jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Have you ever used religion as a shield?

1. CrescentSkies profile image87
    CrescentSkiesposted 4 years ago

Have you ever used religion as a shield?

Many people now adays justify things by saying "it's in the bible so it's fine" or "I'm doing it in god's name so I'm right" even when they're blatantly breaking or ignoring large sections of the religion they're supposedly acting in the name of. *cough Al Qaeda cough cough*. Have you ever been guilty of this mentally or otherwise?

2. Renee Abbott profile image85
    Renee Abbottposted 4 years ago

No, and I use to love to smash those shields of people who justify anything with Religion and their bibles. I have learned though to stay away from it all, for those who need to justify things, cant be talked too, and it just makes me like them. I wont play the game anymore.

1. dashingscorpio profile image88
      dashingscorpioposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You are right. Logic tends to fall on deaf ears with these types of people. :-)

2. Renee Abbott profile image85
      Renee Abbottposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes it does. You ever listen to them putting down another religious group for killing people etc, but it is okay for them? fascinating!!!!

3. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

No! I think those that do "cherry pick" the verses/scriptures they want to follow and ignore those they don't want to follow.
    If all the "bible thumpers" really bought into the "love thy neighbor as thyself", "thy shall not kill", and "judge not lest he be judged" it would be end of war, all forms of discrimination, racism, and sexism in a single day! Marriage equality and national healthcare would be the way of the land just based on those 3 verses.
    However one of the things that makes the bible so fascinating is there is a verse to justify whatever stance one might have! One verse says "An eye for an eye" and another verse says, "Turn the other cheek".
    Founding fathers of the U.S. believed it was "Manifest Destiny", God's plan for them (take) land from the Native Americans and Mexico in order to expand west. Terrorist use God as their justification for attacking other countries. Once again if we all lived by the 3 verses mentioned earlier the world would be a different place.

1. Lady Guinevere profile image61
      Lady Guinevereposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree 100 percent!

4. connorj profile image75
    connorjposted 4 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8002981_f260.jpg

No I have not in (direct) relation to what you have provided in your summary, that is, used religion as a shield however, "in a sense" I believe I have been shielded by a sacramental (a part of the Catholic religion)...
    My best friend suffered from a brain anerysm on News Eve 2002. After his wife called me I went to his hospital room and with his nurses' permission I placed a brown scapular (it was my wife's scapular) on him close to Midnight on News Year Eve. This particular scapular is considered a Catholic form of a sacramental. The next day after his brain surgery the surgeon, (drug) induced Don into a comatose state to maximize his chances at recovery. Within 5 days I became naturally comatose and eventually ended up in the room beside him. I was initially pronounced brain-dead at another hospital before I was shipped to the hospital where Don was. We both fully recovered. He was out of his coma a week ahead of me. Both of us fully and most rapidly recovered. I played ice hockey with him 2 weeks ago. I am a licensed psychologist and had to undergo significant testing to ensure my cognitive ability was not compromised;  if anything it has been enhanced significantly...

5. WalterPoon profile image81
    WalterPoonposted 4 years ago

No, I don't, and my reason is very simple. I am not a follower of any particular religion because I believe in all religions. To me, all religions are mere vehicles to spirituality and not an end in itself. Each of them has something good to offer. It all boils down to a pure, loving heart, free from greed and hatred. We don't need to justify because we know our own intentions. If anything is done out of selfishness and not "unconditional selflessness", then you know that you can hide behind any verse, and it won't make a difference. At the end of the day, the only person you can manage to cheat is only you yourself.

6. JimTxMiller profile image78
    JimTxMillerposted 4 years ago

No----------------------------------------------.

working