jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)

Taboo Topics

1. profile image0
    Baileybearposted 6 years ago

What topics are taboo?  Does it depend on culture/beliefs etc? 

I posted a question about birth defects, and some said they found it offensive to dare ask a question (and said I must be messed up).  It is a topic that people may not feel comfortable with, but why is it taboo? 

Why are certain topics taboo?  Fear?  Extreme opinions?  It's easier just to sweep things under the carpet?  Like mental illness was taboo.

Are some topics taboo to some and not to others?

2. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 6 years ago

I believe that statement was made in a topic that was requesting that Hubbers be able to isolate the Religion and Politics topics away from our viewing. Many of us are sick and tired of coming here and being bombarded with one noxious title after another. I would also add the request to include the Family and Gender Category as well, because I'm tired of the constant harangue of sexually charged topics.

It's not that the topics are culturally taboo, many of us just aren't here for that and are tired of it. Even if we don't read the topics, the titles are irritating enough.

I'm only on the Forum now, making sure that none of these topics have strayed from their categories, because then they end up on my hubs. For example a few weeks ago, an explicit title about sex was placed in the wrong category and ended up on a children's clothing hub.

I visit the forum 3 times a day, just to make sure that these titles aren't placed in categories that end up on my hubs, other than that I want no part of the forums anymore.

1. SteveoMc profile image76
      SteveoMcposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Nellie, I just noticed the incredible number of followers you have, take note, 1111 is a very interesting number indeed.

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 6 years ago in reply to this

do these topics hit nerves, or are they just annoying?

1. profile image0
        Nelle Hoxieposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Actually in this context, they are a waste of my time and effort.

3. SteveoMc profile image76
    SteveoMcposted 6 years ago

I don't think that the subject is taboo, the question may have been poorly written, I don't know since I haven't seen the question.   

Sometimes questions strike me as weird or incredible, but the subject of birth defects can be a serious matter and needs open discussion.

1. profile image0

the question was in essence asking creationists a difficult question to see what answers they would come up with.  I have difficulty believing their doctrine that sickness, birth defects etc arise from sin (I am ex-christian and I have a scientific background).

1. profile image59
        exorterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I am a Christian, and birth defects has nothing to do with sin unless you are talking drugs and drinking while pregnant, because that is sin, but also all the chemicals men put into our foods, medicines we take, the side effects of meds. can do a lot to our bodies, God does not interfere with man and the destruction that man does to the world

1. profile image0

what about those that have a child die from horrific deformations and they never did drugs etc?  I would be most upset if I was blamed

1. profile image59
            exorterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

what about all the chemicals man is putting into the ground and livestock, the radiation in todays world

1. profile image0

yes, I think chemicals come back to bite us.  No supernatural beings involved

4. libby101a profile image61
    libby101aposted 6 years ago

I don't see why those topics would be taboo! To me, it seems, that it's happening in the world around us thus needs to be discussed!

Maybe it seems taboo to some, for whatever reason, so they should just pass by the topic! As for me, I think everything should be discussed!

working