Why is the sin against the Holyspirit not forgiven according to Matt 12:31?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Barine Sambaris profile image67
    Barine Sambarisposted 10 years ago

Why is the sin against the Holyspirit not forgiven according to Matt 12:31?

And what is exactly a sin against the Holy spirit which cannot be forgiven?

2. LoisRyan13903 profile image61
    LoisRyan13903posted 10 years ago

As far as I know blasphemy is the only unforgivable sin which is what is described in Matthew 12:31.  I honestly do not know what it is and should study about that more.  However, during the time of the Great Tribulation when people chose to take the sign of the anti-christ, that will not be forgiven since they chose the side of evil to live rather than choosing the side of good (but being executed).  Maybe that verse is a bit of prophetic warning of what is yet to come.

3. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

I've always been told that it is the sin of not listening and believing. They never accept Christ as their Saviour, so they don't go to heaven. I think this is a difficult verse to understand.

4. Wakerra profile image73
    Wakerraposted 10 years ago

This is when you completely deny Christ and God when you have a sure and sound understanding of them.  To blaspheme against the witness of the Holy Ghost and fight against God.  These are also known as "Sons of Perdition".  Lucifer/Satan/The Devil falls under this category.

I think the key here is a complete witness, the undeniable surety that you know these things are true, and yet you'd turn around and fight against it

1. LaurieNunley517 profile image81
      LaurieNunley517posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I believe this answer.  The unforgiveable sin is blatant disbelief...refusal to believe.

2. Barine Sambaris profile image67
      Barine Sambarisposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I do agree with you

5. Judah's Daughter profile image77
    Judah's Daughterposted 10 years ago

If you read Matthew 12 in context of Jesus' statement in vs. 31 "but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven", we need to go back to vss. 22-30.  Jesus had just cast out demons and was accused that the power (the Spirit) by which He did so, was that of Beelzebul (Satan).  To blaspheme the Holy Spirit is to attribute what is of God to that of Satan.  Thus, those who are deceived and take the mark by following after the false god (the Antichrist will claim to be God - blasphemy of the Holy Spirit), they attribute what is of Satan to being of God or vise versa.  It is the unforgivable sin.

Those who crucified Jesus that were of His chosen (Israel), though many of them were of Edom (including Judas), were ignorant that they just crucified their Messiah.  For this reason, Jesus prayed on that cross, as recorded in Luke 23:34 "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."  They accused HIM of blasphemy, while they were ignorantly guilty of blasphemy.

I also warn people who say the gifts of the Spirit, namely speaking in tongues, is of the Devil.  They do this in ignorance and I pray forgiveness is granted to those who repent.  They are walking a fine line of blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

1. glynch1 profile image67
      glynch1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Speaking in languages unknown to the believer was a gift of the Spirit in the early Church. After the canon of Scripture was completed, the Church no longer needed this sign gift. What people speak today is gibberish, not a known language. I'm sorry.

2. Judah's Daughter profile image77
      Judah's Daughterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

1 Cor 13 was written before 1 Cor 14.  God's gifts are irrevocable.  He doesn't give them to take them away.  "That which is perfect is come" (1 Cor 13:10)  is speaking of Him, our Lord Jesus, whom we will see face-to-face. Phil 1:6

3. glynch1 profile image67

God isn't giving the gift of apostleship today; apostles had to be eyewitnesses of the Resurrection. He is not giving the gift of prophecy today in the sense of predicting the future and proclaiming new revelation, because we have a completed canon.

4. dianetrotter profile image61
      dianetrotterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

glynch1, it drives me nuts when people call themselves apostles.

5. glynch1 profile image67

dianetrotter,
      If those who call themselves apostles would only read the Scriptures, they would see that they do not qualify. But alas! Scripture is the last thing that concerns them (or so it seems).

6. celafoe profile image55
      celafoeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

glynch it is clear you have had more than your share of the kool aid.   there is nothing in the new covenant that has passed away yet.

7. glynch1 profile image67

I do not drink Kool-Aid; I do not even like it. Why so caustic?. You have read my other hubs; you know I do not swallow the latest theological fads. God will fulfill the New Covenant with Israel in the future. Do you see apostles and prophets today?

8. Judah's Daughter profile image77

1 Cor 14:39 "Therefore, my brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak in tongues."

9. glynch1 profile image67

Judah's Daughter,
      Yes. When Paul wrote 1 Corinthians, it would have been wrong to forbid anyone from exercising this gift. God used it as a sign to provoke the Jews to consider the gospel as truth. However, the gift ceased after the NT was completed.

10. Judah's Daughter profile image77

glynch1 - to say 'that which is perfect' is the canon is opinion.  What is in part will be complete when we see Jesus face-to-face (1 Cor 13:12). Ch 14 was written after 13. God's gifts are irrevocable (they do not cease) - Rom 11:29.

11. glynch1 profile image67

If you examine the context of Romans 11, Paul is not referring to spiritual gifts here, but to God's election of Israel as His people.

12. Judah's Daughter profile image77

That is not true, glynch1.  The context of Rom 11 shows that the natural branches can be cut off and must not continue in their disbelief to be grafted in again.  Rom 11:29 and 1 Cor 12:31 = charismata (gifts of the Spirit).  You are obviously blind.

13. glynch1 profile image67

God will fulfill His covenants with Israel when Christ returns. Charismata here speak of the privileges Israel had as God's people (Romans 9:4,5). Tongues have ceased of themselves (1 Cor. 13:8). There is no reason for you to launch personal attacks.

14. Barine Sambaris profile image67

I do agree with Judah's daughter that God's gifts are irrevocable and practical to all generations. The thing is, most people misuse it, while others do not know how to use it.

6. MickeySr profile image79
    MickeySrposted 10 years ago

Jesus said that no one can come to Him unless the Father draws them, He actually said in a prayer that He was NOT praying for everyone but was praying only for those the Father gives to Him . . . the way the Father draws men to Jesus in through the Holy Spirit, unless a person is convicted of sin and Jesus is revealed to them as their only hope, and they do indeed turn to Him, they cannot be saved - it is the work of the Holy Spirit who brings us to that point. So, if you are a believer, a Christian, if you are saved it is because the Holy Spirit has convicted you of sin, brought you to Jesus, and given you the gift of eternal life - if you reject that work, if you sin against the Holy Spirit drawing you to Jesus, etc, then there is no other forgiveness available to you.

God has determined that He will redeem men, and He as established the means by which He saves us is through the sacrificial work of Jesus and the convicting and enlightening work of the Holy Spirit - God has ordained the way of salvation, if we resist it, if we deny Jesus and sin against the Holy Spirit's effort to open our eyes and soften our heart, then there remains no hope for us, there is no other way God has set forth for men to be saved . . . so, sin against the Holy Spirit = remain unforgiven.

1. profile image0
      snapcracklepopposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Because sinning against the the holy spirit which is God's active force, by which he uses to accomplish His will, is denying the operation of it in a person's life,  just as the wicked religious leaders of Jesus day did.

7. dianetrotter profile image61
    dianetrotterposted 10 years ago

In this passage, He was addressing the Pharisees.  The Pharisees saw the miracles He had done and attributed them to Satan.  That is a hardness of the hard.  Imagine giving false testimony in court.  We know that when we confess He is faithful and just to forgive us of all unrighteousness.  Peter denied Christ but then grieved and asked for forgiveness.  Questioning whether or not you have committed the unforgivable is a good sign.  At that  point, ask the Lord for forgiveness of sins you are aware of and ask for conviction of the things you don't know about.  After conviction, ask for forgiveness of those sins also.

1. Disappearinghead profile image61
      Disappearingheadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think this is the best answer. The others are speculation based upon personal interpretation. The point is Jesus was talking to Pharisees who said his works were of Satan. This is the blasphemy, nothing more.

2. dianetrotter profile image61

Bless you Disappearinghead!

8. glynch1 profile image67
    glynch1posted 10 years ago

We must examine the context to arrive at a reasonable conclusion. I include an excerpt from my commentary to try to accomplish this objective.

The Lord’s next miracle creates another ruckus among His enemies. After hearing the multitudes (who have just witnessed Jesus heal a blind and deaf man by casting out a demon [v. 22]) ask if He is the Messianic king (“the Son of David”) [v. 23], the Pharisees jump on this opportunity to turn the people against the Lord, accusing Christ of using Satanic power to perform this miracle (v. 24). Drawing upon His omniscience (v. 25; cf. 9:4), Christ rebukest His opponents (vv. 25-37), demolishing their contention that He is using Beelzebub (“the lord of flies”—a Philistine deity), whom He identifies as Satan, to cast out demons. Jesus says, in effect, “Satan would never do such a stupid thing. He would destroy his own kingdom by exorcising his own subjects” (vv. 25-26).

Jesus takes the position that His power derives from the Holy Spirit, and states that this exercise of authority proves that He represents the Kingdom of God (v. 28).  At this point Christ, referring back to His previous discussion with the Pharisees about Satanic exorcism (“Therefore”), declares His condemnation of anyone attributing the Holy Spirit’s work to the devil. God forgives every offense, except “the blasphemy of the Spirit” (v. 31). One “speaking a word against the Son of Man” (Jesus) God may forgive, but one “speaking against the Holy Spirit” will never experience remission (v. 32). [Ryrie believes that this “unpardonable sin” pertained only to the times when Jesus dwelt on Earth; no one during the Church Age can commit this offense (27).]

9. Maggie Bennett profile image59
    Maggie Bennettposted 10 years ago

Well, I think this is very simple and doesn't even need a scripture reference.  Jesus is something you may or may not believe in. He is a religious figure from history.  The Holy Spirit is actually with us here on the planet and will make itself known to those wishing it too....or if the Holy Spirit  wishes too. Denying that after being shown is just fool hardy.  I believe that is why it is unforgivable.

1. MickeySr profile image79
      MickeySrposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's a dangerous thing to concoct doctrine apart from Scripture. The work of the Holy Spirit is to glorify Jesus. Being foolhardy is not unforgivable. Jesus is not merely a historic figure, rejecting the Holy Spirit's reveal of this is unforgivable.

2. glynch1 profile image67

Jesus is not "something"; He is a Someone. If you end up in Heaven, it will be because you come to know Him as your Savior. He claimed to be God in human form. The Spirit is not an "it"; He is the third Person of the Trinity. Please read the Bible.

3. Maggie Bennett profile image59
      Maggie Bennettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What if I'm not a Christian?  The Holy Spirit makes it self known too all.  Sorry if you do not understand that.

4. Maggie Bennett profile image59

I thought I responded to this.   The Holy Spirit makes itself known to all ... therefore if you ignore the Holy Spirit that is unforgivable.  I'm not concocting anything. 

I also have the most read Bible of anyone I know.

5. MickeySr profile image79
      MickeySrposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If the Holy Spirit makes Himself known to all then all would come to Jesus and be Christian. What you are saying is God forgives rape and murder and all - except foolhardiness. It has nothing to do with Jesus being past and the holy Spirit here now.

6. glynch1 profile image67

I am afraid you are the one who does not understand the theology of  the Holy Spirit. Again, He is not an "it," an impersonal force; He is a Person in the Godhead. Without the Spirit's enablement, you will never understand the Bible's message.

7. Maggie Bennett profile image59

MickeySr.....I answered the question posted and stand by that answer.   What you are asking now has nothing to do with Matt 12:31 an therefore isn't relevant to this conversation.

8. Barine Sambaris profile image67

I do know that the Holy Spirit was sent after Jesus left, to comfort and teach us, and also to make us bold (evident in the apostles after the Pentecost) But he doesn't just manifest to everyone, only real children of God, who believe in God.

10. profile image61
    barrierbreakerposted 10 years ago

When I, as an atheist, look at scriptures like this and the conversations on them, I wonder...if God loved the world and wanted to make sure all people were saved, would he really have made it so hard to understand?  Even the most intelligent scholars struggle with that question.  Wouldn't this be one of the things God would really try to make clear?

1. dianetrotter profile image61

Hi barrier, I haven't read where scholars struggle over it.  People who don't study the Word are not able to put it in context.  The passage should not be lifted out and addressed.  The Scriptures before provide the setting.  out of space :-(

2. glynch1 profile image67

God's eternal decree did not include everyone's salvation; Christ died for His sheep only. The Scriptures are sufficiently clear in most places;  however, only the Spirit can open the mind so that we can believe. The "wise" regard Scripture as folly

3. celafoe profile image55

scripture is not difficult to understand, the difficult part is accepting the blood of Christ as payment for your sin, when you dont think you are a sinner and then submitting to the Holy Spirit to give you the understanding of scripture

4. Barine Sambaris profile image67

I agree with the other comments.  God did not make the scriptures difficult, we just need to open our minds to the holy spirit.

11. lone77star profile image75
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

The Holy Spirit is the true self (when ego is vanquished).

If you deny the child of God within (soul, Holy Ghost), then you are blocking your true self its chance at salvation -- reawakening -- turning back to God -- removing the separation between self and all through love.

Denying your own true self is worse than suicide, for it is the selfishness of enforced separateness -- an amplification of the original sin.

1. celafoe profile image55

WHAT???  we are not the Holy Spirit , we are to submit to, learn from and follow Him.

2. Barine Sambaris profile image67

The Holy Spirit is another divine entity of God meant to teach, comfort and inspire us. We listen to him and not to our 'true self'. A person with a 'true self' as you said is someone who actually listens to the Holy Spirit.

12. profile image0
    snapcracklepopposted 7 years ago

The Pharisees and the Sadducees denied that the operation of God's holy spirit was with His son, Jesus Christ...These wicked religious leaders  accused Jesus of getting his power to perform miracles from Satan the devil.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)