jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (29 posts)

For atheist & agnostic only : What you dislike & like about believers

1. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 6 years ago

this is only for atheist and agnostic out here...what is one thing which you dislike in believers and what is one thing you like about them...this is not in context of individual

1. profile image0
      BunuBobuposted 6 years agoin reply to this

They are very self-righteous at times.
      "Poor you, you are going to hell while I will be saved!"

They just don't understand.
      I can't choose to believe or not believe when its the factual evidence that moves me either way.
      Sometimes I t think they don't want to understand.

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 6 years agoin reply to this

can be arrogant & self-righteous & state beliefs as certain fact

pisean282311posted 6 years agoin reply to this

ya...you are quiet right...

2. chaunatye profile image60
      chaunatyeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

One of things that has always bugged me is how religious people give God credit for every good thing that happens in thier life. It irritates me because they don't seem to realize the effort that they put forth into accomplishing something.
      I will say that the people that are closest to me are almost all believers, and they are the type of people that would do anything for anybody, I know a lot of other religious people that could take a lesson from them...

1. profile image0

Very true.
        My family is very religious but they thank "people" for their efforts as well as God.

People love to say "Oh, God has blessed you!"
        Not true.
        Everything I have in life is through the kindness and love of my friends and family as well as my hard work.

Many of my friends believe in different Gods and some are Buddhists.

God didn't pay for my education! My parents did.

2. profile image61
        paarsurreyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You mean the believers are very good people?

not all...we have seen what believers can do in 9/11...but generally all humans are good...

1. profile image61
            paarsurreyposted 6 years agoin reply to this
        2. chaunatye profile image60
          chaunatyeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I do, at least the ones that I know.

2. aka-dj profile image77
    aka-djposted 6 years ago

Can I butt in?
    I don't have a point of view, I just want to ruin the thread!!

No, NOT REALLY.
    I just thought I'd show you how it feels when we get derailed1 big_smile

Have fun with your topic. I will stay out of it, henceforth. smile

derailed...when did you get derailed?...you are most welcome to comments out here ...but i wanted to get views of atheist and agnostic about how they feel about believers...

2. profile image0

Maybe you should watch TV or something smile

3. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 6 years ago

Hey. I don't have a right to an opinion, I don't know what I am.

I just thought I'd point out the title references like or dislike. It's easy to find something to fit the title

Something I dislike....

The bible thumping drives me to distraction

Something nice about them.

Ok, the ones who aren't fundamentalist aren't bad at all. I'll name names. Motown and Eaglewiki are middle of the road, seemingly good eggs.

See? Not hard at all.  smile

ya ak-aj , eaglewiki, jermani , habee , list is long...they are wonderful people...no doubt about ut...

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes. All good people, for sure. My point. Everyone defines christian by the horrible examples. They should recognize the good examples too. They all call themselves christian.

2. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.  smile  I appreciate that you think I'm a good egg.  Wish I wasn't built like one.  wink

lol

2. profile image0

lol I'm sure that's not true, but that would be a good topic of discussion. Women with body issues. Talk about indoctrination. Men don't worry about an ounce of fat,  they can be a 3 and know they're a 10, be 5' 6' and call themselves tall. The list is delusional and endless. Why are we so critical of ourselves? I'm sure you're as perfect as your spirit seems to be. smile

1. dingdondingdon profile image57
          dingdondingdonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It's very true. sad I wish our media didn't make life so hard for women. It constantly tells them to look a certain way, and even celebrities with personal trainers and a stylist with them at all times can't look that way. It's so sad.

but media is only one of the influencing factor...women didnt not get influenced by it...

1. dingdondingdon profile image57
              dingdondingdonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It's everything. Media, culture, even other people. None of us live in a vacuum of course, so we will all perpetuate silly ideas like "all women should naturally be hairless" and "a woman past the age of 35 is worthless" without even realizing we're doing it.

hmmm...

2. profile image0

Yes, and hilarious. I keep telling people we could all be that gorgeous with a half a million dollars worth of plastic surgery, a  personal make up artist and an agent that confiscated the camera of anyone who caught an unflattering picture.

I honestly believe being naturally gorgeous is a handicap. I've met a few truly physically beautiful people, but they get spotted points for this in life. The ones I've met were kind of boring. I think that's why they're called eye candy. They're fun to look at, but not much else.

2. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Awww, thank you. smile  I'm so feeling the love!  pisean, I'm sorry.  I realize I'm not an atheist/agnostic (didn't mean to hijack your thread), but I wanted to just thank just_curious for the "honorable mention" earlier.  As to being egg-shaped, nah, not really.  After all, I have legs, and eggs don't.  Well, Sheldon did in US Acres, but that's a whole other story...lol  Overall, I'm good with me as I am.  I'm going for whole, happy, and healthy in that order.  Materially, I have everything I need, so there's no need for wealth at the moment, although I'd love to have some cash to give away to folks who need it. 

smile

PS - I recently wrote about my dad - he was 5'4" tall, and I don't think he ever weighed more than 160lbs, but he was one of the BIGGEST men I ever knew...lol  All about how you see/portray yourself to the rest of the world in some cases.

4. dingdondingdon profile image57
    dingdondingdonposted 6 years ago

I have met some very kind and generous-spirited religious people, and since they credit their God or religion with their kindness I'm happy to go along with that.

However, I have also met very angry, self-righteous religious people who seem to take a mean-spirited joy in thinking about other people burning in Hell or don't know when to leave someone alone.

5. Mikeydoes profile image77
    Mikeydoesposted 6 years ago

What I dislike:

Religion occupies some(sometimes a lot) of their brainpower, a lot of people are never going to experience the miracle that is the universe and the origins of life like I can(in many possibly most cases for sure). I suppose my feelings toward finding out about life and the universe is similar to what they feel with God.

What I mean by brainpower is they spend thousands of hours on religion, these are hours that they could have spent learning a language, etc. This time could have been used elsewhere, and who knows what could be done with that time! I feel the same way about depression, and other things that weigh on the mind heavy.

I support religion and think it is great for many people, including almost all of my family.

What I like:

How it does help people cope with life, how it does turn people around.

There really are a lot of perks to religion, there is no question about that

6. Chris Fry profile image59
    Chris Fryposted 6 years ago

Is that the large majority of people who believe refuse to accept that there may not be a God. To summarize the words of Stephen Fry it is scientists who are frequently called ignorant by believers, despite the default position of science being 'this is not proof - more research is needed'.

1. earnestshub profile image87
      earnestshubposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Exactly! Many of the fundies here would not have heard of Fry, or seen his confrontation with the intellectually handicapped.

working