Have you had end of life discussions with your loved ones?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)
  1. pstraubie48 profile image82
    pstraubie48posted 10 years ago

Have you had end of life discussions with your loved ones?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8502989_f260.jpg

2. billybuc profile image86
    billybucposted 10 years ago

Yes I have, on several occasions, and it is never easy and always necessary. Hugs and blessings coming on a wing and a prayer your way my friend.

3. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

This might strike one as strange: I love them. The discussions. I have had many. I had all three with both my parents. I mean "all three" as in -- when it is not much of a concern and just inquiry; when it is scary and doubt filled; and when it appears eminent. I also get the questions from younger family and parishioners.

I think I enjoy them because they are real, I mean really real. My comfort level with death and dying helps with a two way empathy and reassurance. It is not always the case where it can be addressed in any kind of Pollyanna fashion. People do not view death as religious doctrine like they do about matters like praying, attendance and professed faith. In the latter two phases I have never heard two thoughts the same. And so it is that these discussions should be one sided, with me doing the listening. I like that part too.
    And one last thing. Who is who is very important. If it is your time to talk of it with a loved one, remember there is a reason they are talking to you instead of me.
    XOXOX  e

1. pstraubie48 profile image82
      pstraubie48posted 10 years agoin reply to this

no actually I do not think it is strange at all. to 'love them'   I get that...thanks for responding.

4. thumbi7 profile image60
    thumbi7posted 10 years ago

Yes. I had. With my father who left us few months back.
    He started the discussions. he was suffering from left ventricular failure, renal failure and pulmonary edema.
    He said "When I had pulmonary edema last time, it was like facing death. I was struggling to get air. I did not want to die. But I have also noticed that I was not thinking about God. My only thinking was to come back to life and to get some air into my lungs."
    I told him it is okay, because throughout his life he was nice, kind and helpful to many. That matters more...
    Two months after this conversation, he left us after another episode of pulmonary edema.
    Hundreds gathered together to attend his funeral..

5. MarleneB profile image91
    MarleneBposted 10 years ago

If by "end of life" you mean, discussed the end of a person's life, then my answer would be no, I have not had that kind of conversation with anyone. But, if you mean, have I talked to someone at the end of their life, then that answer would be yes, I have had the opportunity to talk to a few people before they passed from this world. Each time it was a wonderful experience, like being part of a transition. I knew as I talked to the person, and I suspect they knew as well, that we were looking into each other's eyes for the last time. We hugged, kissed, smiled, and said things that mattered for the last time. Memories were made that will last forever.

6. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

Yes, I have had this discussion with many of my loved ones. What really provoked these discussions was the passing of my older brother at the young age of 41. I think it is necessary to have this discussion with all of your loved ones. The reason being is we must know what their wishes are after they pass. And it is a great comfort knowing if they are ready to pass on to eternity (In Heaven) is my greatest wish for all.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)