jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)

Do our contemporaries actually speak in tongues?

1. Clive Donegal profile image78
    Clive Donegalposted 5 years ago

Do our contemporaries actually speak in tongues?

Last week's homily in our church was based on a Bible passage that refers to speaking in tongues. I know that some denominations claim to have followers who speak in tongues. What does that mean? Is it authentic or affected? What does it signify?

2. MsLofton profile image71
    MsLoftonposted 5 years ago

is it very authentic, speaking in tongues is a heavenly language that we use to communicate with our father. It is one that the devil, the enemy, satan whatever we want to call him does not understand. Now everyone does not have that gift, God equips us with different gifts for different reasons.

Clive Donegalposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks very much for answering, but it raises more questions: Is it an actual language? Does one person speaking in tongues understand another? Is it developed or natural? Why does it seem to occur only in certain sects or denominations?

MsLoftonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It is an actual language but not some people have the gifts of tongues w/O having the gift of translating them and some of the gift of translation. So some can translate what is being said. it is not developed, it is natural, it just flows. It doesn'

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have heard that people have spoken in the tongue of Hebrew who have never studied Hebrew.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

This is something I wonder about myself. Personally I am a skeptic with regard to this practice in our contemporary society. I wonder about the purpose since we have the written Word and God speaks to us directly through His Word and the Holy Spirit. I am interested to hear what Bible scholars have to say on this subject. I have heard ministers say both yea and nay.

Really? I have never heard a clergyman address the issue.

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60

Do you attend a Christian church?

3. Clive Donegal profile image78

I do. Regularly. I am a longtime usher and the children are altar servers. Note that my original question stemmed from a homily last weekend.

4. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60

I didn't go back and read the original question after my initial post. Over the years I have heard this subject addressed several times and I am not a frequent churchgoer. I have also read various experts ideas on the subject. I wonder what denominat

4. Attikos profile image80
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

The Biblical story of speaking in tongues is of the day of Pentecost, when people from numerous foreign places had gathered. The disciples of Christ spoke to the crowds, and everyone heard the speech in his own native tongue.

What today is called speaking in tongues is something entirely different. It is verbalization on a level psychologically deeper than language. One might call it a form of howling, of expressing thoughts and feelings vocally but unintelligibly. So far as I have seen, those who claim to be able to translate it into recognizable speech are projecting the meanings, not hearing them. I have no doubt the sounds made by the speaker have emotional meaning to him, and in some way they may be a sincere means of prayer, but they are not the speech of Pentecost.

Thank you. Your response, while more eloquent, reflects my own impression.

5. cherriquinn profile image77
    cherriquinnposted 5 years ago

Hi Clive. I actually agree with Attikos's explanation. I have stood next to many in services who use ' speaking in tongues' as a way of praising. Others have what they have claimed, interpreted these words. Although I don't doubt there have been many throughout history who have begun to use another language in praise without actually having studied it. However, I feel that the gift of tongues is an outward expression of ourselves when we have no other words left in our own language to praise and so we allow ourselves, and feel the freedom and trust around us to kind of 'babble'.I do not use this word through lack of respect, but rather I equate it with a baby starting to talk. They often have their own language to communicate as they're learning to talk, but the words all have meaning to them and of course their parents, almost like God, who understands what they mean.

That is certainly an interesting perspective, and I take your point. I think. The tongues are a verbalized manifestation of ecstacy of being taken by the Holy Spirit?

2. cherriquinn profile image77
      cherriquinnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes exactly, I suppose a state of ecstacy in Christ.

6. profile image54
    wayne92587posted 5 years ago

Guilefulness, Duplicity.

Yes, Speaking in tongues is real but speaking in tongues is not what you imagine it to be.

True, when someone speaks in Tongues and some one can not make sense out of what is said, then whatever is spoken of becomes just so much Babel, gibberish.

There are many Realities and many Origins of the same Reality, Absolute Reality being Universal in Way, Spirit, Nature,  the storehouse, our source of this knowledge of Absolute Reality, after the fact, being the Mind, the Individual Mind, the Mind of Many acting as the whole of a Single Storehouse of the Knowledge of an Absolute Reality, Universal Mind.

Those having a Universal Mind Speaking in Tongues; while those whose Knowledge of Reality is born of a Single Source (said knowledge having a dual quality, being duplicitous) are not able to understand those speaking in Tongues, those Speaking of Absolute Reality, Whose Knowledge of Reality is born of a Universal, many, Origins, the many Trees of the Garden.

Eating the Fruit of the Tree, a Single Source,of Knowledge, said Knowledge having a Dual Quality, being Duplicitous as it issues forth as we speak of said Knowledge having Dual Quality, the Knowledge of Good and Evil, has prevented Man from being able to Speak in Tongues.

7. Civil War Bob profile image61
    Civil War Bobposted 5 years ago

Attikos is on the mark in part..."tongues" at Pentecost were known languages that the Galilean Jews would not have studied, but spontaneously spoke.  I graduated from Westminster Seminary in Philly in '85, so most profs there indicate the gift of tongues ceased with the closing of the canon of Scripture because the phenomenon was primarily to validate the message of the folks of that day.
    Two interesting verses in 1Corinthians 14 are 39-40, "Therefore, my brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak in tongues. But all things must be done properly and in an orderly manner."
    "Prophesy" is not telling the future, that's spelled "prophecy" and is a noun, but is telling forth what's in Scripture...preaching/teaching/explaining...guess you could say I'm exercising the gift right now.  This whole passage is about corporate worship, so you have what I call the Pentecostal end of the worship spectrum with tongues and the Presbyterian end with doing things in an orderly manner."  (Two slight caricatures of these types of folks based on a smidge of reality.) This combination makes me think that speaking in tongues and interpreting them (without projecting thought by the interpreter) is still valid today, but not usually necessary nor properly observed.
    In my experience over 32 years in which I've read the whole Bible 23 times, I've only encountered folks in public who make noises with their mouth and tongue with no interpreter available; which attracts attention to the individual and turns other folks' minds from worshiping God...the primary problem Paul addressed in this passage on Corinthian worship services.
    Folks who praise God in an unknown (to them) language in private are within Scriptural bounds, if I'm reading the Book aright.
    Sound reasonable, Clive?...and anyone else, for that matter?

This is the first time I have found the need to go back and reread a string of comments. I find this discussion exciting and I even think that I am beginning to get a grasp of it.

MsLoftonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi Civil War Bob, I agree with you for the most part Corinthians and the book of Acts explain the gifts of tongues very well. Although I have been in settings where ppl's tongues were interpreted. I myself, speak in tongues but only in private.

working