jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

What is your favorite Bible scripture?

1. Perspycacious profile image81
    Perspycaciousposted 3 years ago

What is your favorite Bible scripture?

I have to especial favorites:  John 15:13-14 most Christians are familiar with the 13th verse but not as much the 14th.  13:"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."  14: "Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you." 
    My second one is  John 14:23  "If a man love me, he will keep my words, and my Father will love him and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.'

2. Ericdierker profile image52
    Ericdierkerposted 3 years ago

1 Corinthians 13. I think too many reserve this for weddings. I think the whole thing, not just 4-7 is worthy of a frequent read. If the whole of the Bible is read through this scripture as a lens then that is what we get out of reading the Bible. If the greatest commandments are fulfilled in this manner then there is little room for error.

Perspycaciousposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Included in charity is charitable thought.  It is sorely lacking in politics and, in fact, in most of Christendom, even between various Christian faiths all of which base their doctrine on scriptures such as this portion you mention.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 3 years ago

Love is patient, Love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 1 Corinthians 13:4-6

4. Robert the Bruce profile image61
    Robert the Bruceposted 3 years ago

I Samuel 15:3 is a great one. It really illustrates the loving compassion of Israel's God.

Perspycaciousposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Smiling at your "favorite" as well as knowing where you are coming from.  Thanks for adding to this growing collection of perspectives.

2. Robert the Bruce profile image61
      Robert the Bruceposted 3 years agoin reply to this

No problem, P.

3. Ericdierker profile image52
      Ericdierkerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Interesting choice. Many would call this the most troubling.

4. Robert the Bruce profile image61
      Robert the Bruceposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Troubling for those who claim a "loving" God, yes...

5. Ericdierker profile image52
      Ericdierkerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I would hope it be troubling to anyone. The whole notion is just hard to bear. I can see how it might be one of the most thought provoking and therefor a favorite to some.

5. Mike Marks profile image73
    Mike Marksposted 3 years ago

when the one "good" man Lot offers up his daughters to be abused by the mob just so long as the mob does not molest the guests in his house... what a guy... I sure can see how the angels wanted to save and preserve his kind

6. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 3 years ago

Genesis 1:26, that God created us in His image and likeness. And He is not Homo sapiens!

2 Cor. 3:6, that we need to follow the spirit, not the letter (literal), for the letter leads to death. Too many people take the Bible literally and miss most of its meaning (both atheists and believers).

Numbers 14:18, about the sins of the fathers. Only the guilty pay for their crimes, 3-4 generations later. Reincarnation. In a new lifetime, the hardened heart of the criminal is reformed and they have another opportunity to open that new heart to Love (God).

working