Can we contribute to building peace into our everday life by being aware of the

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)
  1. threekeys profile image74
    threekeysposted 2 years ago

Can we contribute to building peace into our everday life by being aware of the words we choose?

We all cannot be a part of the U.N. creating peace in the world globally. Do you think instead of becoming overwhelmed by all the wars and divisions we could contribute towards safer and better conditions by choosing peace words - peaceful language when we connect with one another? For me that would make me feel like a contributing and productive citizen. At the same time I would feel less overwhelmed by all the wars and divisions that are bubbling up.
    Could that work? Or would we all become phonies? What do you think?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13051064_f260.jpg

2. RTalloni profile image88
    RTalloniposted 2 years ago

Your questions are valid, and there is much offered on the wisdom of using words rightly, such as Proverbs 12:18, There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing, Proverbs 15:1, A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger, and James 1:26, if one thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.

Though you are not talking about Christianity, the Bible has much to say about how to contend for the faith. The principles of the "how" can (and have been) applied to dealing with people in general, such as that from 1 Peter 3:15, But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect.

Peaceful language is very important and we should follow the wisdom of using it, but we should not expect that everyone in our own circle or globally will respond to it as they should.  It is just as important to be wary of enemies, including people who use peaceful language when the intent of their heart is quite different.  See John 16:33, I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation.  But take heart; I have overcome the world.

Definitions and contexts must be taken into consideration when we ponder such principles.  Not everyone's definition of peace is real peace.  Some only care about what they want, calling that peace, and they are not happy unless there is violence, or taking advantage of others for some reason, or any number of other not-so-peaceful behaviors.  That's why the moral code offered by Jesus the Christ is helpful to all of society, not just those who embrace His Gospel according to His Word. 

Having said all that, viva peaceful language!

1. Ericdierker profile image52
      Ericdierkerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

This surely is a very nice and good answer. If we could live by the principles set down here we would make a difference in the lives around us. Goodness in the words we use is contagious.

2. threekeys profile image74
      threekeysposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Naive and pollyanish? Maybe.... But have you got a better idea in how to deal with the spread of fear and division via those who have wide slice of the pie together with terroism? How we dont throw in the towel and allow ourselves to self destruct?

3. profile image57
      Norine Williamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

"Peace" can only be found when obeying WORD! REBUKE sin, as JESUS did when HE tore up Temple, teach RIGHT & get on 1 ACCORD (After the Cross) w/WORD="PEACE," "LOVE,"  "CHRIST-LIKENESS" & "JOY!"

3. profile image57
    Norine Williamsposted 2 years ago

I pray you all come to the realization that when Scripture is given, it's not a person's tongue talking, BUT GOD'S!  When "peaceful" words are given and are not from the WORD of GOD, they're for the "glorification" of men and NOT GOD!  Sure, they soothe "itching ears" and make men "feel good" or "inspire" them, but ask yourself, "Why are we here?" If Christian, TO GLORIFY GOD not man! 

Ephesians 4:29 tells us "Let not corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good (WORD) to the use of EDIFYING, that it may minister GRACE unto the hearers."  This is precisely why I "repeat" the WORD of GOD and is therefore, not me talking BUT GOD! 

Although IT IS WRITTEN, because of MOST'S "teachings, traditions, and RELIGIONS," they attack the messenger requiring me to "prove" with HIS WORD (II Timothy 3:16) where they err which "appears" to be arguing!  However, GOD SAID in Leviticus 19:17 "REBUKE your neighbor when in sin" {paraphrasing} and to "JUDGE" righteous judgment (John 7:24) which can ONLY be done with HIS WORD! 

Therefore, "when we connect with one another," tell TRUTH which is ONLY from the WORD of GOD; otherwise "we all will become phonies!" 

How wonderful it would be if we were ALL "WITH ONE ACCORD!" 

I Corinthians 1:10 says "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye ALL speak the same thing, and that there be no division among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the SAME MIND and in the SAME JUDGMENT." 

You see what at "TRUE" Disciple of Christ (Christian) should be like?  Sadly, RELIGION has "taught" to each his own and we're all serving the same GOD so I'll see you in heaven, which is A LIE!  I Corinthians 1:13 asks "Is Christ divided?" was Paul crucified for you? or were you baptized in the name of Paul?"  Why then are we divided?  Why didn't we "WAIT" for HELP ("revelation" of WORD) from the Holy Spirit (John 14:26; 16:13) as commanded in Acts 1:4?  If we would have, there would not be 33,000+ denominations in the U.S. today for we would ALL have the SAME MIND and we would not be "overwhelmed by all the wars and divisions...!" 

Philippians 2:5 tells us to "Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus."  And don't think the mind of Christ is ALL LOVE either!  Matthew 25:41 says "Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed (Galatians 1:6-9), into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels."

Hi Norine! One thing I have got to say you are a passionate Christian. Unfortunately I am unfamiliar with the scriptures of the Bible. So I can miss out on the points you are making. Its a shame. "Simple words for simple me" yes?

2. profile image57

WORD is "simple!"  Do you have a Bible?  The only way you'll be able to follow is to READ Bible FOR SELF (2 Tim 2:15)!  Don't take my word for IT!  Get Bible & STUDY! Don't forget "man lies" & GOD doesn't!  Why I repeat HIS WORD!

4. WordCrafter09 profile image74
    WordCrafter09posted 2 years ago

First, with regard to wars, things aren't as simple as just "being nicer in what we say".  So I'm not talking about wars. 

It's always better to use civil, reasoned, words in a reasonable and honest way.  The trouble is there is often (at least with some people) no such thing as just minding your business, doing your thing, and not being overtly or covertly verbally assaulted by someone who wants/needs to think of less of you - not because of who/what you are, but because of who/what they imagine you to be at any given time.

You can politely listen and overlook because maybe you think someone just doesn't know any better.  You may start to wonder if, instead, that person is intentionally aiming to get to you in some way by keeping it up and keeping it up.

You can let this kind of thing go on in the interest of peace for long, long, stretches of time, mainly because you don't plan to make a big deal and big fight out of what is a small thing in the "scheme of life".  (After all, having someone make up something about what they act like they think you are, and then treat you accordingly; shouldn't matter in many instances.)

You can be reasonable and peaceful and respect differences (ya da ya da) for a very long time, all in the interest of not wanting to fight over something unimportant (like what someone else, for some reason, wants/needs you to think he thinks about you).

At some point, and under some circumstances, there may come a time when you reach a saturation and "blow" (and that's when that person will get the chance to say you're not as reasonable and nice as you've always pretended to be).  And, that's when it may become clear that all the polite and respectful words (again, in the interest of respecting differences and in keeping peace) didn't cut it; because a) that person isn't going to change the behavior of making up what you are and then treating you accordingly, and b) now, in their eyes, there's one more thing to less of you about (because you blew up over some small thing).

Being more careful with words by not being rude or aggressive is generally the best way to go.  People can disagree without fighting (or they should be able to).  There are times, though, when peaceful and polite words (even when they don't agree with someone else's thinking) are just a long precursor to an eventual blow up.

One can be peaceful, respectful and honest.  Not everyone is. Some are just aggressive.

...yes not going out of one's way to recklessly incite hate and division. I mean when we have a personal upset that is valid-ok..but just saying there are some people that just get a kick out of seeing people fight one another. That's reckless to me.

5. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

NO. Political correctness attempts this. As if censoring word choices that are deemed racism actually stop racism, or censoring words that are seen as sexist stop sexism.
    That doesn't happen - and the active censorship of daily language and shouting down of people who express sensible but contrary beliefs as sexist and racist has led to the silent majority voting for Donald Trump. Because he speaks for many who were silenced by this micro-managing of daily language and those who hate the endless busybodies who thought it OK to monitor and censor everything.

Yes..no one wants or needs to be micromanaged. You make some good points...

2. Ericdierker profile image52

Really a good point and example.

3. profile image57

Let's ALL run wild then!
      Spoken like a true "Christian" Eric!  We all need laws!

4. Ericdierker profile image52

Someone once suggested that there are two great commandments. Actual applicable laws to guide us through life. I often pray for those who have trouble expressing themselves and so make errors in speech. They are not heard and should be.

5. threekeys profile image74

Hi Eirk. I'm a little curious about those two Laws you mentioned. Can I ask you what these two Man made laws or Universal laws are?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)