jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)

If I firmly believed in God, what would be your best argument to make me change

1. stuff4kids profile image96
    stuff4kidsposted 4 years ago

If I firmly believed in God, what would be your best argument to make me change my mind?

2. JMcFarland profile image86
    JMcFarlandposted 4 years ago

There isn't a go to argument that makes deconversion instantaneous.  Its different for everybody.  The biggest thing that started fostering doubt in me was examining the evidence for myself and moving beyond what I was being taught in church.  If you have an open mind and resolve to follow the evidence regardless of where it leads, you'll find that there really isn't evidence - at least not of the sort that would be compelling to you if you weren't a believer already.

3. cjhunsinger profile image74
    cjhunsingerposted 4 years ago

The obvious fact that you have asked such a question indicates that you are on the road to objective reasoning thought. Good for you.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

Why do we ask children to believe in Santa Clause? Is it to make them behave throughout the year? Give them a sense of justice; the bad children don't get presents but the good ones do. Is it because we want to give them a sense of magic in their lives, one that incorporates goals and rewards? Santa serves many good purposes, but ultimately he isn't real. So the question any believer needs to ask themselves is; why do we ask adults to believe in God?

5. profile image0
    Antoine Van Hoveposted 4 years ago

I declared myself ignorant to be able to know.
    What I do find, is that pretending to know, who God is, what God is, and what he/she (Always a he?) wants, is nothing but pure human (ignorant) vanity.
    The concept of "God" probably is one big projection of ourselves. As we probably have this enormous potential project ourselves in this experience we call 'life'.
    Next thing to wonder, may well be: "Why do we need the projection of a supreme being?"
    And: "Why don't we feel just ease when believing in such a deity/supreme being? E.g.: Why do we Always want to convince others of us being righteous in the whole matter, while it all comes down to "a believe"?
    And most of all: "Why would any God be in such a bad need to be worshipped all the time?" Feels so strange to me...

So, best argument: How can you ever know to be right? And: Why should it matter, in regard to our experience in here?

6. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

I would never attempt to change your mind. If you have a belief and that belief is a part of who you are and a comfort to you, it would be arrogant on my part to think that you need to change what you believe---or that I know better.

I would say, instead, good for you.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

AMEN to your premise, LIVE and LET LIVE!

7. JimMiles profile image72
    JimMilesposted 4 years ago

Read the Bible! Only, read it with the same critical eye that a Christian uses to examine the writings of those so-called "false" or "counterfeit" religions, such as Islam, Hinduism, or Mormonism. View your own beliefs from the perspective of an outsider. Do not use one highly scientific, evidence-based standard to evaluate the religions of others, and then set it aside and just accept your own religion "on faith;" test your own faith! (This is also known as "The Outsider Test for Faith," developed by John W. Loftus, a former Christian who changed his own mind in this way, and has written about it extensively ever since).

1. JimMiles profile image72
      JimMilesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Or..."I don't even have to say in advance what it would take for me to believe. God should already know. But he just doesn't do it." John W Loftus, in The End of Christianity (p. 103). Same goes for every lost soul. Why serve such an unloving God?

8. epbooks profile image81
    epbooksposted 4 years ago

I'm not one to try to convince anyone of anything, so I wouldn't be able to help change your mind.  smile

9. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

If you believe in God, no one has the right to change your mind.  If your belief and knowledge that there is a God or Universal Force is strong, no one is going to change your mind.   Whatever a person's religious, ethical, and/or spiritual belief is, is HIS/HERS and is between HIM/HER and HIS/HER GOD.    Each person has a different religious/spiritual path, it is HIS/HER path and should be respected, not denigrated.   No other person has the right to enforce his/her religious and/or spiritual beliefs upon others.  Each person is where HE/SHE is suppoed to be regarding his/her spiritual path.  Who is ANOTHER person to change that person's mind and/or belief.  Accept ALL!