Do you believe that 'ex-gay therapy' works?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (20 posts)
  1. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 9 years ago

Do you believe that 'ex-gay therapy' works?

I'm asking this from a neutal POV. I would like to know what you think, and why. I will not be trying to convince you otherwise from your thoughts on it (nor should anyone else). Why do you think it works/doesn't work? What therapies have you heard of? Have you experienced any, or know of people who have.  Did it work? Did it not work? What are your thoughts on why or why not?  This has been asked in 2 different areas to get a cross section - you may answer twice. Anyone who has been through this - if it causes you offense or triggers - I am sincerely sorry.

2. Kathleen Odenthal profile image87
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years ago

Absolutely not. There is no such thing as anti or ex-gay therapy. We are who we are. If we want, we can pretend to be something else, but then we are just pretending.

1. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. profile image0
      mbuggiehposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!

Pretending and "in the closet", but we are what we are and no therapy can change that.

3. jlpark profile image79
      jlparkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your answer Kathleen. Insightful!

3. profile image0
    mbuggiehposted 9 years ago

Absolutely not!

Sexual orientation is not learned, therefore, no behavioral therapies can lead to unlearning it.

In fact, there is ample evidence that indicates that such therapies are not only non-productive, but harmful.

No legitimate mental health and/or counseling practitioners promote or engage in any form of ex-gay therapy.

Thanks for your answer Mbuggieh. The question stems from a program I watched yesterday. I have my own opinion on whether they work or not, but wanted to see what others thought. Thanks for answering

4. Marsei profile image90
    Marseiposted 9 years ago

I already answered the question once with a resounding no.  I think the idea is mad.  I'd like to add here that I believe with many years of education and with more and more of the gay population being out, hopefully, this will become a nonissue and we will get to the business we're here for, loving each other and respecting and appreciating the things that make us unique.

Thanks for your answer. Here's hoping!

5. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

No. In order for such therapy to work it would mean it's possible to do the reverse just as well.
    Being a straight male I can tell you there is no therapy that would cause me to feel sexually attracted to men. There was no day that  I "chose" to be attracted to women. I naturally felt that way from an early age.
    Secondly the only reason for wanting to make a change is because the individual is unhappy with who they are. Instead of trying to "pray away the gay" a person should just invest their time being with people who love and appreciate them for who they are.
    Life is a personal journey.

Thanks for sharing your answer. Very insightful

6. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 9 years ago

The only scenario where gay therapy would "work" is one where brain damage occurs. In other words, significant mental trauma will actually change a person, but it isn't for the better and it can't be considered therapy. It's considered abuse. Which is why many LGBT youth, unfortunately, commit suicide. So, any place that claims to 'fix' gay people, should be seen for what it really is; a cruel and abusive travesty.

7. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 9 years ago

It depends on what you mean by works. If someone hooked up electrodes to my nuts and flipped the switch every time I looked at a naked lady, eventually I'd probably stop liking naked ladies. I guess that is working, but certainly isn't healthy. As for healthy conversion, I've seen no evidence that it is effective, if even possible.

Now, if we are talking about willing changes, that is a slightly different story. I actually believe, based upon my own arc of life, that we have significant capacity to expand what we find appealing. Also, I think we can learn to enjoy things even without any innate desire for it. Could a homosexual learn to enjoy someone of the opposite sex? Probably, and I can see some benefits of willingly making such an attempt, but that still would have to be chosen and it still wouldn't eliminate the innate homosexual interest, and wouldn't be something which happened overnight.

Thanks for your answer Junkseller. Different way of looking at the issue - thanks!

8. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 9 years ago

Anyone change their mind or decision, in fact many have. There have been people who were once gay and now they are straight and people who are straight have become gay. It happens. It is an individual's choice at any time with or without therapy. There are people who were seduced into that lifestyle at an early age by an adult without awareness of male/female relationships. They continued on the path by habit. Later they realized it was not for them. And they regret going down that road. Some popular celebrities have even told their stories recently. They were not born gay, they were taken advantage of by an adult while they were too young. That's not everyone's story, but it does happen.

1. profile image0

NO ONE---read NO ONE is "seduced" into any lifestyle. ALL human sexuality is a function of a complex set of genetic, hormonal, and biological variables.

Homosexuality is not "habit". It is not the result of childhood sexual abuse.

2. jlpark profile image79

Sri - thank you for your answer.
      Mbuggieh - I understand your comment and whilst I may agree - I outlined in the question I didn't want people to correct others opinions please - we don't like it when people do it to us.

9. Astra Nomik profile image63
    Astra Nomikposted 9 years ago

No. Simple. Being gay is not a choice. It is a circumstance.

You can try manipulating a person's mind using hypnosis or trickery or messing around and being all god-like and interfering with their sexuality. But it doesn't change the person one bit.

I have a friend who is gay and she lost her memory a few years ago, and could not remember she had come out to her friends... and yet she was still lesbian after all. She never changed her feelings, only her memory of some of those feelings...she just knew she was different and not straight.

Is there an ex-straight therapy by any chance?

Thats an idea Astra - ex-straight therapy! Thanks for your answer

2. profile image0

Hmmm...

I wonder how straight people would feel if gay and lesbian people "ruled the world" and determined that heterosexuality was a sin against god and immoral and demanded that they repair themselves and convert!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)