Where In the Bible Does It Say pray to mary the mother of Jesus?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (49 posts)
  1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 9 years ago

Also, the book of Maccabes is not in the KJV (sorry spelling)
    and that is the only book, as far as I know, where it talks about praying FOR the dead.

Bible believers believe that Christ paid our sins, once and for all, so we are (in Ephesians it says) saved by grace Thru faith - not by works, lest any man should boast, but naturally we will want to be good when we are saved, it comes in the "package" and you will have good fruits. If you don't you're not really saved, or youre backslidiing, and you'll reap the consequences of your sin (all sin has consequences ----by the natural law --)

1. bBerean profile image59
      bBereanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Praying to Mary is not in the bible, because it is not biblical.  It is in several places in the Catholic Catechism, where all sorts of unbiblical things live.  494  says:... As St. Irenaeus says, “Being obedient she became the cause of salvation for herself and for the whole human race.” ...

schoolgirlforrealposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Really? that's whacked. I mean by her Jesus was born, but he is the Redeemer

1. Cat333 profile image60
          Cat333posted 9 years agoin reply to this

schoolgirlforreal, I'm so glad you are letting the Spirit and the Word guide you, rather than any people or their traditions! Great question and I see you are getting a lot of godly answers. May God bless you!!

Thank you, Cat smile

2. Cat333 profile image60

"494  says:... As St. Irenaeus says, 'Being obedient she became the cause of salvation for herself and for the whole human race.' ..." Sounds sacrilegious, doesn't it, since the Lord alone is the "cause of salvation". Too bad all the traditions get added in and people can't seem to stick to the pure inspired Word.

2. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

How does it affect your faith and religious practices if people pray to Mary, or if such prayer is not prescribed in the Bible?  Someone in the Amazon jungle is praying to a jaguar  right now.  That's not in the Bible either.  Does it affect you?

lol

no comment. don't want to get into a useless dispute.

I could give you an answer ---about me specifically----but I dont dare

2. Sed-me profile image79
        Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Respectfully, here's the thing. How does it affect you if a kid in the 11th grade uses chemistry to solve calculus problems? (That's not a thing, right?) Or if his high school teacher has taught him to write his equations from right to left? (That's not a thing either, right? Cause I'm trying to make a point.)

I love freedom of religion. I love devout and loving Catholics. But if there truly is one way to get to God then *that* is HUGE!
        "Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." Jn 14:6
        (and)
        "But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Mt 7:14

So it behooves us to study the greatest tool we have that teaches us the very heart, mind, history, future and being of God Himself.

To stay on point, if the bible says the only way to get to God is thru Jesus and a book that is not the Word of God says, "hey... also his mom is the way to salvation." Then it's important that that point be recognized. As a matter of fact, it seems very important to recognize every way out there being taught that it claims it is "a way" to get to God. The bible charges us to "work out our salvation with fear and trembling." Phil 2:12 There's nothing wrong with discussing and comparing different teachings, even if we don't agree as long as we are respectful. I would *never* say that a Catholic person doesn't love Jesus as much as I do, they are as individual as Protestants. But I can say I believe many of their teachings are not biblical.

1. profile image0
          lambservantposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sed-me, I  love your opening analogies.

1. Sed-me profile image79

Thanks... we can't all be amazing mathematicians, but I can.

1. bBerean profile image59
              bBereanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think your use of periodic tables for calculus is sorcery.  wink

2. profile image0

In think in general, people are better off minding their own problems, rather than expending brain energy to judge other people on how Biblical or un-Biblical their religious practices are.  Life is already stressful enough as it is without worrying if your neighbor is meeting your religious standards.  I keep my standards pretty low so I'm not frequently disappointed.

To answer your first question, if someone uses unorthodox techniques to solve math problems, I would congratulate them on their innovation.  Math problems can be solved many different ways and still produce the right answer. Kind of like religion and leading a good life. smile

Truth matters. Some want Truth, even if it means being corrected, rebuked, or enlightened. Today's attitude of "I'm okay; you're okay" does no one any real favors. I'd rather a Spirit-filled person rebuke and correct me with knowledge and wisdom than simply "mind their own problems" and leave me unaware of something important. It doesn't mean they've made a final judgment on us, but the Spirit-filled person is to judge all things and help accordingly (with a humble spirit, knowing that it is God who makes us stand and reveals truth to us). Using wisdom and knowledge, spurring one another on toward loving actions, encouraging one another as well as holding each other accountable are all central to our spiritual growth. If we desire and seek spiritual maturity, then we will desire others who rely on the Holy Spirit to lead us into greater truth.

Yes Cat,
              This is why I've been doing so much better health wise and spiritually wise. The bible is healing me, literally. I am much more positive! You're absolutely right! This is why I asked. I want the TRUTH. smile

Awesome!

Then you are very wise... many do not. When seeking an answer, what is more important than the truth? Why would anyone want to spend their life pursuing or being satisfied with falsehoods? Jesus is the way, the *truth* and the life. You want Jesus. Those who seek, will find. Blessings!

1. profile image0
                  Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So he is the truth because you and someone a few thousand years ago say so. You have no evidence, other than saying it's the truth.

The truth is no one has any idea what the truth is, you have about 1 chance in thousands of knowing the truth.

Good luck.

That's the key.

3. schoolgirlforreal profile image78

thumbs up, you say it well (y) smile

2. profile image0
    lambservantposted 9 years ago

You will not find it in the Holy Bible. It tells us to pray to the Father through Jesus Christ. The Bible should be our only source and rule for faith and doctrine because it is inspired (God breathed) by the Holy spirit.

If someone can find it in the Bible I would love to get the reference.

Thank you. smile

Some times old habits die hard esp when my mom and sis always ask me to pray a hail mary with them...most of the time I say no

I find a lot of peace in the bible , prayer to God -- relationship-- of course and inspirational speakers, like Joyce Meyer

1. lyns profile image72
        lynsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@schoolgirl, love your view yes J. Meyer is very inspirational and speaks on sound things

Thank you lyns, you rock smile

yes, I love Joyce!

2. tlmcgaa70 profile image60
          tlmcgaa70posted 9 years agoin reply to this

i am sorry, but only someone who is not grounded in the Word of GOD could possibly say joyce myers is teaching sound doctrine.....2 Timothy 4:3 [KJV]
          For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Amen, lambservant!

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 9 years ago

Ho hum. 

Everyone believes what they want. If some Christians want to pray to Mary and some don't...aren't we lucky that there are places each can go to do just what they want to?

I give a two thumbs up to freedom of religion. Because for every eyebrow we raise at other practices there are two eyebrows that can be raised at our own.

No comment.

This forum is about what is concerning ME not anyone else. And you didn't answer the question. So your comment is N/A.

Nice try though.

buh bye lol

2. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm forced to agree with you. I don't like it, but it's all I can do.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
        MelissaBarrettposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm forced to agree with you both... which is really scary.

Emile, I will say on a very rare note... that you gave a valid opinion. When I give you sarcasm, it is in the spirit of debate, not because you didn't support me and tell me that I was correct in a fight I had with a family member... of course I would be unlikely to bring my personal issues to any public forum. I have, quite honestly, never seen an adult outside of facebook do so. Still, you were posting in the spirit that these were adult forums with people who were wanting conversation, not domestic intervention... and I feel bad that your perfectly fitting post was met as it was.

1. profile image0
          Emile Rposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Um, thanks. I don't think the response I got was inappropriate. Considering the subject matter and the history of questions on the subject of Catholicism having been presented by the original poster. I was aware the comment would fall on deaf ears.

As to your opinion of the validity of my opinion. I had to chuckle. Your disagreement on other issues does not negate the validity of opposing opinions and, quite frankly, tacking that on here in this forum was counterproductive. Well, counterproductive if you expected the following sentence to be viewed as an honest assessment of yourself. The rest of your paragraph pulled a question mark. I have no recollection of commenting on a disagreement you had with family members. Sorry if the exchange became burned in your memory. It wasn't memorable to me.

But, hey. It's all in the spirit you inappropriately label debate.

*Shrugs* Whatever you say Emilie.

1. profile image0

roll You couldn't have possibly believed your post wouldn't elicit a reply of similar tone.
              If it would make things simpler, separate agreement and insult into separate posts and I'll ignore both, whenever possible.

It would be very difficult to do that with you Emilie as you seem to feel I'm insulting you even when I'm not. Since I can be arsed to sort it out for you and don't really feel like taking the time to explain insults I didn't make, I repeat: *Shrugs* Whatever you say Emilie.

1. profile image0

roll

4. profile image0
    lambservantposted 9 years ago

The Bible says Mary was highly favored by God, but not revered and when the shepherds came and the wise men, they did not worship or pray to Mary, their focus was on the Christ child. In Mary's song it also says that people will call her blessed but not divine. The word blessed in this verse (Luke 1:48) means "to pronounce happy"(Vine's Expository Dictionary). In Mary's song she magnifies the Lord, calling Him God and Savior. Another thing to consider is that though Jesus was born of the Immaculate conception, Mary later went on to have relations with Joseph and bore more children. When Jesus was 12 and he and his family went to Jerusalem and his parents couldn't find him on the way back, they returned to the city and found him a few days later speaking great things to the religious leaders. Mary, not getting this, says to Him, Why have you done this to us? Look, your father and I have sought you anxiously." When Jesus told her and Joseph he was doing His Father's business, it says that Mary and Joseph did not understand that. She was not divine, just a human who was blessed and favored enough to be Jesus mother, nothing more.

You've been raised Catholic and so this tradition of praying to Mary is very ingrained. I can see where it would be hard to think differently. But we have to think biblically, not traditionally. Think of it this way, you will never, ever go wrong praying to the Father and the Son. Blessings my friend.

Thank you. I appreciate you explaining it this way.

5. Perspycacious profile image63
    Perspycaciousposted 9 years ago

It is appropriate that Mary be typed as Mary out of respect not only for her but for those who pray to her in her name, but others pray to saints, etc.
    If there is anything sad about all this, perhaps it is that while the Holy Bible teaches us to "pray continuously" some of Heavenly Father's children seldom pray at all!

We should pray 'constantly' meaning , talking to God all day long. smile

1. Perspycacious profile image63
        Perspycaciousposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Talking prayerfully, yes; but listening also with our hearts.

6. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 9 years ago

It doesn't but so what? Are you suggesting the God is going to send Catholics to hell for some misguided belief?

No,
      I just get pressured to do it by my mother and SHE thinks I'll go to hell if I don't pray to mary. THAT's the absurdity!!!

It's about control...my mom wants to control but she also believes that.

It started with books like "True Devotion to Mary"

1. profile image0

Now that you've given more context to your question, I think you should just tell your mom to mind her own business rather than try to convince her with a Biblical argument. smile

I usually end up praying an Our Father with her.
          But this was something I asked for myself as well, since I was brought up Catholic.

Why would you jump to that conclusion? Someone seeking to find and abide in the Truth is NOT necessarily implying anything about anyone else.

Personally I believe the Catholic Church (and many others, though perhaps often to lesser degrees) have added much that is not only unbiblical but even sacrilegious, but that doesn't mean I question the salvation of those in these churches, who are often simply misguided. Jesus Christ is their salvation and he alone will judge their hearts.

7. shelpeare profile image64
    shelpeareposted 9 years ago

God never said to pray to Mary or any of the saints. In fact 1 Timothy 2:5  says "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

Yes!

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image78

Thank you. smile

8. Debraw50 profile image68
    Debraw50posted 9 years ago

Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. I am Lutheran and we do not pray to Mary as the Catholics do, but I have catholic friends and we do not talk about each other's way of beliefs. Jesus says that we should all get along and love each other. I am sure that Mary is very important, after all. she is the Mother of Jesus. And as for your question. I haven't seen it yet where we are to pray to the Mother Mary.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)