What does it mean in John 3:3 to be born both of spirit and water?

1. profile image59
    Knowchristposted 2 years ago

What does it mean in John 3:3 to be born both of spirit and water?

In my church I have often heard that baptism (water) is the outward sign of your salvation while the Holy Spirit is the inward sign. I believe that the water is symbolic of the cleansing of our sins as the Holy Spirit teaches and guide to be more like Jesus. There are things in our lives that are not consistent with the commandments or Jesus' teachings. So, as we study God's Word and learn more about him there is a cleansing or release of those things that are not like Jesus. Let me add that I do believe in water baptism.  I am speaking my truth, what is your truth about this topic?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12892859_f260.jpg

2. iggy7117 profile image80
    iggy7117posted 2 years ago

It means to be both water and spiritual birth. The water is a cleansing of the body and soul as a sign of your new commitment to Jesus. Many people may be born with the spirit and follow Jesus's teaching to the best of their abilities. Taking the water baptism shows a commitment the flesh makes to cleanse and follow the ways as well. In today's world it is difficult to follow the teachings, I do the best I can without running wild or pushing my beliefs on anyone else.

3. profile image58
    Norine Williamsposted 23 months ago

Let me give you Scripture as to what John 3:3 means: 

I Peter 3:20-21 says, "Which sometime were disobedient, when once the long-suffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a-preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water. (v21) The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also NOW save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but  the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ."   

Therefore, water baptism NOW shows "a good conscience toward God" but it is the Holy Spirit (or "by the resurrection of Jesus Christ") who NOW "puts away the filth of the flesh" by changing us from "glory to glory" (II Corinthians 3:18) or takes away the "filth of the flesh!"

Therefore, "I believe that water baptism "shows a good conscience toward God" as the Holy Spirit teaches and guide to be more like Jesus. There are things in our lives that are not consistent with the commandments or Jesus' teachings. So, as we study God's Word and learn more about him there is a cleansing or release of those things that are not like Jesus!" 

YES!!! (II Corinthians 3:18 ("from glory to glory")!

Amen!

working