Freedom of Religion vs Freedom of Worship

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (33 posts)
  1. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 13 years ago

Of the  many other slippery slope societal changes that have gone on without much notice...here is another one to look out for.

without vision, the people perish...regardless of your spiritual/religious views, this is important

http://catholic.org/national/national_s … amp;page=1

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Scaremongering at its very best. I think your interpretation of "important" is a tad different to the rest of the world.

What are these other slippery slope societal changes you harken back to? Slavery? The good old days of illegal back street abortions?

Watch out !!! Behind you!!!! He dun used a diffrent wurd!!!!

lol

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, did you read the new laws of the Vatican?  Well apparently, they changed their laws so that they can 'punish' pedophiles however, they wont change their laws on women priest and celibacy because according to them, (not joking either) that is worse than a pedophile.

According to their ethics - it is. No morals. None. Disgusting. sad

2. Jeff Berndt profile image72
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would have thought that this would be cause for celebration: a president is supporting not only freedom of religion (the freedom to believe as you choose to believe) but the freedom of worship (the freedom to pray, praise the deity of your choice, wear clothing or jewelry required by your particular faith, etc.)

Religion is, or can be, an entirely mental thing: you believe inside your own head, and nobody can stop you. Worship, however, is something you do, and it includes all of those things that the article (for some reason) said that it doesn't include. I mean, really, what is a Jew doing when he wears a yarmulke? Making a fashion statement? No: he's worshiping YWH (or however you want to spell it with Roman characters) in a particular way.

I think the folks behind this article are just looking for a way to make it seem like we poor oppressed Christians are being oppressed by an evil secular regime when in fact is that right now, in the US, (white) Christians are about the least persecuted group in the history of history.

2. SparklingJewel profile image66

Hey Mark,

Still haunting the religion forum I see!

Yes, it is all in how one reads it.

The whole of civilization has been one big slippery slope, don't ya think?

Yes, it was incorrect to imply that the slippery slopes of religions run by governments have somehow just started...it's been going on for a long time...the warning has been valid throughout history.

Hey, I'm going to be a grandma for the third time soon smile...are you a grandparent yet? am I remembering correctly that you do have children??

Good for you. Glad to hear your kids didn't get anything shot off making money for the oil industry.

Not one myself yet no. Not understanding your attack on societal changes - please explain.

SparklingJewelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

none of my kids are into oil...we hail farther north, from the cornfields and hills of Kansas smile

not an attack on society per se...just a comment on the article and the use of words that has always been the divider of nations and people

slippery slope kinds of changes begin in people's heads and take action from there...when actions come from the heart they are more in alignment with the Universal Order

use of words can help define the difference in actions, though not always  smile

My mistake - I thought several of your kids were fighting in Iraq. wink

Still do not understand the "slippery slope societal changes that have gone on without much notice" you claim this article addressed.

Universal Order?

yea, a son-in-law was flying helicopters in Iraq for a year...but that ended in June of 09. He came home with all parts intact smile
            but it is my other daughter having her first child that I am talking about now.

Universal Order...you know, God's Creation and the order from  which all energy into matter flows...has it been that long since we communicated with each other that you don't recall what I mean by Universal Order

or that I tend to rarely be understood when I speak about something smile

Not really my issue if you choose to be so dishonest in your statements. wink

I Usually understand what you are pretending not to say. Yes.

3. SparklingJewel profile image66

Hey Sandra !!! how's it goin'?

long time no communicate...smile

how are things in California...right?

how's your daughter...growing fast, no doubt!

4. SparklingJewel profile image66

slippery slope societal changes...like...when everyone in America had some common ground about the spiritual meaning of God in understanding what the Constitution meant...

Slavery, killing Indians, Indentured servitude, Central bank - OK - get it. Thanks. lol

Dishonesty is why people despise the religion you are lying about not pushing SJ. Disgusting really. God sed wot the Konstitution woz? lol

Dear me. sad Glad your kid got back from killing people for the oil company with his bits intact. wink

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't forget: women couldn't vote and neither could Blacks, women were only housewives

She is a good argument for that actually. lol

oh mark, why do you need to always start a nasty banter with name labeling and enuendo

I was a product of the sexual freedoms of the 60s, a mother at 14 married with two children and divorced before I was 18 and slept with over 25 men and had two more children as a single parent, before going celibate at age 32...

I am not a good Christian housewife pushing Jesus smile your version of the stereotypical good wife...I never have been, never will be...that is funny! so, sorry, that label I am not a good argument for smile

5. SparklingJewel profile image66

people always point out the negatives, when i am trying to point out the positives on the common ground of what was meant by the use of invoking the Creator in the Constitution...

yes, by some of today's standards, how humanity in the 1700's interpreted the Creator's Universal Order, women rights, slavery, etc, were not evolved...

but I'm talking about the basic foundations of life and liberty...the rights of freedoms that are inherently ours as part of the Creation...not how humanity chooses to interpret them and treat each other

back to the article...words can show the difference in interpretation, whether is from the heart or from the head...all contingent on one's interpretation of the words...

end note...

6. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I am all for people following "the golden rule". To treat others as you expect to be treated, and I usually succeed.

But to me that is also giving people the freedom to live their lives the way they want whether or not it agrees with your religion. To me that is what life and liberty and the pursuit of happiness is all about.

7. SparklingJewel profile image66

..since you all can't seem to stay on topic, I hope you have a nice day playing with your own issues that you try to pin on others...

Vondir

lolololo

ciao

Just remember when we all agreed wot god sed the Konstitution woz.

Slavery. Indentured Servitude. Egalite........

8. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Hi friends

I think both are the same.

Thanks

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It woz the sky fairy wot dunnitall! lol

1. getitrite profile image72
        getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

A religious poem for you, freshly baked then recycled.

A fairy stands above the world, who made the universe.
          It knows the cyst that's on my bum, the money in my purse
          It sees the children's suffering but doesn't lift a hand
          too busy finding car keys for the zealous in it's band.

1. getitrite profile image72

Good!

smile
              I got another one!

May god and his son bless us all
              and save us all from satan.
              But only if we had the urge to read the book of hatin.
              Homosexuals, hetorics, those dirty unbelievers
              will go to hell to burn in fire, those blasphemous deceivers!
              While all of us who read the book, will go straight up to heaven, we're better than the rest of you, multiplied by seven.
              You horrid little atheists,
              who still believe in science
              who don't bow down and understand the good behind compliance
              may all your kids get hoopin cough, a pox upon your town,
              may your chooks turn in to emus and kick your dunny down! 

Written with love of course!

1. Jeff Berndt profile image72
                Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Earn, you're gonna gave to help me out a bit: I don't speak fluent Strine.

I know a dunny is a toilet, but what's a chook?

A mature chicken is a chook here, sorry about the strine! smile

2. getitrite profile image72

lol lol

9. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Hi Sparkling, you know, just when you think that Obama can't get any more of a communist in public, he does something that let's you know that you gotta catch-up. smile

I'm hoping that it just stays with his term.  If this is something that spreads, it'll be a fundamental change.  Perhaps as his spokesperson said, it is his way of phrasing things in a politically correct way for the benefit of muslims but why does it have to come at the expense of religions in general? He's just creepy.

10. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Hi friends

I think freedom of religion and freedom of worship is one and the same thing. Quran/Islam/Muhammad allow it for everybody.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

11. Alaster profile image59
    Alasterposted 13 years ago

In America it's not really freedom of religion, even though it's supposed to be, it's freedom from religion. Which is why Santa can't be in front of Walmart anymore.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)