Do you live in the South and an Atheist? What kind of back lash do you get when

1. Jordan Marshall profile image61
    Jordan Marshallposted 4 years ago

Do you live in the South and an Atheist? What kind of back lash do you get when it's brought up?

I was just wondering about other people's experiences. I live in the South and I see it happen all the time. I'm Agnostic and even I get back lash from it.

2. Attikos profile image78
    Attikosposted 4 years ago

Jordan, pleased to meet you. I too live in North Carolina, and I too have some unorthodox views of religious faith. What I find is that, just as it is everywhere, it all depends on who you're talking with.

For example, I wouldn't make remarks against Biblical literalism in a room full of Pentecostals, nor would I criticize the standard justifications of liberal abortion law at a Cuomo political rally in New York. Choose your battles and give people some space, don't expect everyone not to be reactionary.

Whether or not you accept traditional faith, develop your own position on it, are moving along a pathway of discovery as do most your age, or take any other view is first your business, and to a degree that of your family and friends. Hold your own beliefs, understand they likely will change over time, respect others enough to give them the same courtesy, and don't poke folks in the eye with a sharp stick if you don't want them to take a swat at you. It's all a matter of perspective and etiquette.

Welcome to Hub Pages, by the way. Enjoy your stay.

working