jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Could mass prayer by millions or even billions effect a soul's journey into the

1. Sirius Centauri profile image74
    Sirius Centauriposted 4 years ago

Could mass prayer by millions or even billions effect a soul's journey into the afterlife?

We're told that sometimes people don't die because they themselves are waiting for something but that other times others' wishes keep them.What do you think happens when so many people in the world pray for your recovery in your old age? Do you think the magnitude of the energy from so many people effects a soul's position or journey? If so, how? Do you think Nelson Mandela's time just hasn't come or do you think there's a chance that the world's continued prayers for his recovery and people's refusal to let him go, may be a factor in his staying alive in spite of his old age and ill health?

2. Carola Finch profile image97
    Carola Finchposted 4 years ago

I am a Christian who believes that intercessory prayer does work..  A Biblical example is Hezekiah, who, when he heard he was about ti die prayed to God to extend his life. God heard his prayer and his life was extended 15 years.

3. lambservant profile image94
    lambservantposted 4 years ago

I believe as Carola does. I also believe that God has a specific plan for our entry and our departure. God will heal if we pray "according to His will." In other words praying Thy will be done.

God loves to hear our prayers and sometimes he answers them the way we hope and other times he doesn't. But as a follower of God and Christ Jesus, I believe that man cannot thwart God's plan, that His will does not always make sense to me, but that I can fully trust His way is right.

"This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him." 1John 5:14-15

4. Lady_E profile image76
    Lady_Eposted 4 years ago

If people have very good intentions towards a person and really wish the person well, it sends a lot of positive energy to that person (The power of Intent) - how much more prayer. So, yes prayer can keep him alive.

Personally, I think Mandela lived to his 90s because God rewarded/compensated him for not only the horrible things he went through, but for also not retaliating with bitterness. He sought peace and love. Very powerful qualities which have a great impact on the person giving. Mother Teresa was similar.

People want him to stay alive forever. :-)  Maybe his time hasn't come.

1. celafoe profile image57
      celafoeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

what does positive energy have to do with Christianity?   I can not find any reference in scripture for this.

5. celafoe profile image57
    celafoeposted 4 years ago

no  ---------------------------------------------------------

6. mintinfo profile image74
    mintinfoposted 4 years ago

I believe that prayer works but not in the way that religious people believe it does. The mind is a powerful thing that our lack of understanding has attributed to fantasy. Consider the pseudo effect.

As far as Mandela, I believe that he has a very strong spirit. He believes in the goodness of humanity which has carried him through the adversities in his life. I am writing a blog on him that I haven’t finished yet. If humans were created for the pursuit of fairness, equity, and accountability he is very close to it.

7. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 4 years ago

It takes only one faithful prayer to see results and millions are not needed.
    Someone who loves him and has great faith could be keeping him alive

James 5:16
    ."...and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."

But one day, he will have to go because we all do