What are the steps to effective prayer?
Prayer is a critical aspect of our lives as Christians. Through prayer we fellowship with God. and ask and receive from our loving Father.
First, we need to repent of our sins so there is nothing to hinder our prayer. A spirit of thankfulness is also a big part of prayer.
1. Faith in an unshakeable vision of the Unseen; an inner conviction that it exists.
2. Aspiration. Aspiration is the beginning and end of the journey. The child cries when hungry, and the mother comes running. Without yearning, earnestness, longing, this burning inner intensity, we cannot pray effectively.
"Prayer begins when human capacity ends."- My teacher.
3. Prayer is an invocation, an attempt to lay hold of God Itself. Do not ask for a Well when an Ocean is present. Kneel or sit in supplication and adoration.
4. Silent or interior prayer. After talking for a while, stop and listen.
5. Focus or concentration: This helps us to harness the energy in the right direction, and the mind to fall still or quiet.
6. Humility before God, offering Gratitude for the afflictions as well as the joys.
7. A big one this: Serve mankind. Serve in a spirit of inner purpose and an intention to love as coming from within. You do not need to stress on this. Simply watch your conscience and act accordingly to your fellowman. Grace will teach you this.
Effective prayer is communion with God. Accompanied by receptivity, and a vessel which is large enough to hold His Light (capacity), we will be given the necessary love to serve others and live a life of peace.
8. Another big one: Purity. Purity is the inner vessel that holds the Light. If we keep our windows open, then the sun can come in. If it's closed, then the Light becomes limited. Something is 'assimilated' in prayer, but this relies on inner purity. Are my doubts, fears, anxieties and worries gone? Do I feel hate or resentment? have I forgiven? Do I possess inner gratitude? What about my earthly attachments or ego? Am I too sensuous? Watch and pray!
9. Be occupied. Live in the Eternal Now, the Sacrament of The Present Moment. There is no Saturday or Sunday or 7 prayers or Sabbath, etc. Feel that all you have is the Here and Now. God forbid, but I could have an accident two minutes from now. The point here is that the next moment is not ours. Consider the lilies of the field ...
10. By far the most important and for some the most difficult. Live with the spirit of Surrender: "Not my Will, my Lord, but Thine be done.
Write to me if you have any questions, and I will try to serve, God's Grace. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open Heart, so as to spread love
Open Eyes, so as to see love
Open Mind, so as to show love
Open Ears, so as to listen for love
Comforting hands, so as to aid others through love
Righteous thoughts, so as to proclaim the King.
9 “Pray, then, in this way:
‘Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name.
10 ‘Your kingdom come. Your will be done, On earth as it is in heaven.
11 ‘Give us this day [a]our daily bread.
12 ‘And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 ‘And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from [b]evil. [c][For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.’]
The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much
For me, the first step is humility. Count the self as nothing.
Second is confession. Offer up all of one's transgressions. Shine a light on them and let them shrivel in the light of truth.
Third is to awaken the spirit fully. Humility starts this; confession energizes it. Know that you are not your physical body or your ego self. You are a child of God -- immortal and invulnerable, because we were made in the image and likeness of God.
Fourth is to prepare the message in its spiritually positive form. Picture the end result as if it is already done. Feel the gratitude for having received it, if it so pleases the Lord our God.
And you're done.
I am reminded of the acronym "ACTS":
Acknowledge Almighty God as creator and source,
Confess that we are unworthy to approach Him except through Christ,
Thank Him for His lovingkindness and provision,
Supplication - submit your request and ask it be granted if it His will.
Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
by Yvette Stupart2 years ago
What steps do you take to have a successful day?The Bible encourages us to rejoice and be glad in each day that God has made (Psalm 118:24). In the midst of the challenges of life, how can we make the most of each day?
by Peter M. Lopez9 years ago
In response to the popularity of the thread "Does Prayer Really Work?", I would ask if anyone has any requests for prayer. In the last year, our church has seen amazing breakthrough in physical healing,...
by breathe2travel4 years ago
How do you communicate with God?
by Mahmo7 years ago
How have you experienced the power of prayer in your life?
by Dustin Staples5 years ago
If someone believed in a creator, after some visceral meditation - as in, all text aside towards the same belief a primitive human could accept after seeing some natural disaster - is acceptance of this creator coupled...
by graceinus4 years ago
Have you ever been told that you were or are an answer to a prayer?There have been a number of times when a person had been an answer to my prayer. And they never even realized it until I told them. It is amazing how...
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.