teaches on hope, but does it mean we are helpless?

2. Lor's Stories profile image59
    Lor's Storiesposted 5 years ago

Just the opposite.
    If you don't have hope then you are helpless.
    I see people who have no hope and they are helpless, although they could change things if they wanted to,
    They just give up because they think people will feel sorry for them.
    Nope. There's always reason for hope.

1. profile image68
      graceinusposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Lor's Stories- I believe that hope is just one of the many unseen gifts from God. Hope is what gives us inner strength to endure hardships and provides us with faith in knowing that something better is coming. Thank you for you answer

3. Ericdierker profile image52
    Ericdierkerposted 5 years ago

Graceinus, I am not old but I started young. A wise person told me before I embarked on a four month journey through Europe and Scandinavia, 1972. He told me to look for differences so that I could see similarities in all peoples.
    I have kept that advice.
    There are two things in this world that are everywhere. Hope and hopelessness.  And also love and a lack thereof. I have walked 4 miles into a city dump where over 200,000 people lived and found hope and love. (Mex City DF 1992). I have visited and worked for a wealthy business man who had no hope. Hope springs from love. Hope is not begotten. Hope is not dirt or water or air. Hope never dies. Hope is given us through love. Hope makes a home of cardboard and mud. Hope gives a raped woman the strength to carry on. Hope is the empowerment for those who should have none.
    Hope is why I write. Perhaps one person can find hope in my writings. And therefor I can hope for a better world for someone.
    Hope rises, and lifts us when we cannot stand.
    Hope is a sword of peace and understanding. You my friend are my hope. I am not a victim I am a victor for I emerge from the fire torn and tattered but with hope for a better life for you.

1. profile image68

Eric- I like to believe that all those who can rise above the sense of helplessness did so through the strength of hope and faith in God. Many thanks Eric

4. Crissylite profile image75
    Crissyliteposted 5 years ago

I am never helpless because of hope and faith.

1. profile image68

Crissylite- Good answer and many thanks

5. manatita44 profile image83
    manatita44posted 5 years ago

"You will say that because there is life, there is hope. You are right. But I wish to add something. Because there is hope, we live eternally - in the inner world, in the outer world, or in both worlds. You will say that hope sees illumining light in teeming darkness. You are perfectly right. But I wish to add something. Hope is itself the light that illumines darkness. I love hope. I may not love God, but in the inmost recesses of my being, in the inmost recesses of my heart, I feel that God loves me.
    Whether I love God or not, God loves me: this is my fervent hope. I may not care for God, but I do feel in all sincerity that God cares for me. Whether I care for God or not, God cares for me: this is my fervent hope."
    "Hope is kind.
    Therefore I mix with hope.
    Hope is swift.
    Therefore I run with hope.
    Hope is brave, therefore,
    I collect boundless strength
    From hope.
    Hope Is sincere.
    Therefore I invite hope
    To accompany me
    To the Golden Shore.
    Until hope becomes a promise, hope is all brittle.
    No matter what happens,
    Do not lose hope,
    For once hope is gone,
    Everything is gone." - Sri Chinmoy (Spirituai visionary)

Perhaps we can say that helplessness and hope are intertwined. Helplessness, is a lesser form of Light. Hope is the streak of Light which we see when all is seemingly dark around us.

1. profile image68

Many thanks for your answer manatita44

working