jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Why is it that we don't give as much thought to the Holy Spirit as we do God and

1. profile image58
    graceinusposted 4 years ago

Why is it that we don't give as much thought to the Holy Spirit as we do God and Christ our Lord?

Do we understand the responsiblity of the Holy Spirit? What exactly does the Holy Spirit do? Can we understand the context of the Bible without it's help? How do you know if the Holy Spirit is with you or not?

2. manatita44 profile image83
    manatita44posted 4 years ago

Because It is easier to talk than it is to act; it is easier to disbelieve than to believe. "I would rather feel contrition in my heart, than speak of it." Said the great Christian Saint Thomas A Kempis. "What does it matter if I should know the whole bible by rote, but feel no love in my heart....Vanity of vanities, all is vanity, but to love God and serve Him alone."
    The Holy Spirit is God's Grace flowing in and through us. Grace is always with us, but some are more receptive to its presence. The 'Comforter' is never far. It is like a diamond which is covered up. Remove the dirt, and it will shine in all its pristine glory.
    The flow of the Spirit is essential, for it transforms or burns our weaknesses to the core. Who wants to spend days and nights in discipline, punctuality and regularity of prayer? Who wants to practice self-control and to lead a virtuous life? The rich man relies on ambition or desire, for without it, he will never be rich. In the same way, without the cry for God, the yearning or earnestness for the Higher life, then the descent of the Holy Spirit will be slow and uncertain. It does not come to fulfil our earthly desires, but to inspire us to lead peaceful and soulful lives.

Here-in lies the paradox. We think its too difficult, and so we do what seems easier but will inevitably bring pain. When we eventually seek the life of the Spirit, which we must, we find that it was the easier way after all.
    The tree is known by its fruit,  and as such is the man of the Spirit recognised. We cannot put a candle under a bushel, and a city on a hill will not be hid.
    "It is easier to disbelieve than to believe because disbelief is an act of breaking, and belief is an act of building. Building is more difficult than breaking.
    It is easier to disbelieve than to believe because disbelief is an act of our self-centered mind, whereas belief is an act of our self-giving heart.".- Sri Chinmoy
    The heart, the heart ... so important in the spiritual life. Receptivity requires a childlike heart, a life of spontaneity and oneness, gratitude and above all, a loving Soul.

1. profile image58
      graceinusposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Manatita44- I know that without the guide of the Holy Spirit we will have difficulty understanding the word of God. We need to be spirit mind. It essential to know the Holy Spirit helps us to understand the Kingdom of God and His Grace. Many Thanks

2. manatita44 profile image83
      manatita44posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, my Brother, so true.

3. celafoe profile image57
    celafoeposted 4 years ago

I don't know about others but to me He is primary.    Jesus is not here with us today, He left Him here to lead us , guide us, empower us and teach us ALL truth.    He is God with us during this dispensation of time until Jesus returns bodily.   
    No, we cannot properly understand the bible unless He teaches us the truths that are in it.    Jesus made it clear He (the Holy Spirit) will teach us ALL truth.
    You will be able to put the scriptures together to make sense and not confuse   people as some do.   The reason so many people think the bible has contradictions is because of those that try to teach and do not have the guidance
    of the Holy Spirit within to teach them the truth of how it all fits together.
    if he is within you, you will know it , or He is not there.   If you are truly submitted to Him you will properly understand the bible, will speak in other tongues,  will have a great desire for others to know Him and will have signs following you as explained in scripture.
    I am constantly amazed at the number of those  professing to be Christians that do not believe that the Baptism of the Holy Spirit as a separate act is for today, when Jesus clearly said we do not have the power (ability) to be Christians until the Holy Spirit has come upon us.  Of course those are the ones confusing people,  leading so many away from Christ and to themselves instead of to Him.

1. profile image58
      graceinusposted 4 years agoin reply to this

celafoe- Spot on. Thank you.

4. Disappearinghead profile image77
    Disappearingheadposted 4 years ago

I don't believe the trinity is biblical; the idea that God can be split into three persons does not come from Judaism or Jesus. The holy spirit is not a 'he' but an 'it'; it is a term to describe God's presence when manifest upon the Earth.