jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Happy Holidays or merry Christmas - what do you prefer to say and why?

1. Lizam1 profile image82
    Lizam1posted 4 years ago

Happy Holidays or merry Christmas - what do you prefer to say and why?

Are we at risk or losing our cultural identities by saying "Happy Holidays" rather than Merry Christmas?  I wish Muslims Eid Mubarak and other appropriate good wishes to friends from other cultures celebrating Diwali, Hanukah etc.  I am not a church goer but to me Christmas is an important cultural event that reflects more than just a religious belief.

2. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

Happy holidays right now because Thanksgiving hasn't passed yet. But I always say Merry Christmas during December.

3. d.william profile image75
    d.williamposted 4 years ago

In today's society, the majority who celebrate Christmas do so to celebrate family and friends gathering to share in a year end celebration filled with levity, gift giving, and an excuse to eat and drink too much.
    So, how one addresses it is of little importance, and of little significance. 
    Just enjoy the holidays in any way that we choose and ignore those who try to put their personal depictions onto others.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

Growing up in the 90s I don't remember anyone having a problem with the phrase 'happy holidays'. I always just assumed that it was a blanket greeting to cover thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. So, it seemed more like a happy accident that it covered other religious holidays as well.

When the 'war' on Christmas surfaced in the 2000s, the backlash seemed so sudden and violent that it looked as if 'happy holidays' was the phrase that was actually under attack. I wrote a hub about this phenomenon, but I do feel like the debate had the opposite effect of what it was intending. The point was that people should be free to say Merry Christmas if they wanted to. But the overreaction was so extreme that now people feel afraid to say Happy Holidays without offending the Merry Christmas crowd. There were business boycotts because they didn't say 'Merry Christmas' in their advertisements. This is all completely ridiculous. Any greeting is better than a stick in the eye.

1. Lizam1 profile image82
      Lizam1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I somewhat agree with you. I do wonder if a "generic" saying is acceptable regarding Christmas why it isn't acceptable for the other religious holidays. I think any saying should be given and received in the spirit of community whatever the words.

5. BuffaloGal1960 profile image74
    BuffaloGal1960posted 4 years ago

I will be greeting proudly with "Merry Christmas" as I believe Jesus is the reason for the season.  This is America.  And I will not be joining the politically "correct".

6. jaydawg808 profile image91
    jaydawg808posted 4 years ago

To me, the definition of "Happy Holidays" means Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years.

"Merry Christmas" just is focused on Christmas.

Both are different from each other.