Who wrote the Gospel of John?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)
  1. lifegate profile image79
    lifegateposted 9 years ago

Who wrote the Gospel of John?

We are to be like the Bereans and search the Scriptures. Can anyone give me scriptural proof that the Apostle John wrote the Gospel that bares his name. Forget outside sources. Forget tradition, and what you may have been taught. I'm looking for proof from within the Scriptures themselves. Thanks in advance.

2. profile image0
    lambservantposted 9 years ago

That will take a lot of research. You may not get a quick answer from people. Any particular reason you're looking into this? I think it's based on tradition and other 1st and 2nd century sources because there may not be a direct, clear answer proving it was john.

lifegateposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I  tend to agree with you. Actually, there is a reason I'm asking. I've always been taught that the Apostle John wrote the book, but no one offers proof..If John didn't write the book, it changes much of the Gospels. Thanks for responding, Lori.

2. profile image0
      lambservantposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not every Bible author is known. This one is named after John. I have to trust that the HS directed the men who decided the authorship of the books of the Bible. To get some wrong and some right would mean the Scriptures cannot be trusted.

3. parrster profile image82
    parrsterposted 9 years ago

Although far from definitive, The passage below refers to 'the beloved disciple' as (possible) author. John is traditionally believed to be this disciple, though not explicitly mentioned as such (Jn 13:23; 19:26; 20:2; 21:7,20). However argument has been made that it could have been Lazarus. (Jn 11:3,5,11,36)

John 21:20-24 (note especially last verse)

Peter turned and saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following them, the one who also had leaned back against him during the supper and had said, “Lord, who is it that is going to betray you?” When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, “Lord, what about this man?” Jesus said to him, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!” So the saying spread abroad among the brothers[a] that this disciple was not to die; yet Jesus did not say to him that he was not to die, but, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you?”

This is the disciple who is bearing witness about these things, and who has written these things, and we know that his testimony is true.

Thanks Parrster. The problem I'm having is that tradition seems to play a big part. We can agree that the disciple whom Jesus loved wrote  the book, but just who was that disciple. i think you have some good thoughts, and they mirror mine.

2. parrster profile image82
      parrsterposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Glad I could contribute. Yes, tradition does come heavily into authorship. However, to quote Mark Roberts, author of  Can We Trust The Gospels,
      "...it doesn't really matter whether the Beloved Disciple was John, Lazurus, or some other disciple of Je

4. PlanksandNails profile image81
    PlanksandNailsposted 9 years ago

Based on Scripture interpreting Scripture the fourth Gospel tells us who it is.

Peter turned and saw THE DISCIPLE WHOM JESUS LOVED following them, the one who also had leaned back against him during the supper and had said, “Lord, who is it that is going to betray you?”  - John 21:20

THIS IS THE DISCIPLE who is bearing witness about these things, and who has written these things, and we know that his testimony is true. - John 21:24

Who was the disciple that Jesus loved bearing witness?

It was Mary who anointed the Lord with ointment and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother LAZARUS was ill. So the sisters sent to him, saying, “LORD, HE WHOM YOU LOVE IS ILL."

There it is, Lazarus whom Jesus loved, proof just from the Gospel itself; Scripture interpreting Scripture.

Knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation. - 2 Peter 1:20

1. tsadjatko profile image65
      tsadjatkoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Proof? You are joking, right?

2. lifegate profile image79

Thanks PandN. I think there's even more evidence than just that statement in the Gospel itself. it amazes me how so many people just believe what's been told them, myself included. This is a revelation I just saw for myself so I'm still exploring it.

3. tsadjatko profile image65
      tsadjatkoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"evidence" is not exactly proof. You can only have proof by a preponderance of the evidence and any words on a page are not proof of who wrote them.

5. tsadjatko profile image65
    tsadjatkoposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8939850_f260.jpg

You have asked a question for which there is no definitive answer. As I'm sure you are aware (but for those who are not) only one of the 4 gospels, the Gospel of John claims to be an eyewitness account, the testimony of the unnamed “disciple whom Jesus loved.” (“This is the disciple who is testifying to these things and wrote these things, and we know that his testimony is true” [John 21:24]). Who wrote the Gospel of John is an unanswered question, though noted theologians throughout the ages maintain that it was the disciple John and I find that hard to dispute without evidence to the contrary.
    However, this question reminds me of a curiosity I have never understood. Like the recent movie "Heaven is Real" there are many examples of NDEs or similar episodes where people have visited heaven and actually met and spoke to Jesus and he to them. Dr. Eby, a credible subject, tells the story in his book about his death, visit to heaven and miraculous return (I think he was dead for 18 hours).  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUY1nUxOV7Q Often theses subjects return and relate their conversations with Jesus yet the unanswered questions like who wrote the Gospel of John, are there remnants of Noah's Ark, what "fish" swallowed Jonah, how old is the earth, are the 7 days of creation literal days (I believe they are), what happened to the dinosaurs? etc. never seem to be asked of Jesus. I suppose maybe in some instances they were but for some reason the subjects don't or aren't allowed to remember it when they return but I assure you if I had an NDE and could fellowship with Jesus in the flesh I would be asking these questions and more, not because I question the Bible but I just want to know the answers I can't find in the Bible.

Thanks for your input, tsadjatko .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)