jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Are Unitarians Atheists, Christians or Humanists?

1. Writer Fox profile image59
    Writer Foxposted 4 years ago

Are Unitarians Atheists, Christians or Humanists?

What is Unitarianism supposed to represent?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8577723_f260.jpg

2. electronician profile image83
    electronicianposted 4 years ago

They believe in God and Jesus Christ, so they can't be atheists or humanists, and I guess they consider themselves to be Christians.

3. dahoglund profile image81
    dahoglundposted 4 years ago

I did look into this belief at one time. It seems that each individual in Unitarianism has their own take on it. There is no required belief, so some consider themselves Christians, some believe in God but not the divinty of Christ. Others are just open minded about it. At least that is the conclusion that I went away with.

4. bjspivey-rivers profile image73
    bjspivey-riversposted 4 years ago

They are not atheists or humanists, because they believe in God.  To be a Christian is to declare Jesus Christ is the Son of God and equal to God.  They do not believe this.  They are a separate religion that believes in the Oneness of God rather than the Trinity.  Though some of them like the teachings of Jesus they do not believe He is who He says He is.

1. electronician profile image83
      electronicianposted 4 years agoin reply to this

According to Wikipedia they believe most of the Christ story. They even believe Christ was the son of God - they just don't believe in the trinity so they don't believe that Christ is God.

5. Ericdierker profile image56
    Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago

Cool question and I one that is confusing. As it should be.
    It is so neato that people affiliate with others and join in a union to celebrate faith.

6. cbl12 profile image77
    cbl12posted 4 years ago

If we are discussing those who deny the Trinity, and therefore that the Holy Ghost is God and that Christ the Son is also God, Both with the Father, the three Persons in One God, then this is serious.  By doing so they deny the Divinity of the Christ, and to them He was just a Man, which is not true.  If not God, then Christ could not rise again after three days, in that He was dead and had descended into Hell, as the Word says. Others in the Bible did rise from the dead, but they were ones that were not in Hell at all, and Christ could raise them Himself - He might not have done so, had He not been God.

7. cjhunsinger profile image72
    cjhunsingerposted 4 years ago

My experience with Unitarians, primarily in CA, is that they take no hard position on much of anything. They are very content to sit by the camp fire, sing songs and criticize anyone that does take a hard position, on anything. They, as has been said, will listen to anyone on most any subject and in that feel content that they have absorbed the universal IQ, and are now free to continue with the camp fire songs.. Most were opposed to the, "hard Line' of the US Constitution and most , more then favor the UN Manifesto on Human Rights, as a "World Principle" to be enforced my "One" global form of governance. For the, spiritually minded, a god is anything one, at any given point in their lives decides that it should be, with corresponding requirements of belief. This is not much different then any orthodox belief as this too changes with generations and cultures. As was said, "And this to shall pass."

working