jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Do you believe "reparative" therapy works?

1. jlpark profile image86
    jlparkposted 3 years ago

Do you believe "reparative" therapy works?

Meaning - Do you believe 'ex-gay' therapy works? I ask from a neutral POV, and will not try to convince you differently to what you believe (nor should anyone else). I am curious to see if people believe it works, and what types they know of, why they think it works/doesn't work, and if they know of anyone who has tried it, did it work? etc. I have asked this question similar in another area as I wish to have a cross section of answers..you may answer twice. Anyone who has been through this, if it triggers or offends you - I apologise sincerely.

2. Marsei profile image89
    Marseiposted 3 years ago

I think it's ridiculous, period.  It's like the concept of turning a straight person gay, just absurd.  We are who and what we are.   I think the important issue is learning to accept ourselves as we are.

1. profile image0
      mbuggiehposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!

2. jlpark profile image86
      jlparkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your answer Marsei - on both questions.

3. d.william profile image62
    d.williamposted 3 years ago

Great question. The answer; a resounding absolutely not.  We are born to be who we are in spite of those religious zealots who preach otherwise.  No one in their right minds would choose a life "style" that is so hated, and abused,  by society.
    Anyone who suggests that 'reparative' therapy works needs to get an education and a grip on reality instead of living in their limited little worlds.
    To suggest such foolishness is like saying that anyone born with any kind of birth anomaly could simply 'pray' or 'wish' it away and it would happen.
    Note that i used the phrase "birth anomaly" not "birth defect" because being born gay is not a "defect", it is nature's way of averting the inevitable over population of this planet.   Of course the religious prefer wars and killing as the best way for population control.  Or perhaps not having physical relations at all.
    We are all creations of God, with innate emotions and physical pleasures and those emotions (love) and pleasures (sex) are gifts from God to be shared with other consenting adults. 
    There is no shame in being born different - the shame is in the judging of others by those who think they are what God's plan is all about.

1. jlpark profile image86
      jlparkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks d! I'm curious to see if anyone thinks it works, and why. I have an opinion on whether it does or not, but wish to look into the opinion of a cross section of society (or HP at least!). THanks for your answer

2. d.william profile image62
      d.williamposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Understood.If any 1 testifies that it works they R only lying 2 themselves.Strong willed folks can change their behavior but not their physiology. Gay is genetic-not a choice.

working