jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What do you think of ministers who use pop cultural references, i.e. Kanye or C

1. bluesradio profile image75
    bluesradioposted 2 years ago

What do you think of ministers who use pop cultural references, i.e. Kanye  or Cinderella in sermons

2. profile image57
    Norine Williamsposted 2 years ago

As Jesus tried to "relate" to "mere man," by using the "term" (GLORIES)  Father and Son, ministers use today's references to try and "relate" to today's audience!  As long as they use references "in right context," not deviating from TRUTH in HIS WORD, I (not God), believe it's OK! 

Did not Jesus try to "relate" to the audience during his walk on earth?  He was born "under the law" (Galatians 4:4) and lived according to the "law" (of the land) "fulfilling the law" of GOD!  He assembled in Synagogues "fulfilling the law," of GOD; he paid taxes according to the law (of the land); otherwise He would not have appeared a "righteous man!" 

Sorry, OFF TOPIC:  Do you not know that is why Peter (After the Day of Pentecost) believed "circumcision" was necessary for He had walked with Jesus (unlike Paul) under the "law" and revelation was not given (re:circumcision) until after revealed to Paul (a vessel; Acts 9:15) under New Covenant?   

I continue to wonder why MOST believe Paul was not speaking on Jesus' behalf especially when Scripture said in Acts 9:15 "he (Paul) would be a vessel to me" (Jesus)!  Do you not know that a "vessel" is an "empty" pot and (in Paul's case) filled with the Holy Spirit (Jesus; John 14:24 "...in MY NAME...")?  Therefore, when Paul spoke it was actually Jesus speaking THROUGH Paul! 

If you recall, Scripture said in Jeremiah 31:33; Hebrews 8:10; and 10:16 that He (Jesus aka God) would "put his laws in their hearts and minds" {paraphrasing} and that is precisely what happened on The Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:2) when Holy Spirit (Jesus) came and began doing just that, and the apostles began "standing in Christ's stead" or speaking what Jesus had "put in their minds and hearts" (Jeremiah and Hebrews)! 

THIS IS WHERE "RELIGION" (aka Satan/man) has "twisted" The Gospel of Christ deceiving MOST into thinking Paul was "mere man," rather than what Jesus said he was "A vessel for Christ" (Acts 9:15) in which He would "put His laws into their hearts and minds" (Jeremiah and Hebrews) and began speaking through them!

NOTE:  Satan is LAUGHING; ENJOYING seeing his "Greatest Device" (RELIGION) lose souls - IT'S WORKING all because we are too LAZY to "STUDY" for ourselves! 

REMINDER:  "Study" (II Timothy 2:15) and "Search (Scripture) to see if these things are so" (Acts 17:11)!

1. Zelkiiro profile image94
      Zelkiiroposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Putting random WORDS in all CAPS is EXTREMELY distracting and a sign OF poor writing TECHNIQUE.

2. profile image57
      Norine Williamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Zel: You got the "message" didn't you? Not that you care! UNBELIEVER and/or DEVIL'S ADVOCATE?

Find that book of prophecies or else - HOT AIR!

3. SpiritusShepherd profile image60
    SpiritusShepherdposted 2 years ago

I believe references to popular culture can help to illustrate certain Biblical points. I sometimes will use quotes or scenes from movies or television shows to aid me in speaking to people on difficult matters. For myself, I came to understand God better through Star Wars.
    Paul says, "To the Jews, I became a Jew, to the Gentiles to I became a Gentile, to the strong I showed myself strong and to the weak, I became weak, that by all means I could reach some for Jesus Christ" (paraphrased)
    It is the same when a missionary goes to a new country, they must learn the culture and the language there so that the people there can understand what is being spoken to them.
    However, I am uncomfortable, with entire sermons or sermon series being based around pop culture. The main focus should be on what Scripture says and on preaching the Gospel, to encourage Christians and bring unbelievers to salvation. If you want to use a reference to help people understand, fine, but your entire sermon shouldn't be based on the Cinderella story.
    Also I do believe we need to be careful about what references we use, so that we are not promoting things that should not be in the church. (In my opinion Kanye West is not an appropriate reference to use)

1. profile image57
      Norine Williamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

If "West" says anything that is according to WORD or if minister can show how one should NOT be like "West," why not? 
      I do agree one should be able to relate to "audience" when trying to "reach one for Jesus Christ" as Jesus TRIED to relate to us!