jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)

Why was Moses not able to enter the promised land?

1. RogerSanchezJr profile image74
    RogerSanchezJrposted 4 years ago

Why was Moses not able to enter the promised land?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

Moses was not allowed to enter the Promised Land because he struck the rock twice, instead of speaking to the rock as God had told him to.

1. Oscarlites profile image38
      Oscarlitesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

All of Israel had a problem getting in it seemed. they kept doing it the wrong way.. round and round they went ..

2. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Israel is still God's people and he will never abandon them. In the end they will come out on top

3. Porshadoxus profile image78
    Porshadoxusposted 4 years ago

Moses was not disallowed from the Promised Land for simple disobedience to God. That would not be like God, especially with a sacrificial system in place to remove sin. Moses' case goes deeper.

The Old Testament is full of 'types', a technical term referring to event pictures that foreshadow New Testament realities.

When Moses struck the rock, he ruined the type that God was trying to present. Jesus had to be crucified (struck) just once. After that, we can speak freely to Him. Moses struck the rock (Jesus) a second time, preventing the type from being properly portrayed. For this deeper reason, Moses was disallowed from the Promised Land.

1. profile image0

GOD'S POWER AND GLORY WOULD HAVE BEEN SHOWN IN THE SIMPLE ACT OF SPEAKING TO THE ROCK but only man's power in striking it. It was because he struck it instead of speaking to it.

2. Oscarlites profile image38

interesting; yes typology is apparent, but Ive never been that deep..

3. profile image0
      BrendaJames2posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I doubt it would have mattered how many times he struck it, just that he did and did not speak to it. I don't see any correlation between this and Jesus

4. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 4 years ago

This was answered before
    Here's the answer and all you have to do is read it in scripture

(Numbers 20)

“God spoke to Moses, saying, 'Take the staff and assemble the congregation, you and your brother Aaron, and speak to the rock in their presence so that it will give forth its water. You shall bring forth water for them from the rock, and give the congregation and their livestock to drink.'

“Moses took the staff from before the Lord as He had commanded him. Moses and Aaron assembled the congregation in front of the rock, and he said to them, 'Now listen, you rebels, can we draw water for you from this rock?'

“Moses raised his hand and struck the rock with his staff twice, when an abundance of water gushed forth, and the congregation and their livestock drank.

“God said to Moses and Aaron, 'Since you did not have faith in Me, to sanctify Me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore you shall not bring this assembly to the Land which I have given them.'"

What exactly was Moses' and Aaron's sin? What did they do wrong?

God told Moses to speak to the rock. Instead, Moses struck the rock (his brother Aaron complied). It was this error of Moses that prevented him from entering the Holy Land. ANY MAN CAN STRIKE A ROCK BUT IT TAKES GOD'S POWER JUST TO SPEAK TO IT.

Want more about the reasons why? I’ll write a hub on it.

Numbers 20

8. Take the rod, and gather thou the assembly together, thou, and Aaron thy brother, and speak ye unto the rock before their eyes; and it shall give forth his water, and thou shalt bring forth to them water out of the rock: so thou shalt give the congregation and their beasts drink.

11. And Moses lifted up his hand, and with his rod he smote the rock twice: and the water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their beasts also.

1. Oscarlites profile image38

wow Deborah, you are on fire!.. I would say yes, even before reading, it was due to unbelief or lack of faith. but maybe now I would add, that the man or human rose up, and did it "his way" as we all fail sometimes and some of us more than others!.

2. profile image0

God wanted the glory. He would have gotten it if Moses had spoke, but sice he struck the rock instead, it was Moses who got the glory

5. Attikos profile image78
    Attikosposted 4 years ago

Though there is a lot of history in it, the Old Testament is not a history book. It instead is a collection of traditional moral stories, most of them transmitted only verbally before having been written down following the return of the Jewish ruling class from its captivity in Babylon. Their purpose is to serve as illustration of theology, ethics and tribal legend, not a factual record. They never were meant to be taken literally.

The moral of the tale of God's denial of Moses' wish to cross the Jordan into the new territory the Hebrew tribes were taking for their own has two audiences. The first is the ruling class, the lesson for whom is that it must obey the priests or face punishing consequences. The second is the common people, whose lesson is that the ruling class is under the direction of God, not themselves, and that they may rest assured He will chastise any failure to follow instructions even by  a great man such as Moses. The people need not to interfere with that arrangement. Democracy was not a feature of their political culture.

I realize some will find it challenging to hear it, but reading too much Christian symbolic detail into the Old Testament stories is usually a mistake. They had purposes other than that when they were written by the scribes of the Temple, and the church's habit of fitting them into its own later theological view frequently obscures those meanings. It is often better to look at them clearly as they are, without that misguiding overlay.

6. profile image0
    BrendaJames2posted 4 years ago

By striking the rock, in the eyes of the people, Moses received all the praise and not God

7. celafoe profile image62
    celafoeposted 4 years ago

Because of his disobedience, because of his lack of faith in God   .   God said speak to the rock and  instead he struck the rock as he had previously done successfully instead of doing what the new command was.

working