jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why has most of the world lost all its morality?

1. Gaurav Oberoi profile image78
    Gaurav Oberoiposted 2 years ago

Why has most of the world lost all its morality?

2. Tusitala Tom profile image61
    Tusitala Tomposted 2 years ago

Here is a question making an assumption.  It is deliberately couched to get an answer that would show the questioner to be right.  Bit like, "When did you stop beating your wife?"   You know the idea.  You're in trouble no matter how you answer it.

Is the world's human population less moral than it was ten, twenty or four hundred years ago?  Probably not.   Human nature changes very slowly over the millennia.  We know we are a little more moral in the 21st Century than we were in, say, the 2nd when the conquering armies of Rome made slaves of those they defeated.  Now with give them aid to recover.

Many countries have done away with the death penalty.  The reasons are manifold, one, of course, being that if later a prisoner is found to have been innocent after all...we couldn't bring him back.  And let's face it, there have been and still are miscarriages of justice.

So, Mister questioner, ask a real question rather than making a statement that directs the recipient to answer you with what you want to hear.

3. profile image36
    truthphilosopherposted 2 years ago

I don't think the world has lost all of its morality, but i do believe the following reason is one of many, which can be attributed to why people may become less moral:

More and more people now, hold the view that the universe is one big accident, morals are just subjective (not true ultimate right and wrong). there is no ultimate punishment for "doing wrong", and we only live once so just do what pleasures you.

It is these mindless, selfish thoughts which could be attributed to moral bankruptcy.

4. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12674723_f260.jpg

There are over 7 Billion people on this planet!
    Most of the world contains law abiding citizens. In the eyes of many folks if they're not breaking the laws of their country they are in line.
    Most people get up and go to work or school, come home have dinner watch TV, and go to bed. On weekends they may go out with a mate, friends, and family. You're not going to see that on CNN, BBC, FOX News or MSNBC.
    What makes the "news" are the "exception" and not the "rule".
    Everyone has (their own) "moral compass".
    Whenever someone says: "The world has lost all it's morality." it usually means that individual has decided how everyone should behave or live according (their) moral beliefs or values.
    It's the equivalent of saying everyone should follow the dictates of a specific religion (the individual's) or have the same taste in clothing, approach dating/relationships in the same manner, or share their same values. No one is "perfect" or "sin free".
    Ecclesiastes 7:20
    "For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not."
    Matthew 7:1 "Judge not lest ye be judged."
    Human beings also make mistakes!
    Every "Saint" has a past and every "Sinner" has a future!

5. Aime F profile image85
    Aime Fposted 2 years ago

The problem is that different people have different ideas about what's immoral.  I think we can all pretty much agree on the basics, like murder, theft, etc. but once you get into social issues things get a bit mucky. 

See, in my opinion, the world has taken pretty big strides towards morality over the past several decades with granting some equal rights to women and different races (though we still have a ways to go for both), equal rights for the LGBT community, etc.   Of course some people think that some women's rights are immoral (having the option to have an abortion), and that giving gays the right to marry is immoral, etc.  So where I see progress someone else sees deterioration.   

I think you'd have a hard time arguing that the world is less moral than it was 200 years ago regardless of what your stances are on social issues we face today, as I'm sure you can agree that it's a positive thing that in many parts of the world women are no longer viewed as property and humans are not treated as slaves.

working