If you could erase 99% of population.....Would you?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (40 posts)
  1. residentstone profile image59
    residentstoneposted 5 years ago

If you could erase 99% of population.....Would you?

So, if you had a genetic timebomb, that would instantly erase 99% of the population in 1 shot, would you squeeze the trigger?  Bear in mind it would effect all races and cultures equally and would still leave 70 million+ people to start over with? And most likely leave the planet a much more pleasant place to live.

2. Mr. Thinktank profile image78
    Mr. Thinktankposted 5 years ago

Haha this sounds like some evil plot to a bond movie or something. The truth is, I don't know if starting over would really make that much difference. Humans can reproduce incredibly fast and it wouldn't take that long before humans would be back to the population we have today. I think most people wish the plannet had less occupants so going to work in traffic wouldn't be that bad and there would be less competition for things, but honestly, even if I had this mythical weapon I wouldn't use it. I mean, what if you wipe out the next Einstein, Steve Jobs, or Mozart? Although overcrowding is a problem that we need to start addressing, I don't think the best solution is to have a massive death cloud consume most of the plannet.

residentstoneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think it could give our grandchildren a chance.

3. Borsia profile image46
    Borsiaposted 5 years ago

scary, but yes I probably would; although I would rather it also revive the planet's resources to the point they were when the population hit 70 million.
    Just in case you are curious I would do it even if I were to be among the "removed" 99%.
    Hopefully the remaining 1% would retain the knowledge we have of what happens when the planet is pushed beyond its capacity so that they could make better decisions than we did.

Scary?, I think it would be wonderful.

4. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 5 years ago

No, I would not squeeze the trigger.  I've been fantasizing about something like that happening at least from the time I was eleven years of age (the memory is clear), but I'd not care for the die-off to be by my hand.

Why not?

Simply put, a decision of that magnitude is above my pay grade.  I firmly believe every incarnated Soul is here to learn, that the high population numbers we currently face allow us to do that in (obviously) greater numbers, and far be it from me to make the sort of Last Judgment call that decides when that learning opportunity will be truncated.

I could, however, deal well enough with a different but related question:

"If you knew the 99% eraser was coming and had the option of going or staying to help the remaining millions recover, would you stay?"

If THAT were the question, then yes, I'd be willing to stay on to help out for a while.  Getting knocked down to 70 million planet-wide would mean a return to a non-technological society for quite some time.  Having a few old codgers around who could work "both sides of the street", i.e. city life or backwoods survival, could make a significant long term difference for the human race.

Well, I did'nt say exsisting infrastructure would be gone, and that would leave like 3.5 million in USA alone, I think we could swing it.

5. Attikos profile image77
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

Elimination of all but a relative handful of people would throw those who survived into a primitive subsistence economy. There would be nothing to eat you didn't kill or raise for yourself, no shelter from the winter you didn't provide and no air conditioning in the summer, no building materials with which to keep your house patched up against the weather, no treated water, no medicines, no rabies vaccinations for the packs of roaming animals that would form. So few of the remaining one percent would live through it the ability of the human race to continue would be doubtful.

No, I would not pull the trigger. Threatening as are the problems from seven billions and growing of occupants in this little world, the alternative is far worse.

Again, I think we could figure it out with 3.5 million in USA alone. It would be like 70,000 per state. Enough to work hard.

2. Attikos profile image77
      Attikosposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Not enough to keep modern life support systems going. Not even close. Of those 70,000, perhaps one or two percent would have the survival skills to survive. Everyone else would die.

3. residentstone profile image59

World population was at 70 million in 1300ad, so we made it from there with flying colors, and are knowledge is 1000 fold since the dark ages, so why not?

4. Attikos profile image77

Why could a 21st century population of any size not survive the sudden onset of a hunter-gatherer economy, or even a hardscrabble agrarian one? You don't really need to ask, do you? No one has their skills or built-up immunity to disease anymore.

5. Borsia profile image46
      Borsiaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It didn't say that technology was going to go with them and 70 million would be able to do most of what you say would be lost, if not all.

6. residentstone profile image59

I do, I could leave right now with knife and fire and survive anywhere in the world, island, woods, jungle, mountain, anywhere. And so could others.

7. Attikos profile image77

A planet of seventy million couldn't keep today's technology going. It couldn't even train new generations in it. It couldn't feed itself, stop plagues, or maintain trade and transportation systems. You're fantasizing. I've had enough silliness here.

6. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

No, everyone who is living has the right to do so. What gives anyone the right to play God. Would this elimination include yourself? I don't believe so.

Why would it in a hypothetical scenario? It's not like I have one J.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Of course it is hypothetical residentstone. Do you not find my observation fair?

If thats how you feel, sure, it's not how I feel, but thats life.

4. profile image0

Yes, that's life. In which every single person on this Earth deserves to have. This is a ridiculous "hypothetical" question.

5. residentstone profile image59

Why do they deserve J, because someone had sex and they popped out?? I dont buy it, nobody DESERVES anything.

6. profile image0

So, how about you. Are you deserving?

7. residentstone profile image59

In my scenario, I am, duh, lol. And yes, I think I am, oh, I'm not like other people J, not at all.

8. profile image0

You my friend need a "HUGE" wake up call. You are no more deserving than a homeless person barely surviving on the streets. We are all equal!!

9. residentstone profile image59

No J, you have no idea what I need, nor I, you. And yes, I am better than the majority of mindless slugs, lethargically leeching their way through life, the majority of humans make me sick, not all, just most.

10. profile image0

SMH God help you!

11. residentstone profile image59

OK a 5 minute trip to Walmart for coffee just reconfirmed my answer, Yes I would push it for sure!

7. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 5 years ago

No I wouldn't. Attikos pointed out some very good reasons the planet wouldn't be a better place. Also, I think 70 million plus people would still find enough things to kill each other over.

8. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 5 years ago

Interesting concept. I will have to accept your math of 1% = 70 Million. Seems lore and fairy tales said they did that last time with tossing out 1/3. Next, they decided on a boat full. Now, 99% is a giant leap with a hypothesis, yet definitely more than a boat full.

The meta-level message says "And most likely leave the planet" being yeah, I guess that does make sense, however where do they go? The conclusion being the planet a much more pleasant place to live seems to be thought as true. I ponder live as much as the proposed hypothesis.

Ponder, if they do not leave the planet then the compost piles will be immense for a few years anyway. Could 70 million handle that ecological challenge with disposal? A whole lot of thought to consider with regard to pollution and stuff. Of course I am gong with the genetic time bomb theory being all at once as "1 shot." The polio vaccine seemed to offer the opposite effect and it was one shot. Stop offering those may be the solution? 

I think if I ever caught wind of that being a real hypothesis I would simply phone home like ET and head out of here. What an immense challenge for ecologist. Hmmm, if that is the desired outcome I know what I will study in school today.

The cusp of that as a disaster would probably plummet life to extinction pretty fast including wildlife. I really do not think 70 million would be able to keep up with the production of volatile gasses. Those race cars making over 8,0000 horsepower from a couple gallons of Nitro-Methane offer an example of what would happen when a match would be lit.

The remake movie with Jeff Goldblum portraying an insect character likened to the earlier version with Vincent Price may predict a precursor to the hypothesis before the match was struck.

Overall, too complex. Need a different hypothesis. Maybe condoms and education from one perspective and natural from another. Both lead to the same ending with time being the element of surprise.

tim

Ok, dude, they would magically be transported 400 million light years away to a different galaxy, no rotting corpses to deal with, better?

2. tsmog profile image82
      tsmogposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hello residentstone. I am a realist at times, other times an optimist, and others a pessimist. Usually i seek being a realist first and then ponder the next two. That may be a toss of a coin, wait and see, or ponder more. With the new criteria . . .

You make my brain hurt, and I like that :0)

9. Sri T profile image77
    Sri Tposted 5 years ago

Of course not. I have met so many good people. At one time I thought about it when considering the bad people. But later I learned how to handle the bad ones. In fact, I am grateful for the bad people because they opened a huge door of wisdom for me that l never knew existed. So now life is a continuous celebration every day.

10. IDONO profile image81
    IDONOposted 5 years ago

No. How could I be so arrogant or self-confident to believe that I would keep the right 1%?

1. profile image0

Bravo Idono!!

2. residentstone profile image59

That 1% is here now anyway, what the harm be in thinning the herd. Again, stop crying, it's a hypothetical question that is not going to happen anyway. SO touchy.

3. cat on a soapbox profile image95
      cat on a soapboxposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Great response! New leaders will be as bad as the old ones because ego infects the powerful. Deja vu.

11. MSGolden51 profile image80
    MSGolden51posted 5 years ago

I would not participant in destroying none of the population, if this could have been done, it probably would have been done already, and how would someone know who would be left behind.

You would'nt thats the beauty of it.

12. Insane Mundane profile image60
    Insane Mundaneposted 5 years ago

Oh, great, we have to start over, AGAIN?  Dang, how many times do we have to do this?  No wonder those advanced races that used crystal technology and free energy devices got the hell out of here a long time ago...  LOL!
    Give it time, dear humanoid lover, and the population will eventually settle to a number that makes mother nature happy, in due time.  Then again, you could always wait for 'em to build you a special hotel resort via space stations, but I wouldn't hold your breath, nor would I look forward to the radiation found in deep space.  The space monkeys do say that the frozen doughnuts are nice this time of year, on planet Uranus.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)