jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

As a religious person, do you believe in science?

1. emilyzeinert profile image60
    emilyzeinertposted 3 years ago

As a religious person,  do you believe in science?

Are there certain aspects you believe in and don't believe in? What makes you decide which parts to believe and not believe?

2. profile image0
    Lybrahposted 3 years ago

I do believe in science, but I am not so sure about evolution.  It says in the bible that God took seven days to make the earth, but to God, a day is like a thousand years.  God is outside of time.  He made up the seven day bit to provide structure for us, who are inside of time.

I think the earth has been around for more than six thousand years.  Yet no one can truly know that.

1. Robert the Bruce profile image61
      Robert the Bruceposted 3 years agoin reply to this

True, the exact date of the formation of the earth probably cannot be known, but science HAS proved that the earth and universe are billions of years old. The writer(s) of Genesis of course did not have the scientific knowledge we have today.

3. lone77star profile image83
    lone77starposted 3 years ago

As a scientist, I believe in science. As a religious person, I believe in spirit.

I also believe that scientists have egos and avoid evidence, sometimes as much as "hardened believers" avoid evolution. The Clovis First fiasco is one example. Another is the Valsequillo site. One geoarchaeologist said he would never believe the ancient date for its artifacts no matter what the evidence. That's not science; that's ego.

I recently received a comment on my Mission: Atlantis website from someone at Cornell University pleasantly ridiculing the idea that Atlantis ever existed. Why such snobbery? Ego.

I have seen miracles that would curl your hair. I have studied electronic engineering, computer science, astrophysics, geology, physics, chemistry, and more. So, I have been keenly aware of the problem with miracles. How are they possible? I am learning answers and they are every bit as fascinating as mathematics, logic and science.

I think the only way to learn more about the universe is to remain humble and hungry.

I don't believe in a literal interpretation of the Bible. There is too much woven in layers there. One of my books discusses this in great depth. I've recently learned that the Kabbalists wrote the Pentateuch in code, so it's no wonder that people have a hard time understanding it -- both atheists and believers; both groups have it all wrong.

Certain things in science are less certain than others. Take the lineage of Homo sapiens, for instance. There is some evidence, ridiculed by mainstream science, that shows man has been around for millions of years -- as Homo sapiens. The Valsequillo site shows humans camped out in Mexico 250,000 years ago -- 150,000 years before humans were supposed to have left Africa and 50,000 years before the currently accepted "oldest" anatomically modern humans.

But belief is rarely Truth. Someone who thinks they know it all about a field of study will not look beyond their currently accepted beliefs. Scientists do this all the time.

I wrote in my book, "James Gleick, American author and journalist, warned us about such things. In his bestselling book, Chaos: Making a New Science, he wrote, 'Shallow ideas can be assimilated; ideas that require people to reorganize their picture of the world provoke hostility.'"

4. kevin murphy-87 profile image80
    kevin murphy-87posted 3 years ago

My religion is considered a science. I'm a Spiritualist!

working