Glossolalia

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Beelzedad profile image59
    Beelzedadposted 14 years ago

Speaking in tongues does not have evidence to support that any schizophrenia is involved, but it has two unique distinctions that would qualify it as most likely not having divine influence.  smile

"The speaker uses accent, rhythm, intonation and pauses to break up the speech into distinct units. Each unit is itself made up of syllables, the syllables being formed from consonants and vowels taken from a language known to the speaker.

That the sounds are taken from the set of sounds already known to the speaker is confirmed by others: Felicitas Goodman found that the speech of glossolalists reflected the patterns of speech of the speaker's native language."

"Glossolalia can be easily learned through direct instruction, along with demonstrations that tongue speakers can initiate and terminate glossolalia upon request and can exhibit glossolalia in the absence of any indexes of trance support the hypothesis that glossolalia utterances are goal-directed actions rather than involuntary happenings."

1. profile image0
      crmhaskeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know what exactly this proves, but it is interesting nonetheless.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
        Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It may not prove anything, but it does show that there is no common "divine" language and that those who speak in tongues use their own language and inflections, and since it can easily be learned, we can probably conclude it is faked. smile

2. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 14 years ago

I've actually heard people do this "speaking in tongues". The fact that it can be done on demand, interr...never mind, what is the POINT of it?! Babbling nonsense syllables? I know it speaks in the bible in two places about speaking in tongues but one sounded like people being able to speak a language they hadn't learned for the benefit of foreigners in the crowd.

The only study I read about it was one where the results showed the brain did not light up in the expected areas for language and such, as if something else was controlling the action. I haven't heard of any further study or replication of it though.

Why would anyone have considered schizophrenia? That's not like any schizo symptoms, is it?

1. profile image0
      crmhaskeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Would you happen to know where I could find this study?  My research is in consciousness and the contribution to it by language, and so this sounds like quite the interesting study.

Not explicitly; however, those unfamiliar with the disease might assume it as an extension of the tendency for those with auditory hallucinations to respond to the "people" they believe are talking them (ie. it looks like they are talking to themselves, and often in quite broken and anxious speech)

1. Pandoras Box profile image60
        Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

CRM, that sounds very interesting. I'd love to read anything you got on it.

I've been thinking about this ever since Marine started his consciousness threads. Consciousness in 'lower' life forms doesn't come near to our's because of our languages. You cannot successfully dwell a whole lot on much of anything without words. Like.. like I can't meditate. I have a horrible time trying to shut off my mind. And yet, for lower species, without words, their consciousness is going to be very limited.

The more complex a species' language is, or becomes, the more sophisticated is their consciousness. I mean, that's obvious right?

2. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Brain studies show that there is a complete lack of control in the area of the brain when the subject is speaking in tongues.

Schizophrenia can be linked to belief systems, hence if it cannot be linked to Glossolalia, then it is most likely faked. smile

3. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

I think what real speaking in tongues would entail is spontaneously speaking in a *known* language, or understanding in a *known* language, without having prior knowledge or education.

Therein lies the rub. Why don't we have biblical stories, or even modern ones, where this has actually happened?

4. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

The ability to utter a language 'unknown' to the person is simply a demonstration -or support- that at one point there was one human language. All languages come from a variation of audible vibrations that every single human has. Thus, our ability to learn other languages.

there are two mentionable:

-the tongue of men (that is audible human)
    -the tongue of seraphs (that is non human, groaning of the spirit)

The latter must have been known to adam/eve in order for the dialogue to be understood. Therefore adam spoke a united language of seraph & human.

I am with crmhaske, the study of languages would be phenomenal journey.

5. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 14 years ago

Here's one reference:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/07/health/07brain.html
    That's an article that mentions it and you can click on the link in it. This is not the original article or study that I read but it sounds like the same one is being referred to. I'm not a subscriber to the site ScienceDirect so I can't give the whole study. I'll keep looking for the first one I found. It probably wasn't online, maybe in one of my science magazines.

6. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 14 years ago

A couple other points on glossolalia I'd like to add.

The brain study somebody mentioned. If I recall right, what they found was simply a letting go. What someone else mentioned about them not using the part of the brain used for language skills, so they suggest that the 'language' -glossolalia comes from somewhere else. Well the way you make it sound is possession. If you have the knowledge of the language, you'd access the language skills part of the brain. If you have no knowledge, do not access the language part of the brain and yet start speaking chinese (or any set language unknown by the speaker), then this is a clear case of possession. (Not that I believe such things.)

What about people just making it up. No evidence found of that either, the creative portions of the brain are not accessed, by the few people who were willing to undergo this study anyway, and in the study I refer to it was a very few individuals. 

So where does it come from?

The OP I believe it was mentioned the repetitive syllables drawn from one's own known language skills. No need to access that part of the brain, not trying to form real words or comprehend real words, just spouting off sounds. Just vocalizing.

What the OP didn't mention and I'd like to add to the discussion is that if you studied a group of 'tongue speakers' who all came from the same church and all started their glossolalia at that church, all members of that group would speak in tongues that all sounded similar. If you compared them with a group from a different church, taught under a different teacher, the two groups will very likely have distinct differences from each other.

Additionally, if you then expose these groups to a new and likable (for them) practitioner of glossolalia, at least some of the members of the two former groups will begin to incorporate into their glossolalia some of the sounds this new teacher exposed them to in his own glossolalia.

Did I say that clearly? Their "tongues" will change. They start with a limited grouping of sounds, which will be based on sounds they know from their own languages, and sounds they have heard others use while practicing glossolalia. If they hear someone new do it differently, their own glossolalia vocabulary will grow.

What all this indicates is that there is no specific language being spoken. No tongue of the angels, no original language before the tower of babel.

This leaves us with groanings of the spirit, which we may say might not have a specific set language. The people who practice tongues, and honestly so, are simply urged to let go and vocalize it.

Like a baby, somewhat, babbling. He has no set language, but he has heard sounds, which he imitates freely, producing a babbling discourse of repetitive syllables, infused if you will with the spirit (nonsupernatural spirit) of whatever mood the baby happened to be in at the moment -groanings of his spirit, if you like. 

At some point in our now waaaaaay distant past, we had an extremely limited language, based no doubt on the language of whatever beings we had most recently evolved from. But we could vocalize. We probably liked the sound of our own voices. We probably vocalized whenever we were able to let go and do so.

No doubt we experimented with sounds, and sat around babbling meaninglessly to each other, like children trying to pretend they are speaking spanish to each other.

So, I believe that is what it is. People who in their faith just let go and start babbling, because they believe they can, are told that they can, and think and maybe are told that they should. The languages part of the brain is not accessed because this isn't about language skills, these people aren't trying to actually say anything. Just letting go and vocalizing, infused with no doubt the tone of whatever mood they may currently be in, and again you have "groanings of the spirit", if you like.

Again, I refer to those people who honestly believe they are speaking in tongues. Of course there are always a bunch of people willing to totally fake it. Makes little difference in what is produced. Either way it's just meaningless babbling.

We cannot even pretend that it is a spiritual language, a wordless communication, since the speaker is supposed to be clueless.

7. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Well done folk! I have been sitting back taking this interesting conversation in. No need to comment other than to say I have enjoyed it so far. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)