Do you believe in the 6 day Creation as described In the Bible or Evolution and

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Born Again 05 profile image79
    Born Again 05posted 10 years ago

Do you believe in the 6 day Creation as described In the Bible or Evolution and the big bang theory?

I have exciting news for those who answer this question regardless of the position you take. Streaming live on the web from the Creation Museum is the great debate between Bill Nye, aka the science guy, and defender of the Creation, Ken Ham. It takes place at 7pm for my area NE Pa). Please consult the website for time in your locality. If you have ever questioned  where we come from and why we exist, this is something you don't want to miss!

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

The story of creation was describing the process of evolution.   Don't you get it!!!!

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
        Castlepalomaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes, all religions have evolved.

Beat my family of the apes. Hope I didn't dropped some poo on yeh.

2. Lee Lee 513 profile image59
    Lee Lee 513posted 10 years ago

What I don't understand is why they fight, about who is right and who is wrong. The truth, is they may both be right. We don't know what Adam and Eve looked like, we also don't know what a day to God would be. The water was here before God created land and maybe God had living creatures from the water adapt to land. Adam and Eve could have been apes. Really what holds us back is us because science is a tool to understand the world and the Bible is a way of living. I believe in both science and religion, as a Christian. smile

1. lone77star profile image72
      lone77starposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Bravo! There is still much more to learn in the Bible. We just have to use the Holy Spirit to find it. And we now know who Noah's Flood targeted, because we now have a timeline compatible with those of mainstream science

3. profile image52
    abt79posted 10 years ago

Eve gene.
    Look it up.
    They may both be right.

4. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 10 years ago

The 6 day Creation story is just that, a wonderful mythological story, and has a place in the collective imagination. Evolution is a theory, based on observation, research and evidence over many decades. Darwin and others pioneered the way forward - the Big Bang cosmologists are looking for the origins of that singular event - I personally think that all the evidence found - from fossils to ancient bones, from the study of animal behaviour to cosmological studies, suggest that we as humans belong to the evolutionary chain, and co-exist alongside other creatures on a planet that is itself evolving. Life began somehow in a chaotic bio-electrical soup, rather wonderful to think about.
    There should be room enough in the human mind for both to sit happily together side by side. Existence is a combination of the imagined and the factual.

And creation is also factual, but the story in the Bible is shrouded in metaphor. Those who take it literally will never see.

5. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

Neither!

6. profile image0
    Mark Knolesposted 10 years ago

I believe in the 6 day Creation because the Bible says this is how it is and it hasn't steered me wrong, yet.

7. John of the Cross profile image60
    John of the Crossposted 10 years ago

Both are true, and not in opposition (unless you ascribe to static categories). To God, a day is a thousand years, and a thousand years is a day. The argument you cite is pure illusion.

Biblical literalists miss the spirit of scripture. The letter (literal) leads only to death.

8. Bartney Money profile image59
    Bartney Moneyposted 10 years ago

I am not sure if our interpretation of 6 days is correct from the the Bible but yes The bible is better to believe. I think who believe in big bang are also big bang but there is hope for all

Jesus taught with difficult parables. The Bible has hidden wisdom. Why? For the humility and hard work. God never admired laziness and arrogance.

9. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

Both! I believe in Creation and Evolution. God is that smart.

Nye is a TV personality who understands a little science. Ham is a biblical literalist who is being arrogant and lazy, because that's what literalists do. I was born a literalists (Southern Baptist), but by age 9, I knew it wasn't right for me.

God is far more powerful and intelligent than Ken Ham gives Him credit for being. God created evolution and it works beautifully.

Ham misinterprets the Bible by thinking that death was created in the Garden. He's confusing spiritual death with physical death. The Bible is not to be taken entirely literally. There are too many things hidden within it. 2 Cor. 3:6 warns us against the letter (literal), for only the spirit of scripture will lead to everlasting life.

The universe is billions of years old. Just look at pictures of galaxies in collision for proof of this.
    http://www.the-love-of-god.com/galaxies.php

10. Lady Guinevere profile image66
    Lady Guinevereposted 10 years ago

It's all and everything.  They all exist.  Now I am going to throw something out here that just will make you go hmmmm.  If the creators were aliens of another race on another planet then it would depend on how far way they were to have to come here and make a planet.  Mayan said it was the Plaideans.  How many "light" years away are they.  How many trips they had to make to put things into place.  Then there are the Sumerians that are mention in the Roman bible that is used today.  Where did they come from and how long was a day to them from their planet to ours. 
    As far as evolution.....every plant, animals and reptile evolves.  They have to because that is the survival of the fittest and each one is constantly changing to better itself.  I think it was made that way for a reason. 
    The Big Bang...sure thing that this exists too.  They did a study on atoms and what they found was that if a few where in close proximity of any others then they gravitated towards each other.  When they hit---BANG!

So six years our rotation around the sun or six "light" years.  Not everything has the same lifespan nor do they have the same metabolism.

11. Edward J. Palumbo profile image85
    Edward J. Palumboposted 10 years ago

This issue pops up often as a stumbling block: 6 days? The word used for "day" is "yom" which can be translated as "day, age, epoch". We do much the same in English when we say, King Arthur's day" or "…in David's day".
    I remind you, the Almighty does not wear a wristwatch; He stands outside of time. This might better be expressed as 6 phases or steps.
    We conveniently describe a day in terms of one rotation of the Earth on its axis. When you think of it, that's a bit limiting.
    Briefly, the translation isn't incorrect if you read it in cultural context. The danger in taking these issues too literally without digging a bit deeper in study is the very real likelihood of being misled. We're reading an ancient document with a 21st Century thought process that seeks to quantify, that wants exactitude. Not to overstate, but in Moses' day (he transcribed the first five books of Scripture), that was not the priority nor the intent. Good question!

1. John of the Cross profile image60
      John of the Crossposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well stated.

12. LoisRyan13903 profile image61
    LoisRyan13903posted 9 years ago

Yes I believe in the 6 Day Creation.  But how long is a day?  Was it a 24 hour day that we know or was it something longer.  As Lee mentions God's day may be different from our day.

1. dashingscorpio profile image79
      dashingscorpioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

LoisRyan13903, That's one of the problems many people have with the bible. Some things are said to be literal and others are not! When Jesus fasted for 40 days was it a 24 hour day? When it rained for 40 days was it a 24 hour day? No continuity.

2. LoisRyan13903 profile image61
      LoisRyan13903posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I believe those were literal days but how long was a literal day back then?  When was the 24 hour day invented?

3. dashingscorpio profile image79
      dashingscorpioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In the end faith is simply believing. It becomes a slippery slope when one attempts to either explain, defend, or justify their beliefs. One should be able to say; "In my heart I just believe it." and leave it at that. Faith often defies logic.

13. Readmikenow profile image95
    Readmikenowposted 2 years ago

It is difficult for many people to read the Bible and not think of it in literal terms.  We try to understand it in terms familiar to us.  As humans, we need to realize our understanding of God and the spiritual world is limited.

What we think of as six days, could translate to six hundred thousand years in the spiritual world.  Since all we know is the world around us, it may seem confusing.

There is a huge difference between our world and the spiritual world.  The laws of science that apply here, do not apply in the spiritual world.

When reading the Bible, or quoting the Bible, you have to remember this to keep things in perspective.

1. Kyler J Falk profile image89
      Kyler J Falkposted 2 years agoin reply to this

"In order to properly translate words written by men, you must be open to the idea that these men were simply writing what a disembodied voice told them to write and somehow those anecdotal translations can be taken as literal so long as they don't make the religion look bad."

^That is my understanding of what was just said. Whenever I hear things like this I just look to other countries that still practice religion in its literal forms.

If religious people simply said, "Screw your feelings, we should all worship, or not, in utter privacy and silence," I'd be much more accepting of religious mysticism; heck, I might even start promoting religion myself under those circumstances. But when you try to defend things as being empirical while also saying that you have to translate them through the byzantine conduits of human misinterpretation, you're basically just calling it total nonsense.

Religion is an art, organized religion is a manipulative art, and both forms are purely subjective, individualized, and so open to interpretation that any wannabe con artist could study them and gain a following of the misguided. Fortunately, though, mainstream religion has pretty much locked down the market and it is rare a rogue sect crops itself up successfully in the long-term.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)