Supernatural and Paranormal

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (69 posts)
  1. Kimberly Bunch profile image59
    Kimberly Bunchposted 13 years ago

Supernatural and Paranormal~

What is the difference between the two?

1. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Supernatural is basically anything beyond nature.

The Paranormal is anything beyond the normal senses.

Neither has ever been shown to exist. They are but imaginary concepts.  smile

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And as soon as it is discovered and understood it is recatagorized into the realm of natural things. 

So the paranormal lives in the tomorrow.
           Once it is understood it is like tomorrow being recagorized,
        Tomorrow is yessterday?  Caint happen.

Anything that is that we do not understand as normal still  IS.

And again, Nobel Prizes wait for those who do discover it and the Nobel Prizes for other scientists would have to be taken away.

In other words, the violation of physicals laws would be common place.

Next thing you know, we'll all be flying around like birds, defying gravity at our whim. smile

1. mohitmisra profile image59
            mohitmisraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Please remove the Albert Einstein picture, he hates it it when an atheist proclaimed his views as similar.Do the great scientist justice please,what you are doing is not correct.

Some great intelligence has created and put all these physical laws together.

This is Einsteins belief.

Thank you for insulting me and Einstein all in the same post. smile

Why do you equate yourself with Einstein?
                Dont you even have your own individuality?
                If so how can you try and guide someone else?

In the view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognise, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what makes me really angry is that they quote me for support for such views-
                Albert Einstein

No, I don't equate myself to Einstein. But, I most certainly am offended by those who misquote him for their own agendas. For example, you quoted:

You conveniently and purposely left out this:

As you can plainly see, he is angry at those who believe he is religious and who perpetuate those lies. smile

In the view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognise, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what makes me really angry is that they quote me for support for such views-
                    Albert Einstein

Why insult the great man?

2. Kimberly Bunch profile image59
        Kimberly Bunchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Says who?

No one says. That's just the way the universe works.

What you are saying is diametrically opposed to how the universe works. smile

3. gregory hub profile image55
        gregory hubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can't prove either exists, but can you prove they don't?

I've had my own experiences that give me beliefs.

I can't prove unicorns exist either, just like I can't prove they don't exist. In other words, there isn't an argument here.

But, what I can do is show and explain why their very existence violates physical laws, just like I can show you why you can't flap your arms and fly like a bird or levitate off the ground at will.

That's nice. Do you also believe you can flap your arms and fly? smile

1. gregory hub profile image55
            gregory hubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, because my experiences with trying to fly ended in two broken legs.

My experiences with the paranormal are different.

However, in contrast to your "physical laws" statement, did you know what that the people of the world once thought that the Earth was flat?

Or that before the light bulb, it was considered witchcraft and heresy to say that such a thing was possible?

Just like people believe in the paranormal. Once they understand the world is not flat, they discard their irrational beliefs, just like the beliefs in the paranormal.

Now, it's just considered delusional to believe in such things like the paranormal. No more burning at the stake.  smile

2. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

Well paranormal is pretty much anything that is not normal. It is linked to ghosts, and things of that nature but it really is a blanket term for anything that is not normal activity.

Supernatural is an event or occurance that one might consider being caused in a supernatural way. Usually associated with miracles, or a higher power making things occur in a more than natural occurance.

This is just how I distinquish the two I'm sure there is somebody out there though, who will give a different answer.

Excellent! Thank you. The two words are so much alike that it is hard to say one isn't the other when it comes to some of the incredible ESP, sixth sense, and clairaudience abilities that happen. Along with clairvoyance, remote viewing etc.. Especially when there is proof in it for at least the few parties involved in the occurrence.

Proof that the physical laws of the universe are irrelevant? I would certainly like to see that proof. So would the Nobel Prize organization and the rest of entire world. Care to share it?  smile

1. Dave Barnett profile image57
          Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

seems to me we are still exploring the universe. Been here for a long time, and we just now started. The book isn't closed on physical law, in fact, recently, quantum physisists are exploring the possibility that some things may exist at a different frquency, or vibration, so that it is beyond our senses, such as certain audible wavelengths, or certain wavelengths of light. Then there is string and membrane theory, which opens the possibility of a countless number of variations of "our" universe. When discussing other dimensions, may I add here, that momentary passages, portals, or Wormholes could explain quite a bit that you hint is outside physical law. Next time, bring a bigger gun. I call mine "Big Bertha"

I'm not sure how all that speculation manages to support ghosts and goblins and everything else that people believe violates known laws.

Just look at the evidence!

That's the point, there isn't any evidence. Not a single person has ever shown these abilities.

LOL. You are silly and obviously don't know what you are talking about.

"Larry Dossey on Paranormal Research Into ESP and Clairvoyant Power....Psychic phenomena studies by reputable scientists confirm that paranormal powers exist widely among living beings. Dossey indicates that physical evidence and quantum physics research combine to validate the phenomena of second sight, telepathy, and other clairvoyant powers. Going even further, Dossey suggests that these psychic powers are not special gifts of the few, but are universal dynamics available to everyone."

http://psychic-abilities.suite101.com/a … emonitions

1. earnestshub profile image81
                    earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dossey is a liar and fundy from Waco Texas. (proof provided from his own mouth here)
                    Why don't you show some honesty or do your research.
                    Hardly a reliable source!

From the New York Times.

Dr. Dossey’s own relationship with religion is a complicated one. He had a fervent fundamentalist childhood in a farming community near Waco, Texas. As a teen-ager he played gospel piano in the one-room church, toured with a fiery revival preacher and planned to enter the ministry.

http://godkillzyou.wordpress.com/2009/0 … ignorance/

2. Beelzedad profile image59

Are you aware that literally everything from that webpage is a blatant lie? Is there some reason you believe these lies? Are you making income from being a medium?

A lie. Quantum field theory most definitely has NOT validated any such phenomena.

Where is this compelling evidence? None is cited.

There is NO science being conducted there, it is a faith based institution. No scientists actually work there.

There is a lengthy list of known physical laws that are violated. Again, another blatant lie.

"Einstein had never professed any kind of interest, let alone belief, in supernatural beings or extra-sensory powers. "Even if I saw a ghost," he once said, "I wouldn't believe it.

Curiously enough, when Einstein was asked, years later, about his beliefs in the telepathic experiments of Dr JB Rhine, then studying parapsychology at Duke University, he stressed his scepticism in strictly scientific terms. All of Rhine's experiments had reported that psi-forces did not decline with distance, unlike the four known forces of nature - gravity, electromagnetism, the strong force and the weak force. "This suggests to me a very strong indication that a non-recognised source of systematic errors may have been involved," Einstein wrote."

They contradict themselves by saying one thing and then another. Again, they are lying about quantum field theory.

Larry has been exposed by the science community as a fraud and a liar:

The Mythology of Larry Dossey

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=3423

2. mohitmisra profile image59

You have never seen telekinesis before,bending spoons etc

Have you ever heard of telepathy,twins have it a lot?

Have you heard of CHi or prana energy ancient Chinese and Indians have talked about for thousands of years ,its still defies science.
                  Science see it but doesnt have an explanation.

Facts of life.

Really? Facts of life? Science has no explanations?

There are dozens of videos showing how this little trick works, and yes, it is only a trick:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=spoon+ben … CCUQqwQwAA

2. mohitmisra profile image59

Known laws is the correct term. Science has yet to learn a lot and science admits this, why don't you.

1. luvpassion profile image62
                luvpassionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree consider this, I've heard from botonists  that some plants have been found to communicate with each other. If an insect or parasite attacks one plant, it can send out a signal that other plants of the same species  can pick up, and these other plants will muster defenses with the advantage of being forwarned.

The plants don't have "telepathy." The plant sending the message simply emits the right signaling molecules into the air, and the receiver plant has sensors for that molecule that trigger preemptive defenses. You may consider this a product of Evolution

The plants use communication through chemical means. But before the chemical communication was understood, such plant communication, if observed, may have assumed to use magical telepathic forces.

If there are forces we humans have not yet discovered, than it might just be possible that life is already using them, just because it stumbled on them and they endowed life that used them with a reproductive advantage. Isn't it possible that a force science will discover in the future is already in use by nature.

It's rather arrogant and closed minded to assume that everything in
                nature  can be explained by the physics we understand right now. Has science indeed explained everything "NO", more specifically, the belief that all physical forces are already known.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
                Clark's third law.

I write in my book (hub pages/ ms pages) about my experience with clairaudience and hearing sounds of trees. Years ago I was walking by a apple orchard in the evening and a sound came from the orchard that was carried on the wind. It was the sound of crying. At least that's what it sounded like. The only thing that was nearby was a cemetery. Which was across the street from the orchard. The sound was coming from the apple orchard. I thought it was strange but I dismissed it. the next day a lot of trees were cut down that hadn't produced fruit and other trees were thinned.

Another time years later I was walking on the blvd to catch a bus to college when the trees along side the road -- I heard that sound again. I telepathically said to the trees' don't worry. I'm just thinking back to that time about the apple orchard that isn't going to happen to you guys'. That was Friday. Come Monday morning all the trees were cut down to expand the blvd. I was devastated!!

I didn't understand when I heard clairaudiently the same sort of strange sound. So I spoke in my mind to the trees and claimed they were safe but they knew before hand their fate.

I never asked for this ability to see, hear and know things that others don't typically experience. But it happens and I have to live with it. Someday there will be plenty of evidence that is accepted and believed. Not enough people are walking around hearing such things or else this world would be a different place wouldn't it?

The native Indians' claimed that they use to talk to the trees and plants and ask them questions and the trees' and plants would respond.

How's that for a supernatural experience.
                  smile

This is no evidence at all, it is you jumping to conclusions.

You can't be serious.

Sorry, but your beliefs are just that, beliefs.

Extremely doubtful.

Claims are not the same as evidence, they are just claims.

3. kephrira profile image59
    kephriraposted 13 years ago

I think Supernatural has religious connotations, requiring something above the natural world, whereas paranormal implies an influence which is still part of the natural order of things, but is beyond the normal types of cause.

Interesting... I like the way you put that. It leaves much intrigue to the imagination.

Thank you!

big_smile

I also like your description kephrira.smile

2. Dave Barnett profile image57
      Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Supernatural is synonimous with paranormal. Super natural is a more archaic term which would cover all that we call paranormal. Paranormal activity like ghosts and poltergeists are also considered supernatural. Can be defined thus: Paranormal is that which lies outside the realm of what is considered this plane. SAME SAME

True I believe they cross over  .

3. Kimberly Bunch profile image59

If someone has clairaudient abilities to hear things that others cannot pick up without instruments is that paranormal or supernatural?

Is remote viewing paranormal or supernatural if someone claims to have gone to mars by remote viewing and described what was there before Nasa found out...would that be either or? ...Which one?

If I see an angel is that paranormal or supernatural?

Telepathic communication what is that classified as, paranormal or supernatural?

The list goes on....

4. mythbuster profile image72
    mythbusterposted 13 years ago

I think both terms are often used in place of the other, in general, however, Supernatural often has religios connotations and paranormal is a word that only goes back to around 1910 or 1915.

It's possible that the term paranormal came about from people who were trying to apply some scientific methodology toward detecting unexplained phenomena...

Also, I think with "supernatural" the term is used more generally (perhaps related to religious events and phenomena where "scientific" terms are unlikely to be discussed and scientific methodology not expected to be turned to the source of the unexplained phenomena) - while many paranormal events are called such because they appear to be distinctly DIFFERENT or contrary to empirical, known, scientific data related to SIMILAR or known events.

Something like that... kind of confusing - perhaps someone else will tidy this comment up or be able to rephrase and say it better.

I'll just try one more time then get the heck outta this thread lol

Supernatural ie: a church official is laid to rest and the same evening, in the cemetery, someone driving by sees what he/she thinks is a ghost... the person might never ask or ponder over a scientific explanation, saying, "It was the Father's spirit lingering before going to meet God."

Paranormal phenomena ie: same Father, same cemetery - someone more "paranormal-minded" might say of the same situation, "It was the change in temperature which created fog that appeared to look like the Father's ghost"...but upon further examination, the paranormal buff finds that there really was no temperature change, no apparent fog reported anywhere nearby, no humidity issues, no lighting issues, no comet, meteor in the sky, the person who viewed the phenomena wasn't that close to the Father, so it wasn't grief or psychological issues with the spectator - nothing to explain the sighting, according to known data etc... the final statement ends up being "paranormal phenomenon" because even "the usual known weather issues" that often cause mistaken ghost sightings will not explain this situation either...

Getting almost as clear as mud? lol

5. Beelzedad profile image59
    Beelzedadposted 13 years ago

BTW, I read the history of that face in the window and apparently it has nothing to do with the alleged story that goes along with it. Seems it's just a tourist trap after all.  smile

Some people say the story isn't true...but there's more then one story concerning the courthouse...there are no written facts for either. Some say Well's said "If you hang me..."  Some say he said "If you kill me..."

wink

Apparently, neither one of those guys had anything to do with the face. smile

lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)