jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (18 posts)

Can we as humans ever be truly satisfied?

1. Parhesh Kumar profile image80
    Parhesh Kumarposted 2 years ago

Can we as humans ever be truly satisfied?

2. sheyi kojo profile image59
    sheyi kojoposted 2 years ago

man can never be satisfied no matter the level society place that individual, I guess that is why God is God.

3. Julia Eppehimer profile image86
    Julia Eppehimerposted 2 years ago

I think that we can. But I also believe in God, so if you don't believe in God, my answer wouldn't make any sense. But I have learned in my own life to trust that God's got me, even if I am not too happy with my circumstances. I know that who I am does not depend on what happens to me. So if you're able to stop focusing on your circumstances, and focus on God, then yes, you can find peace and satisfaction.

1. thegecko profile image77
      thegeckoposted 2 years agoin reply to this

So, focus on something to an extent that you don't have time to focus on yourself and be worried about being satisfied?

2. Julia Eppehimer profile image86
      Julia Eppehimerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry yourself or stress over or think all these negative thoughts about what you're going through. Know that joy is not dependent on your circumstances. Know that your life is not defined by what you do. Trust in God and know that he made you.

3. Parhesh Kumar profile image80
      Parhesh Kumarposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for amazing response. I do believe in god and you've strengthen my belief. This question is part of project for Cambridge Uni. UK. I need some more help with diff. perspectives, I've sent you a fan mail with detail hope you can help thnxs

4. Michael-Milec profile image59
    Michael-Milecposted 2 years ago

When we are content with that we have, we are truly satisfied. Begins and continues by knowing the Word- Living word manifested in Jesus-Christ-God; knowing God as our  (my)  heavenly Father in relationship of doing His will is regarded the great object of life.
    My life: He supplies all my needs and  that makes God's children rather content:  physically,mentally, spiritually s a t i s f i e d with things as they are.

5. xInspiredx profile image59
    xInspiredxposted 2 years ago

I have changed my attitude towards myself and have become a much better person. No matter what my mishaps are in life I take it deal with it and move on with positive thinking and my outcomes are quite satisfying. Yes, as a human I am truly satisfied.

6. peachpurple profile image84
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

No humans are greedy creatures, money is not enough, jeslousy and greed lingers everywhere

7. rideinthesidecar2 profile image59
    rideinthesidecar2posted 2 years ago

I do think we can. But in order to do that we need to be more trusting of ourselves, not follow the masses and live by the heart. We need to know our hearts.
    People in general are insecure and feel the need to gain approval. I don't believe humans need a supreme being for guidance or to put faith into. Some may disagree but I actually believe the God so many profess to believe in is not an omnipotent creature. The God many believe in was created by man, in mans image. The current attitudes of many that their God is better than another's God is just stupefying to me.
    How about we go within and stop being preoccupied with material things and live life with respect for our planet and others and love everyone beginning with ourselves. It is possible.

8. profile image57
    Max Harmonposted 2 years ago

Not until the corruptible puts on the incorruptible.

9. manatita44 profile image82
    manatita44posted 2 years ago

Not outside of Realisation or Oneness with his Source. In fact, the highest Souls teach that even then, it is a continuous process. But yes, man can achieve a state at which point it becomes irreversible, and he goes beyond suffering, but not seeking. Love is essentially a yearning of the One for the One.  It is an ever-transcending journey.

The Soul is in isolation from its Source and through 'trials' or 'struggle', it gradually finds its way Home. Adversity is part of the process. Hari Om!

10. Khawaja Iqbal profile image70
    Khawaja Iqbalposted 2 years ago

Anas b. Malik reported Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) as saying:
    If there were two valleys of gold for the son of Adam, he would long for another one. and his mouth will not be filled but with dust, and Allah returns to him who repents.
    Reference     : Sahih Muslim 1048 c
    In-book reference     : Book 12, Hadith 154
    USC-MSA web (English) reference     : Book 5, Hadith 2284
      (deprecated numbering scheme)

11. Terrex profile image79
    Terrexposted 2 years ago

Double-edged sword, satisfaction.
    If we are satisfied, we stagnate. All the progress all our ancestors made was because individuals or groups decided that the status quo was not good enough.
    On the flipside, there is a fine line between lack of satisfaction and greed.

1. Parhesh Kumar profile image80
      Parhesh Kumarposted 2 years agoin reply to this

thanks for the well balanced perspective,
      i think your right, we can be satisfied if we choose to, however only a few make that choice.

12. thegecko profile image77
    thegeckoposted 2 years ago

Emile Durkheim, a father of sociology, stated, "The more one has, the more one wants, since satisfactions received only stimulate instead of filling needs... they constantly and infinitely surpass the means at their command; they cannot be quenched."

I think we cannot be truly satisfied because once we fill one desire, we begin to seek another. The more complex society becomes, the more possibilities and options exist. The more desires we create for ourselves.

We can be content, be more satisfied than not. But completely satisfied? I don't think so smile

13. glesbethbaggao profile image62
    glesbethbaggaoposted 2 years ago

As stated in 1st Timothy 6:6 of the Holy Bible, "Godliness with contentment is a great gain."
    Yes, we are able to be truly satisfied if we put in mind that there is enough for everyone's need but not for anyone's greed.

14. Kara33 profile image61
    Kara33posted 2 years ago

Eric Hoffer said it perfect:

"When our dreams come true, they turn into a nightmare."

You can never get enough of what you don't need

working