What is the difference between Wicca and Witchcraft?

1. gracep13 profile image83
    gracep13posted 4 years ago

What is the difference between Wicca and Witchcraft?

Does it go beyond Wicca is a religion and Witchcraft is a practice?  I was talking to someone about religious tolerance.  Although I am not a religious person at all, I told someone that they need to be courteous of other beliefs.  She tried to play off an insult about Wicca as a joke, but I told her how accepting the Wiccan religion is compared to others.  I just wanted to clarify it for her.

2. Mom Kat profile image80
    Mom Katposted 4 years ago

Wicca is a religion with guidelines and structure, while witchcraft is a craft or practice anyone can do if they want to, so you had it right in the first part of your question.
    Anyone can go to a book store or library and pick up a book of spells. 
    Witchcraft can be dark magic, black magic, voodoo, hexes, curses...
    Spells and potions can also be used for helping, healing, guarding, protecting, and strengthening the bonds of love or friendship...
    Wiccans live by a code which states "and it harm none, do what ye will"
    Someone just playing around with the craft might not adhere to that standard.

3. WiccanSage profile image96
    WiccanSageposted 3 years ago

I've written hubs on this myself. The easiest way for me to explain it is this:

Wicca is a religion-- it's a Pagan, polytheistic fertility religion. Wiccans may (but are not required to) practice Witchcraft.

Witchcraft is a skill-- a literal Craft. You can be of any (or no) religion and learn it. Some Witches follow the Wiccan religion, some don't.

So really the difference can be very little (an eclectic neoPagan Witch is not going to look that different from a Wiccan Witch) or very broad (some family-trad, old-country, folk-magic Christian Witch is going to look very different from a Wiccan Witch).

working