Which bible version do you prefer?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)
  1. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Which bible version do you prefer?

Some readers prefer the "old language" tradition of writing and speech of the bible while others find some versions easier to understand if written in "plain English." Do you prefer the English Standard Version (ESV), Revised Standard Version (RSV), King James Version (KJV), New International Version (NIV), red-lettered, etc. Please explain.

2. Faithful Daughter profile image80
    Faithful Daughterposted 10 years ago

I mostly use the KJV, but I keep other versions (NIV, NLT, Amplified) when I'm stuck on a passage and need other translations.

jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, helpful to use more than one to see different translations. Thanks for answering, Faithful Daughter.

3. Janellegems profile image61
    Janellegemsposted 10 years ago

I read and study the Bible from the King James Version. I also memorize scriptures from it, but sometimes I compare passages of scripture to the Amplified and Revised Standard Version.

Thank you for answering, Janellegems. Using more than one for comparisons helps deepen understanding.

4. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 10 years ago

For just reading, I prefer my NIV. If I'm doing a more in-depth study, I also have my KJV with me so I can compare verses.

It does broaden understanding when comparing verses. Thanks for answering, sheilamyers.

5. misslong123 profile image84
    misslong123posted 10 years ago

I prefer the CEV version. It is written in every day words and very easy to understand. I can relate it to my life. Quite a few years ago I had a friend who had no clue on religion and needed an easy Bible he could relate to. I found one called The Find and bought one for myself. Now it is the main one I use. I find that I can look up difficult verses and actually understand them in a real way. You might check it out. I'm sure online somewhere there are excerpts from it so you can see what I mean. Great question! Michele

Thanks for answering, misslong123. Sounds interesting, I will look it up. You're welcome for the question!

6. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

I have not read all versions, but I prefer to have all versions.

Truth is not in the literal word! As 2 Corinthians 3:6 warns, the letter (literal) leads to death; only the spirit of scripture leads to life. This should be apparent in the difficult parables Jesus used. They were difficult for a reason. Those who clamor for easy are being lazy and God does not honor and respect laziness.

All versions have their flaws. Some leave out words. Some put in words. Some alter the original meaning. But none of them do this for all passages.

I've read KJV the most, but I see other versions of some passages that connect more deeply with me. Where KJV talks about charity, NIV talks about love.

The KJV version of 1 John 5:7 seems to talk about the Trinity, but the NIV leaves out this "trinity" wording. Why? The NCV has a footnote which explains that someone in the early church had added the extra wording, but does not explain why.

While researching for my most recent book, "The Bible's Hidden Wisdom: God's Reason for Noah's Flood," I used many versions, most available at http://BibleGateway.com. I also used the Lamsa version which supposedly has a more logical and understandable rendition of some otherwise confusing passages. And it seems to explain why the change was made -- because a misplaced dot in Aramaic or dot misread from a line above changed a word to the one ultimately used in most other versions.

There is a great deal of wisdom hidden in the Bible and some of it is lost with some translations, because the translator or scribe did not understand what they were writing. Or, in the case of the "trinity" passage, an overly eager scribe decided to add his own ideas. Oops!

Some people can think they are in the spirit and not be. I've done that numerous times. It's getting easier to spot it, but I'm far from perfect. When I'm in-spirit (Holy Spirit), the ideas flow, are full of love, and reveal wisdom that even I did not know when not in-spirit. It's humbling and sometimes a bit frustrating, but if we remain humble and hungry for God's answers, then we can find value in every interpretation of scripture, even those that may shock us or confuse us.

Each of us are looking at various versions of Truth, through our own filters. But there is only one Truth. The important thing is not to think that we have arrived, but to remain humble and hungry.

Thank you for your answer, lone77star. Well-put and beautifully stated.

7. sallieannluvslife profile image78
    sallieannluvslifeposted 10 years ago

I prefer the King James Version or the New King James Version and the Amplified Bible for reference

Thank you for answering, sallieannluvslife.

8. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 10 years ago

My favorite is the Hebrew bible- Ha-Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (BHS) and the Tanakh
    I don't trust any but the Hebrew bibles

Thank you for that offering, Deborah Sexton.

9. Ceegen profile image67
    Ceegenposted 10 years ago

Authorized "King James" Version only. It is the only, and I mean only, bible that preserves the literal structure of word usage from Hebrew and Greek into English. Even the most adamant scholar who says that all bibles are good versions, will also admit that the KJV is the only one that is a very "wooden" or "literal" translation. (Been researching this whole "KJV" thing for the past few years now, and I can't deny the arguments in favor of KJV-Only).

Knowing Hebrew and Greek is fine and dandy, and understanding the definition of the words being translated helps a person to understand the process of "how" or "why", but it is not necessary to salvation. If you believe in your heart and confess with the mouth that the Lord is Jesus, who died for your sins and was raised from the grave, then you're saved. It doesn't take a bible (or church attendance) to get saved, just a powerful witness, someone willing to point people in God's direction.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)