You didnt exist b4 ur birth...did it matter?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Rishy Rich profile image71
    Rishy Richposted 13 years ago

I knw its hard to imagine that one day you wont exist anymore. May be it wont matter to the rest of the creation but obviously it matters to you. Thats why one way(afterlife in heaven) or the other(incarnation) you tend to believe that you will live forever... 

But why your existence is so important? Why do you need to exist for eternity? You didnt exist before your birth (applies to abrahamic religious followers) & IT DIDNT MATTER!!! Then why must u exist after your death? May be it wont matter either!

In the birth life continuum, it may look like this:

1)Before life-------2)Birth --------3)Death-------4)After life

You didnt have (1) then whats the guarantee or necessity that you will be given (4).

If you are a believer in reincarnation, then I must say you dont remember (1), then why care for (4) which u r not going to feel or remember either!

1. Shadesbreath profile image76
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because the alternative sucks.

Rishy Richposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Truth hurts!

2. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I disagree. lol

@Rishy Rich,

Yes, truth hurts. That is why acceptance of truth is the hardest part of living life. People rather live their life believing a lie than simply accepting that their life is truly limited to a specific duration.

If more people finally learned acceptance, then life would have more value and the time they spent living would be better spent making their life better. hmm

I agree. hmm

Just like Buddha said, "We need to understand the positive aspects of non-existence first"...may be only then we can understand the true meaning of living!

1. Cagsil profile image70

The only positive aspect of non-existence is that we are no longer a burden to others in any manner. Understanding living is all about learning to love ourselves, so we can love others. The compassion that we have for those who do not know any better is what gives meaning and purpose to our life. So, with that said, the duration we each have should be spent in the service to others, to build on the meaning and purpose we have for our life while we live. wink

Love can be selfish sometimes! Given the current human form, love cannot be distributed to everyone equally. A selfish love again might look for an eternal duration. On the other hand, our emotions are impermanent...Just like everything else. In past few thousands years, our understanding of love, relationships & emotion has changed & evolved significantly...& it will continue to change & evolve in the coming years. Thus, before emphasizing so much on love, it would be necessary for you to settle on the current & future nature of 'Love' in the first hand.

1. Cagsil profile image70

Interesting you say that. But, I'll agree to disagree and leave it at that. wink

Wish u good luck with that wink

1. luvpassion profile image62
                    luvpassionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well Cags explination is certainly dreary, What with the burden on others and everything roll

I think  life is too short to finish learning and experiencing everything there is and so we go on to learn more then is possible in a mortal life.

smile

2. Pcunix profile image92
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

One way or the other?  I don't believe in either.

Good for you!

3. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Rishy, You post the hardest questions!  Certainly ones that are very thought provoking!!  Stop  lol

I truly believe now in time, rather than many years, that my existence is not important, I suppose the hardest part of this is the loneliness and a true sense or knowledge of not having a purpose or being needed.  I want to think we come back so badly.  I have no ideas of a Heaven and want my ashes scattered wherever, this too unimportant!

I know no family or friends today and for a long time, by choice, not looking for sympathy here.  Simply tired of such an enormous amount of work to keep up a social circle, aside from the many meanings I should just have post that my existence or terminating that existence, does not matter whatsoever.

Selfishly, with that also eliminates obvious responsibilities

enough, thanks, out.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

I will take it as a compliment & eventually I will stop one day...Just like everyone else hmm

Thanks for sharing ur view honey. You are too cool.

4. profile image0
      crmhaskeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have absolutely no interest in living forever in any of its many variations.  I also find that the reincarnation thing is grossly misunderstand.  It's about a recycling of "immature conscious energy."  No individual being's essence is preserved as a whole, and as such, there are no memories to be had.  People get way too attached to this "I" and "me" thing.

There is no before life.
      There is no after life.
      There is just life.

In a non-linear time line beginnings and endings are irrelevant.

I am quite looking forward to oblivion.  If I die and wake up somewhere else, I'm going to be really disappointed lol.

Dont get me wrong but you are saying this as if u already regret being alive hmm

2. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Hypothesis Alert : If knowing 1) becomes possible, time travel is possible.

This reminds me of movie : Shutter Island.

3. Jim Hunter profile image61
    Jim Hunterposted 13 years ago

"You didnt exist b4 ur birth...did it matter?"

So that one day before my birth when my mother was miserably pregnant I didn't really exist at all?

Good point. I need to add the pregnancy period from next time wink

1. Jim Hunter profile image61
        Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Glad I could help.

4. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

IDK...

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Misha does that mean I don't know?

ps- did you get my comment to you on you tube?
      It was so fun seeing you in real life!

I loved it and your accent is fantastic
      I shall drive safer now-nice job!

1. Misha profile image64
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah Kim, it means exactly this smile

And I don't think I received your comment on youtube, I just went and checked - and thank you for your praise smile

5. humagaia profile image59
    humagaiaposted 13 years ago

I cannot remember anything before my conception. Memories are selective from then until now. On the whole my existence has had very little impact and that impact has been on very few people. We consider ourselves to be significant when in fact we are insignificant. Considering that we might be important enough to continue an existence after death is just being arrogant. We are conceived, we are born, we live a life of indeterminate length, and then we die. We may pass on our imperfect genes to fulfil their destiny but beyond that our existence terminates. It would perhaps be nice to know that what we had learned during our period aboard the good ship earth would not be lost forever but I am afraid that so few of us add to the total knowledge of the human race that this too need not be dwelt upon. Sad as it might seem death is the end of it. Just get over it and get on with what little time you have left. Ponder too long on the meaning of life or death and the latter will catch up with you before you have enjoyed the former.

6. profile image0
    cosetteposted 13 years ago

anyone who considers children a burden, financial or otherwise, shouldn't have them. and parents are only a 'burden' to their children if they don't plan ahead. responsibility doesn't equal burden.

i intend to take care of myself well into old age. even then, i didn't have my son so i would have someone to take care of me someday, although he would want to, as he loves his parents very much, but neither of us would do that to him.

and you don't learn compassion by being burdended. you either are or you aren't compassionate. how on God's Green Earth is it being judgmental to say that people who consider their loved ones a burden are wrong?

roll

to answer the OP, i think we exist before we are born, up there in the stars somewhere. not in a corporeal sense necessarily...we are born into this life and then we pass into another life when we 'die' so our essence must exist somewhere in some manner so yes it matters to some degree.

Thanks for ur point of view cosette. But again, u dont remember ur experiences before birth & definitely it doesnt mean anything to u. Then why care wats going to happen after death. May be u r not going to remember or feel anything then either!

7. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

It is time humanity got over its unbelievable arrogance -  we are animals no more or less than any other, the only difference is that we are aware that we exist, although some other animals also seem to have some recognition of self.   Because we are aware of ourselves does not make that awareness a thing that can live on after the body is dead, the body is aware of itself and so the awareness goes with the rest.  Naturally we have a drive to live and protect ourselves and all our actions start with these drivers in our heads, just because we naturally have this primary driver AND we are aware of our self leads to these childrens stories.  FFSake grow up !

I appreciate what u said here & I agree with this. Thanks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)