jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Swearing on the bible.

1. seanorjohn profile image79
    seanorjohnposted 7 years ago

Have you ever sworn on the bible? I did on jury service. I also did when I was very young to my brother Joe.

2. Flightkeeper profile image74
    Flightkeeperposted 7 years ago

For my jury service I think I had to take an oath.

3. Paul Wingert profile image77
    Paul Wingertposted 7 years ago

I went to trial for my divorce last month and there was no Bible or any refernce to religion when I was sworn in. The way it should be.

1. Jerami profile image75
      Jeramiposted 7 years agoin reply to this

YEA  !!   but back 3000 years ago no one understood life the way that we do today.

Gotta make them know that there is a punishment if we lie on someone and they hang for it.    If we are lying there is punishment.

Just like the civil system does!!!   It they catch ya in a lie that is Perjury!!!!   Back 3000 years ago they didn't have any perjury, so they called it  sin.
         Sudden thought..
         We law abiding citizens,    every one are serving the governmental legislative systems  exactly the same way that people worshiped God 3000 years ago.

It is the same thing !!   Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent.      And they will be saved shortly.

4. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 7 years ago

Swearing on the bible.

I would have to say that it is completely meaningless, just by seeing all of the people who have lied under oath with their hand on a bible.

So, there should be no reason for a bible to be introduced into a court for any reason. Lies, if found out, are punishable by Law. That's enough. It's irrelevant otherwise.

I, personally, have not had to put my hand on a bible in any court, to swear to up hold truth through testimony.

However, I also have not had the opportunity to tell someone to stick the "bible" where the sun doesn't shine, with regards to court of Law.

So, with that said- I've nothing more to say on this subject. lol

5. Jerami profile image75
    Jeramiposted 7 years ago

However, I also have not had the opportunity to tell someone to stick the "bible" where the sun doesn't shine, with regards to court of Law.
    - - - - -

The imagionary spirit of the legeslative body is who we follow  in the modern day world.

1. Cagsil profile image61
      Cagsilposted 7 years agoin reply to this

roll

Just saying that we are now doing the same thing as swearing on the bible .... but that allegiance is NOW called obedience to the Civil authorities.  THE  LAW.

1. Castlepaloma profile image53
          Castlepalomaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Go see the movie   Inherit the Wind (1960)

It portrays, in partly fictionalized form, the famous and dramatic courtroom "Monkey Trial" battle (in the sultry summer of 1925 in Dayton, Tennessee) between two famous lawyers.

Best courtroom battle, I have ever seen

My memory isn't what it used to be.  I think that I might have seen that at the drive in.

Was Henry Fonda in that one?

1. Castlepaloma profile image53
              Castlepalomaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Directed by Stanley Kramer. Starring Spencer Tracy, Fredric March, Gene Kelly.

It really made me think.

I was very young when I saw it and lived in the bible belt.

I don't remember it well enough to remember if it affected me the same?  lol

It's midnight and I had a long day    Good night.
                tomorrow

working