jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Is it okay to dislike someone for following an idea?

1. andrew savage profile image60
    andrew savageposted 4 years ago

Is it okay to dislike someone for following an idea?

2. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 4 years ago

Do we ever dislike someone or do we really dislike some of the habits and ideas they have, and therefore respect them for their humanity?

3. stanwshura profile image74
    stanwshuraposted 4 years ago

You have the right to dislike whoever you wish.  It is how you express that feeling, and if that feeling has merit for such expression, that determines how right or wrong it is.

4. TNT Husky profile image71
    TNT Huskyposted 4 years ago

There's nothing wrong with disliking someone, for whatever reason, whether it's them or their ideas you dislike. It's when we act on that dislike that we are questioned, sometimes criminalized, and usually led to conflict, be it by ourselves, or others.

5. Radical Rog profile image79
    Radical Rogposted 4 years ago

It is virtually guaranteed that everyone will, at some time in their life, have an idea that others don't like. Therefore disliking the idea should not automatically mean disliking the individual, otherwise where would we be? You can also dislike an individual even though you agree with some of their ideas, or do you reject a perfectly good idea simply because you don't like the individual proposing it?
    That sounds a bit like the way government works. Perfectly good ideas are rejected simply because it is proposed by someone from the opposite party. No wonder the world is in a mess.

6. wilbury4 profile image73
    wilbury4posted 4 years ago

If idea that they were following harmed you, then obviously you would dislike them for it, but if the idea was a religious or political view that simply differs from yours then no.
    We all have different ideas, would be a boring world if we didn't.

1. andrew savage profile image60
      andrew savageposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Most religious and political ideas are harmful. The people to desire war first tend to be religious (including religious atheists) and politicians.

7. sarahmoose profile image78
    sarahmooseposted 4 years ago

I think it depends on the idea. I dislike people who try to shove the ideas they believe in down my throat - everyone has the right to their own beliefs. If I think what they are following is harmful, then I would tell them, but not necessarily dislike them for it.

8. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 4 years ago

Sure, as long as we show love. We are told to love people but not necessarily
    to like them. There is a big difference in the two.