jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (24 posts)

Wondering if atheists believe in a soul?

1. LaThing profile image74
    LaThingposted 5 years ago

Wondering if atheists believe in a soul?

Trying to understand the concept of life and death from the atheist's point of view. So, if you are an atheist I would love to hear from YOU smile

2. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

i can't speak for all atheists but for myself, no i don't believe in people having a soul. were just living organisms that live and die. nothing more, nothing less.

LaThingposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your honest opinion, appreciate it! I wonder how many have the same view as yours.....

3. backporchstories profile image81
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

I am a Christian, however, my son claims to be atheist.  One day I asked him, "When you are down and out who do your turn to and talk to in those quiet personal moments?"  He thought about it a bit and said that he was always close to his Grandmother (My Mother) and said he oftens talks to her.  My mother had passed some time ago, so my reply to him was, "if you talk to Grandmother and believe she hears you, then you believe in the spirit world, so you must believe something is out there beyond this life".  He was stumped on that thought!

Good point...... Something to ponder upon!

2. profile image56
      kdawsonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Why do you have to turn to anyone or thing?  Do it for yourself.

4. LewSethics profile image61
    LewSethicsposted 5 years ago

Just because some people reject a big angry god doesn't mean that they reject spirituality.  Why do religionists insist that spirituality and atheism are opposites?
    Who (or what) gave religionists exclusive insight into what the spiritual realm is like?
    God is not property, and not believing in YOUR god doesn't diminish whatever other people believe in.

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like you're the "big angry." I pray you learn about the true God, a God of love beyond measure before it is too late.

2. LewSethics profile image61
      LewSethicsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I answered your question in a way not to your liking, so now you are 'praying' for me, evidently because I am somehow spiritually bereft for not believing what you think I should believe.  How sickening.

3. LaThing profile image74

Hey LewSethics, that was my question!!! lol
      You brought out a great point there, I was not aware of the fact that atheist can be spiritual...... Interesting! Could you shed some light on that, or should I pose another question regarding this?

Ooops!  Sorry, LaThing, haha!  Anyway, one good example would be the Japanese tradition of building special temples in locations that are spiritually charged. They visit those sites and feel the spirit, but they don't involve any gods in the process.

5. profile image56
      kdawsonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Dubuquedogtrainer,
      I would say I hope you come to your senses before it's too late, but I don't believe that what you think, or I think makes any difference to the universe at all.  Quit depending on God and take care of yourself.

5. profile image56
    kdawsonposted 5 years ago

Just because I don't believe in the great supernatural daddy in the sky and reject the teachings of his terrible children doesn't mean I don't have a spiritual life.  I think the presence of a soul or spirit is obvious but I don't have to have a God to create this.  Scientifically we know that energy can not be destroyed but only transformed.  Every human generates energy constantly and this must continue.  Personally I think this life is a stage in our development.  I believe this because after exploring religions, philosophies, and my fellow man, it is the only thing that makes sense to me.  This incredible Christian notion that everyone who isn't a Christian will burn in eternal fires, that your loving God wants this, is enough to make me repute the religion on moral grounds.

Thanks for clarifying the spirituality and atheism, a question I just asked LewSethics. So, I guess believing in a soul is different for everyone, am I right on that? by the way, I believe in A Greater Power, but I am not a Christian......

6. dannelmarchese profile image59
    dannelmarcheseposted 5 years ago

A true by the book atheist believes that conception and death are the beginning and end of all that is physical and real.

Thank you for the answer. I have another question, is there a book that atheists follow, or are there unwritten rules? Just curious .....

2. LewSethics profile image61

So it's not enough for an atheist to just not believe in god?  I thought that's what atheist meant.

@lewSethics, that's what I thought too! But then Dannel mentioned a book..... Maybe, it's just a phrase. LewS, you are atheist, right?

@LaThing, no, I'm not an atheist, I'm what you might call a spiritual mutt. I don't believe there is such a thing as a god of the universe, but I'm pretty sure there is a god (or gods)of us. Worshipping is spiritual slavery. Freedom is equality.

7. carlarmes profile image75
    carlarmesposted 5 years ago

One content atheistish. Agnostic, non believer. If a soul exists it will be there if you believe it or not, if it does not exist you won't know about it when you are dead because you won't exist to worry about it. What will be will be, or not. I think there might be something after life but I have not the slightest idea what and we will never accurately find out so there is no point thinking about it too much, and as for your God we better not go there.

8. MizBejabbers profile image90
    MizBejabbersposted 5 years ago

My father professed to be an atheist and did not believe in a soul or any kind of afterlife. He didn't go by any book. I am writing a hub about it, but I don't think we can put links in comments, but I guess I can say "watch for it."

I hope I see it when it comes out. Will love to read it.

2. MizBejabbers profile image90
      MizBejabbersposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm almost finished with it. I'll notify you if you wish.

That will be great, thanks!

working