jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

How did the Israelites come to be captive in Egypt in the first place?

1. Missing Link profile image81
    Missing Linkposted 2 years ago

How did the Israelites come to be captive in Egypt in the first place?

How did the Israelites come to be enslaved in Egypt in the first place?

I think this is described in the Old Testament but I did not understand.  I'm reading thru the Old Testament and am almost to Deuteronomy.  I understand their Exodus from Egypt for the most part.

I find the Old Testament to be difficult to read -- not because I have a developmental reading disorder but there is something about the language, wording, etc. 

Thanks!

2. kbdressman profile image94
    kbdressmanposted 2 years ago

Joseph was sold into Egypt as a slave.  His master's wife framed him for sexual assault and he was imprisoned.  Eventually he was released for his ability to decipher dreams.  He was hired by Pharaoh as a reward.  While in that position, his family came to Pharaoh's court looking for food because of a widespread famine.  They then moved to Egypt where Pharaoh provided jobs and took care of them.  That Pharaoh was very kind to Joseph and his family, who became known as the Israelites. Unfortunately, he died and his successor wasn't as kind to them.  He feared the Israelites would outnumber the Egyptians and take over his kingdom.  So, he increased their taxes and limited their religious worship.  They were thus slaves to his demands.

1. profile image60
      peter565posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I think there is something to do with the legion.  there was at least thousands or hundred of Jews when Moses left Egypt, how could that start off with one family, the Egyptions can easily breed them out.

2. kbdressman profile image94
      kbdressmanposted 2 years agoin reply to this

They started with 70 people and it was several generations later, peter565.  The story is found in Exodus Chapter 1, Missing_Link.

3. profile image55
      Norine Williamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Grt Resp Kbd: Link: U're ON IT! Not difficult! His CHOSEN PEOPLE n OT=No ONE better touch them! GOD prospers (takes care of) HIS OWN! He Had too for Jesus' (Genealogy) coming! Cares NOW for LOVE of ALL who BELIEVES ALL OF HIS "rightly divided" WORD!

4. Missing Link profile image81
      Missing Linkposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks very much kbdressman--very helpful!

3. profile image55
    Norine Williamsposted 2 years ago

kbdressman couldn't have explained it better!  Great Response! 

GOD KNEW that He had to come to "reconcile" us unto Himself (II Corinthians 5:18-19)!  He saw that the "hearts of men were CONTINUOUSLY "evil," (Genesis 6:5) and NO ONE could come and 'get the job done' but HIMSELF!  Therefore, He "manifested HIMSELF in the flesh" (I Timothy 3:16) as JESUS CHRIST, DIED for the remission of our sins "...Behold, the Lamb of GOD who "takes away the sin" of the world." (John 1:29)

P.S. Maybe you should get translation such as English Standard Version or Common English Bible if too many thee's and thou's!

THANK YOU MY PRECIOUS JESUS!

1. Missing Link profile image81
      Missing Linkposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Norine!

working