Church members

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)
  1. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 14 years ago

Anyone who is or has been a member of a church - what does it entail? How is being a member different from just attending? Does it mean you agree to do something specific? I asked a pastor once but don't recall the answer, it doesn't seem he really had one.

1. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Becoming a member shows your commitment to the body of Christ. It also, as was stated earlier, gives you the priviledge of ministering.

A tree with no roots cannot grow. I have known of several who moved from one church body to another. These are like chaff in the wind. It is like they have no place to call home. Everyone needs a home church.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are specific requirements and options for people who join Catholic Churches and some other churches....

Myself, I've only been a member of two Churches, a Baptist one and a "Christian" one....

The only requirements there were that one was saved (believed in and accepted Christ) and agreed to edify the other Church members Spiritually and literally.

Although there was some pressure in the latter one to tithe, as well as quite a lot of pressure to take every word of the leadership as Gospel, when in fact it wasn't always....

2. profile image0
    JeanMeriamposted 14 years ago

Never actually been a member, but it means you get to vote for committees, where money will be spent etc. It makes you an official citizen of heaven with voting privileges and your name on a mail slot. :-)

3. TLMinut profile image60

Ahh, thank you. Basically then, it's being involved in the running of things. I'm better at being a worker bee.

4. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Honestly, it really depends on the church.  Some churches require membership for anyone who is going to be part of any ministry, as a way of screening who is affiliated with them, other churches have a membership, only because some say they want to be a member. 

I would find out exactly what it means for the particular church you are considering.  If the pastor seems unclear, then ask a deacon or an elder.  They have often been pat of the church longer then the pastor has and know the ins and outs of how the church functions.

5. TLMinut profile image60

I'm not considering being a member anywhere, it's just curiosity from hearing it mentioned in churches before. I know Jews have bar/bat mitzvahs for their 13 yr olds, Mormons baptize theirs at 8, don't know if this really means the children become members of that particular group or the religion overall.

I thought membership might be a way to gather a pool of willing workers instead of just having attendees with no real commitment. Since so many people volunteer to help without being a member though, I realized that's probably wrong.

6. elayne001 profile image78
    elayne001posted 14 years ago

Aloha! I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, otherwise known as the Mormon Church. To be a member, you need to be baptized by immersion by one who has authority (Worthy Priesthood holder). At the age of accountability (eight years old) you are baptized unless you are a convert which can be at any age eight and over. Membership in the church means taking upon you the name of Jesus Christ, being a good representative in word and deed, accepting callings in the church (no Mormons are paid to serve including bishops, prophets, etc.) You are expected to pay 10 per cent of your gross income for tithing which is used to build chapels, temples and other needs. You are also expected to give a fast offering to help those in need (in or out of the church)each month after having fasted for two meals. You are also expected to keep the Word of Wisdom which includes abstaining from tobacco, liquor, drugs, etc. You accept the Book of Mormon as another testament of Jesus Christ in addition to the Bible as far as it is translated correctly. There are many more, but these are some of the main ones. Hope this helps in your understanding of being a member of our church.

7. 4x4 profile image61
    4x4posted 14 years ago

Depending on each specific church, but think of it this way. Let a particular church be a home.

Being attendees can be likened to being visitors in a particular home, they can come in when somebody is there to welcome them, they can eat a meal or two they can watch tv, listen to music, go to the restroom and so forth, they can probably even stay a night or a weekend or even a few days, but then they have to go. They are just that transients or guests.

Being a member is like being a member of the family, the son, the daughter, the dog, the mom, the dad, etc.

Each have their own position in their house & have their own duties & responsibilities & of course there is a more solid bond.

8. TheLoanConsultant profile image60
    TheLoanConsultantposted 14 years ago

Each church is different. Being a member basically consists of regular attendance and supporting it with your prayers and tithes. Depending on your church of choice, some of them like to micromanage your life. I have observed how for many people this micromanagement is very necessary. I mean they came to the church all confused and in need of guidance. And after some discipline and instuction they went on to become fine individuals. But on the flip side of the coin, not every needs this kind of treatment. I prefer churches where people are not all in my business and I can just go to hear The Word and then go my way. You should pray about it. Give these churches a test drive to see where is it that God speaks to you most and where you have a personal connection with someone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)