jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What Does Communion Mean to Christians?

1. PhoenixV profile image69
    PhoenixVposted 2 years ago

What Does Communion Mean to Christians?

2. connorj profile image77
    connorjposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12508521_f260.jpg

Communion actually is interpreted differently by various Christian denominations. I can only text significantly about the Catholic Faith (one, well the first particular denomination within the Christian Faith). Receiving Communion is the most significant Sacrament to Catholics.Through the Holy Eucharist, in this and in no other sacrament, we receive the very body and blood, soul and divinity of Jesus Christ. Innumerable, precious graces come to us through the reception of Holy Communion. Communion is an intimate encounter with Christ, in which we sacramentally receive Christ into our bodies, that we may be more completely assimilated into his. "The Eucharist builds the Church," as Pope John Paul II said (Redemptor Hominis 20). It deepens unity with the Church, more fully assimilating us into Christ (1 Cor. 12:13; CCC 1396). Communion also strengthens the individual because in it Jesus himself, the Word made flesh, forgives our venial sins and gives us the strength to resist mortal sin. It is also the very channel of eternal life: Jesus himself. 
    In John’s gospel, Jesus summarized the reasons for receiving Communion when he said:
    "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is real food, and my blood is real drink. He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me. This is the bread which came down from heaven, not such as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live forever" (John 6:53–58).
    Because of the gravity of Jesus’ teaching on receiving Communion, the Church encourages Catholics to receive frequent Communion, even daily Communion if possible.

1. Rich kelley profile image60
      Rich kelleyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Keep reading
      John 6:63  It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.

2. profile image56
      Norine Williamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I Agree Rich!

3. profile image56
    Norine Williamsposted 2 years ago

I don't know what it "means to Christians," but Disciples of Christ (Gospel of Christ believers), were "commanded" to "... this do in remembrance of me." (I Corinthians 11:24)  We should always "remember" that the shedding of "His blood" is what affords us the opportunity to "eternal life!"

However, do we "remember Him" by taking what He told us to take (bread and water) for the Communion?  Most take "wine" for Communion although Scripture tells us in Romans 14:13-23 but v21 in particular which says "It is good neither to eat meat NOR TO DRINK WINE, nor ANYTHING by which thy brother stumbleth or is offended, or is made weak."  Do you think He wants us to take ANYTHING (Wine) that causes "thy brother to stumble" for Communion?   "Religion" errs according to Scripture!

What about "grape juice?"  Matthew 26:29 and Mark 14:25 does say "...I will not drink henceforth of this "fruit of the VINE..."  which is an allegory!  John 15:1-10 says (v1) "I AM THE TRUE VINE..." which proves that the "VINE" is an "allegory" of how Jesus is the VINE and we should be "branches of Jesus" (Christ-like) which has NOTHING to do with what is "in the cup" for Communion!

Everything and I mean EVERYTHING one should do for salvation is written in the Word of God!  What should be  "in the cup" for Communion is given us in Scripture and can be found if His Word is "rightly divided" praying and seeking guidance from the Holy Spirit!

Did not Jesus say in Matthew 26:28, Luke 22:20 and I Corinthians 11:25 that the "new testament" (or New Covenant) was "IN HIS BLOOD" which was "SHED?" 

Did not John 19:34 tell us that "...one of the soldiers, with a spear, pierced his side, and immediately came there out blood and WATER?"  Do you notice the importance of the next verse (v35)? "WITNESS...that you might "believe!"     

Well, there, now you have it!  TRUTH!  What "religion" does NOT teach!

Galatians 1:6-9!

1. profile image56
      Norine Williamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

II Cor 3:18!  NEW REVELATION:  See my Q & A "After reading I Corinthians 11:18-22, do you think we should take The Communion?"

working