Man plays God, creates 'artificial' life

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (53 posts)
  1. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 14 years ago

Scientists announced a bold step on Thursday in the enduring quest to create artificial life. They've produced a living cell powered by manmade DNA.

While such work can evoke images of Frankenstein-like scientific tinkering, it also is exciting hopes that it could eventually lead to new fuels, better ways to clean polluted water, faster vaccine production and more.

Is it really an artificial life form?

The inventors call it the world's first synthetic cell, although this initial step is more a re-creation of existing life - changing one simple type of bacterium into another - than a built-from-scratch kind.

But Maryland genome-mapping pioneer J. Craig Venter said his team's project paves the way for the ultimate, much harder goal: designing organisms that work differently from the way nature intended for a wide range of uses. Already he's working with ExxonMobil in hopes of turning algae into fuel.

"This is the first self-replicating species we've had on the planet whose parent is a computer," Venter told reporters.

what are fellow hubbers views on above news article?

1. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi friend pisean282311

The efforts of the Scientists are appreciated; if this could lead to finding solutions to the cure of diseases human beings are suffering. They have done it; with the knowledge they have acquired which have evolved in the human beings with the instruments and materials already evolved or in existence. This is not "creation" from annihilation; that is why it is called artificial or man-made with all the merits and demerits of human makings.
      If it is good for the humanity and serves them most; we thank the scientists  we also thank the Creator- God Allah YHWH for enabling human beings to do it.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

1. Pearldiver profile image68
        Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that you will find any reference to religious identities on the patent paperwork hmm

I doubt any of those parties can legitimately take or be apportioned any credit for this event hmm

1. profile image51

Nevermind

2. profile image58
        Butterman Jonesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ceartin things are better left alone. I for one have seen enough science fiction movies to know what this will lead to- a lone surviver battered and bruised with an empty clip for his pistol and a burning scientific reasearch facility behind him. and maybe a blonde woman on his arm ( the scientist of course)

pisean282311posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

1. Jerami profile image60
            Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would be concerned that after having its genetic structure unlocked and manipulated so-to-speak that it would not evolve into something different than it starts off being. Like some viruses do.

But we can have confidence in science to not make any mistakes with its first attempt...right? 
              Hope they have an antidote before it is turned loose??

2. profile image53
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Once again, religionists will scatter in panic mode to come up with some sort of biblical scripture to once again dig their cults out of yet another contradictory abyss.

1. profile image51

Hi friends

I applaud the Scientists who did this thing.

I don't think, it is in any way linked with the Skeptics that they pose it like it is their victory over others.As a Scientist has no specific gender; a Scientist could be a male or a female; similarly a Scientist is a Scientist could be a Theist more likely than a Skeptic.

What part did the Skeptics play in it?

It is a part of our evolution set by the Creator-God Allah YHWH who created the Universe and in it life as set by Him. Praise be to Him.

Thanks

1. profile image53

That is primarily the result of believing in gods.

That would be the way a believer would view such a thing, as some sort of victory over their Bronze Age myths and superstitions. It isn't. It is simply an understanding of the world around us, something that is void in the minds of believers.

No, scientists aren't more likely to be Theist.

Placing hands firmly over the eyes and ears and shouting, "LALALALALALALALA!"

3. True Truthseeker profile image73
      True Truthseekerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This in no way lend credence to atheism, it took INTELLIGENT input, to an already existing lifeform.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And what lifeform would that be?  My understanding is that a cell without any DNA was used as a building block and DNA that had been built in the lab was inserted.  A cell with no DNA cannot feed or reproduce - it is not alive, and certainly the chemicals and such used to construct the DNA strand were not alive.

2. profile image51

I agree and appreciate the efforts of the Scientists who were actively engaged in it; but I agree with you that it does not lend any credence to atheism; the reason accurately mentioned by you, Thanks

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
          Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Please use reason instead of blind faith in the Christian bible Usmanali.

2. Cagsil profile image71
          Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who said it had to give credence to Atheism. roll

2. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Fantastic evolutionary step.... Can I have mine with Wings? smile

3. Rishy Rich profile image70
    Rishy Richposted 14 years ago

Gr8 news...two thumbs up for those scientists who are involved in this project! smile

4. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I find this exciting. My biggest wonder is the effect it will have on our understanding of life in relation to religion and our origins.

@kirstenblog how do u think it would effect?

2. profile image51

Hi friend kirstenblog

What better you are excited for; it won't change any dimension?

Thanks

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Of course it will - it is another step to proving there is no Creator. I am sure you will fight and cause conflict to argue against it though. After all - your irrational belief is more important than anything else.

You have to rationale or reason to your statements.If you start using reason and rational thought instead of faith you will be able to comprehend - possibly. No compulsion, but perhaps - it will cause less conflicts?

If I spent  years studying eveything that you have done in your lifetime and learned how to imulate a few of those things that you have done... Would that prove that you didn't do those things after all?

There is no proof for or against a creator.
            There is proof that a story as told contains false information.

Parable # 148
             If I tell a story about gravity and I say that the apple fell streight up into the sky due to the earths gravity; and this is proven to be false, does that prove that gravity does not exist??

3. TMMason profile image60
      TMMasonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Probrably not much Kristn.

They have a long way to go before they create life and everything else, from nothing.

And again, it seems to me that two scientists in a lab creating life is the definition of, "intelligent design".

5. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 14 years ago

Has there ever been anything that at some point and time mankind hasn't tried to exploit for selfish gains?

Was the internet (in which you frequent) not an attempt to make a selfish business gain? hmm

Was the publisher of the book (from which you preach) not attempting to make a profit from selling it to you? hmm

6. SpanStar profile image61

It would seem you're making my point Pearldiver, there is nothing man won't exploit for profit.  So whatever good is developed we can expect some where down the lined someone going to alter it, change it just like we do illegal drugs today.

@spanstar well we cant stop inventing something just bcoz it might get exploited..we wuld still be in jungle if that wuld have been our thinking pattern..isn't it?...i agree with u that human's selfish motive would exploit anything ..but that is part of the game...

7. SpanStar profile image61

Pisean282311,

Man's technology is moving faster then man's maturity and if man is allowed to run wild then the damage he does can be earth shattering. A-Bomb, Nuclear Bomb.

If man had the ability to created humanbeings someone would want to create a race of superhumans and the rest of us would suffer because of this.

We can't be trusted with everything that comes along.

Good Point..... But don't worry smile
      You can tell them apart from us yikes
      They have 'E' on their profiles lol

8. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

It's a nice advancement, it's only a matter of time before it's used for corrupt practices. roll

Man playing God is played every damn time a man and woman have sexual intercourse.

Why science find a need to replicate this process in any manner is automatically ill-conceived. hmm

9. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

There is no such thing as "artificial" life.
    Life is whatever creature that can assimilate nutriments and reproduce.
    Be it created by Gods, Man or Devils.

10. alternate poet profile image66
    alternate poetposted 14 years ago

I sometimes think that God in creating man somewhat overestimated his ability.
    Oscar Wilde

1. mrpopo profile image72
      mrpopoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hah I love Mr. Wilde. Nice quote.

11. Jerami profile image60
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Mankind can manipulate the elements, and bake a cake but we can not create the elements to make Ice-cream

parable # 149

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Careful, Jerami - although alchemists tried and failed for centuries to change one element to another, we now know how to do that.  Fusion and/or fission reactions are a big, big start.

12. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

Now this is scary. Changing nature to suit mans purposes?
    Man has created nothing without the elements and tools already created. A brave step, but one that will be the end of human individuality as we know it...

13. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 14 years ago

Well if we wanted to feel gods wrath this is a step in the right direction!!!!!!!!

14. profile image49
    Tycameronposted 14 years ago

yeah

15. Jerami profile image60
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Have scientists ever done anything right the first time?
    I hope they keep this one in the Lab until they are sure of what will happen when it runs into unforeseen happenstance

1. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

excellent point!

2. profile image53

Yes. Religions have yet to demonstrate anything right, ever.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Um, science create better nutrition, safer food, vaccination and a number of otehr great blessings.  Yes, it often does go right the first time.  i for one would not orefer to live a pre-scientific era lifestyle with plagues and women routinely dying during childbirth.

i agree with the not wanting to be around before the awakening of science thing.  But they seldom got it right on their first attempt. I think.  I would skeard of them making something and goin out and dumping it in the ocean where they can't ever get it back.

2. Disappearinghead profile image60
        Disappearingheadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't forget science gave us the hovercraft too. smile

3. Jerami profile image60

In these cases I would say that science showed us a way to..
        how to preserve food, make us a little sick from something so we won't do it again; and fore sure the light bulb is a great one, and lets not forget the weedeater.

The biggie was the computer;  Kinda like the BIG BANG theory for science.  We haven't heard all of it yet and it's still ringing in our ears  BBAANNNGGgggg

16. profile image49

hey i like the pic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. profile image49

death is pretty some times

Actually I have known a couple of encounters that given that death was unavoidable, did turn into a spiritual experience.

I would have to elaberate that the death itself was not pretty but for a fleeting moment ???  Well it is imposible to describe and give it justice.

18. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

The only thing that will save mankind from destroying itself is a constant investment in peaceful science.

Are we playing God when we do these things? Heck no! We're being scientists, and scientists work to understand nature and imitate how it works. In so doing, we advance our species up the evolutionary ladder of knowledge.

There is no 'god' in a conversation like that. And if there were, remember how the south pacific islanders thought we were gods as we landed our airplanes on their islands during World War II.

Perhaps we will arrive at the end of the tunnel someday and discover that 'god' is nothing more than a being who has advanced way beyond our current means.

To me, this new discovery offers the hope that we as man might someday actually understand everything around us, and learn how to make it work for the benefit of all mankind.

19. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

http://elproyectomatriz.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/venter_genome_630px_2.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ni/GOD2.jpg

lol

1. Disappearinghead profile image60

Excuse me for being thick, but who's the beardy in the first picture?

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The guy scientist who made it possible.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60

Duh.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)