jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Are heterosexual couples being married under the true laws of Yahweh Elohim?

1. John Sarkis profile image83
    John Sarkisposted 4 years ago

Are heterosexual couples being married under the true laws of Yahweh Elohim?

When Moses wrote the Torah, synagogues, churches and mosques didn't exist; additionally, Moses wasn't a Rabbi, Minister, or Imam, but merely a religious leader.  Last, the USA has poly-laws - Anglo Saxon, Norman (viking), Roman, Greek, and snippets from the Bible.  In summation, how can heterosexual couples be fully certain they're being united under the true laws of Yahweh?

2. modernalchemyst profile image95
    modernalchemystposted 4 years ago

Good question. They can't. U.S. Marriage law, solely by prohibiting polygamy, incest, and the forced marriage between a woman and her rapist, is not the law allegedly laid out in the OT by YHWH. "Traditional Blblical marriage" is between a man and his wife and his wife and his wife and so on. And for those who claim, "That doesn't count, it's OT law that Christ released us from with his death on the cross!" Anyone who has ever been divorced and remarried for any reason is not actually married according to God's law in the New Testament.

Second marriages aren't just adulterous; they're not recognized as marriages at all by Jewish law, which is what the whole "traditional marriage" argument is based on. Hence, they're adulterous relationships because a legal divorce can't nullify the original marriage in God's eyes, so any subsequent marriages, regardless of their legal status in the culture of their day, would not be recognized by God.

But I'm sure the movement to ban second and third marriages to preserve the "sanctity of marriage," is on its way as soon as they're done handling gay marriage. wink

1. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Divorce is permitted in the NT in the case of adultery.

2. John Sarkis profile image83
      John Sarkisposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.  I've learned more than I bargained for.  Additionally, I had no idea about "second marriages."  - Very informative!

3. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 4 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome John.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

This of course is only a question for the Jewish community. As a Christian as long as you are joined together in the eyes of God you are of course considered married.

1. John Sarkis profile image83
      John Sarkisposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Good point!  However, at least 50% of Islam and Christianity is based on the Torah/OT, so you cannot just simply override it by saying that it doesn't pertain to Christianity.

working