Have you or your family ever spent Thanksgiving Day serving at a soup kitchen to

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

Have you or your family ever spent Thanksgiving Day serving at a soup kitchen to those ...

Have you or your family ever spent Thanksgiving Day serving at a soup kitchen or other mission to help feed those less fortunate than you? 

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8513999_f260.jpg

2. mattmilamii profile image59
    mattmilamiiposted 10 years ago

In addition to cooking and serving Five turkey's on Thanksgiving for the poor and homeless... I also served as the head cook in a men's recovery home. I prepared three meals a day, seven days a week, for almost two years. The facility house 50+ men, who struggled with drugs and alcohol... many of which were recently released from prison. I feed them all as well as any of the local street people who would stop by hungry. All the while I never received or asked for a penny. Having lived homeless myself for years, my concern for the less fortunate ranks high on my list of priorities.

Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hello mattmilamii, God bless you for sharing your heart of love for the downtrodden.  You are a blessing to many I have no doubt.  I know you know firsthand what that feels like too.  Thank you for blessing me this day by sharing here and answering!

3. profile image0
    lambservantposted 10 years ago

I did once and probably won't again at the same location. A few years ago I decided to go to the Tacoma (WA) Union Gospel Mission and serve on Thanksgiving or may have been Christmas. As everyone feels very benevolent on holidays there were so many volunteers that the people that were eating were getting irritated because every three seconds a volunteer came up to freshen their coffee etc. Finally, they sent a bunch of us home.

I prefer to feed the hungry the other 363 days a year. Most people seem to only care on the holidays. They don't want anyone to not have somewhere to go on the holidays. That is very thoughtful, but the problem is the days after Thanksgiving and Christmas the people are just as hungry, lonely and in need. But those nice people from Christmas and Thanksgiving have abandoned them until next year.

I don't want to sound harsh, because I know people who serve on holidays truly have good hearts. I suppose I am throwing out a wake up call to extend this kind of love to other times of the year as well.

Excellent point and one we should all think about seriously ... all year long, there are people who are hungry, needing clothing, thirsty and need to be visited in prison.  Thanks so much sweet sister for caring all year long.  God bless you.

4. cam8510 profile image93
    cam8510posted 10 years ago

Our community has a program known as Safe Harbor.  During the coldest months, the homeless are given food, a place to spend the evening playing games or talking and a place to sleep for the night.  I admit this wasn't for Thanksgiving as you asked in your question, but it gave me a different perspective on the homeless.  I spoke with people who had lived normal lives at one point, but found circumstances spinning downward out of control.  Before they knew it, they were on the streets.  It is a blessing to work with them and make their lives a little happier and less painful.

Hi cam, thank you so much for answering.  Yes, I feel the same way and have a heart for serving the downtrodden or homeless too, no matter what time of year, for I know, all of us could very well be one paycheck away from being homeless ourselves!

5. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

Yes. And what a wonderful feeling Faith. Giving of one's self to see those happy, tired, hungry, appreciative faces is worth more than any money in this world. In fact, I think helping others is such a wonderful feeling, it may be selfish because of the way it makes you feel to love others. If this is the case? I choose to be selfish. smile

Hi dear JThomp, Thank you so much for answering!  Exactly, isn't it great how the Lord God worked all of that out, for those who serve to actually receive a blessing, maybe even more so than the ones they are serving : )

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely my dear friend!

3. Faith Reaper profile image83

God bless!

4. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

God bless you as well!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)