Contradictions in the Bible?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (207 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Religulousposted 13 years ago

A graphical representation of the contradictions in the bible. Each red line links 2 contradicting statements.

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9770/graphicalrepresentation.png

1. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What sort of total garbage is this. you stare a position and then write nothing to back it up all you do is draw pictures?

1. profile image0
        Religulousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You fail to understand and it goes over your head and yet you call it garbage?

The bottom line are books of the bible, the graph like thing sticking below the line is how many chapters in each book. The lighter gray to the left is the old testament. The darker gray to the right is the new testament. The red lines arcs show a connection between that book and linking to two other books where there is a contradiction. Do you know what a contradiction is? Or do you call them paradoxes?

Now I've explained all that but given your straight-out-of-the-gate attack that its total garbage I doubt that any of what I've just explained will matter to you in the slightest.

1. vector7 profile image60
          vector7posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe what you should do is post something that people can 'read' and see the actual contradictions..

smile

1. towsen profile image57
            towsenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hello  friend  can  you  give  some  of  the  contradictions  in  the  bible  and  give  me  the  chapters  and  verses  and  explain  what  the  contradictions  are ,   and  I  will  look  it  up.    Thanks

2. Joy56 profile image68
          Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i am sorry you do not understand the bible, it can be so positive

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image61
            Jesus was a hippyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Understanding the bible is simple. All you have to do is read. It is not complicated to understand what the bible means when it says you should stone a rape victim to death if she doesnt scream out for help in a public place.

It is not difficult to understand a verse that tells you to kill those who try to lead you away from god.

Oh, and theres one of the contradictions. The bible tells you to kill, and it also tells you not to kill.

Lord of the rings can be positive.

what  chapter  and  verse  in  the  bible  that  tells  you  to  kill  those  who  try   to   lead  you  away  from  god  or  the  God  with  a  capital  G.

what  verses  in  the  bible  tell  you  to  kill  I  will  check  them  out.   Thank you.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image77
                DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Deuteronomy 13:5
                That prophet or dreamer must be put to death, because he preached rebellion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt and redeemed you from the land of slavery; he has tried to turn you from the way the LORD your God commanded you to follow. You must purge the evil from among you

Thank  you  for  the  verses it may look  like  a  contradiction but it  is not he was talking to Isreal at that time God had brought them out of  the land of Egypt, out of bondage if you would read at the beginning of that chapter Deuteronomy 13:1-5 it is plain God was against idol and false god worship he had warned the people against search worship.

He told  them if there  arise among  you a  prophet  or a  dreamer of  dreams and he gives a sign  or wonder that comes to  pass, but if that  prophet or dreamer says let us go after other gods( false gods) to turn  the Isrealites away from the one true God let him be  put to  death it was because of false god worship at  that time. God  was righeous not  evil  in his  commandment.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image77
                    DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You asked for the verse that said to kill those who tried to turn you from god...I just pointed one out. Rightous or not does not change the fact that god did say to kill those who attempt to turn you from god...If you want to say this was meant just for Isreal and no one else...Then you have to include the verse that says suffer not a sorceress to live. That was said to the Isrealites as well. But, is still used to this day to condemn those who practice pagan religions.

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image61
                Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

deuteronomy 13:9 is one. You can find them all by googling something like "bible commandments to kill" or something like that.

3. towsen profile image57

Thank you he was talking to  the Israelites at that time to  kill the Prophet or dreamer who try to  turn them away from  God.
                In Exodus 20:13 he said don't kill now if this prophet or  dreamer did not try to  turn the  people against God, he would have told them do  not kill them.

2. profile image0
            Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

rape, murder, slavery, cannibalism, incest....what a positive book!

1. Druid Dude profile image60
              Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Can't stand to look at the true face of mankind? Religious or not, these things would still be a fact. Get over it.

1. mrpopo profile image73
                mrpopoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think it's pretty clear Bailey wasn't disputing whether these atrocities are fact, historically or presently. She was simply questioning the positiveness of the book. I'd say it's warranted considering these things were actually encouraged by the Bible, often for absurd reasons.

2. chasemillis profile image71
              chasemillisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Bible is not a positive book except for that fact that we can have everlasting life if we trust in Jesus. The Christian life is not easy to live. It's not easy in a sinful world. This is something that I am sad that most Christians believe. The Bible is definately NOT a book to make you feel better about who you are, it is a guide for how we should live our lives.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
                Beelzedadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The point Bailybear was making was that the bible is not a guide for how we should live our lives due it condoning rape, murder, slavery, cannibalism, incest... etc. smile

1. chasemillis profile image71

I think it's funny that people insist on selecting single passages and making it mean whatever you want it to mean. If you are going to say that the Bible condones all of that, give your examples of it and I will give you the background story which will explain why you are so confused about the morality of Christianity. First of all, the Bible was written 2000 years ago. So obviously, the customs of the day were waaay different than they are today. For example, they had slaves!! I know, crazy thought, but they were actually a part of daily life. And seeing that the Bible was a guide, why should it not include something that pertains to daily life? I can tell you that, except for murder in special cases, the Bible does not condone any of those at all. And just to cancel this category out, I'm sure the "rape" you're talking about is whenever they conquer some place or gain control of a place, they were commanded to take the women to be their wives. I looked on some sites claiming that this was the "rape". But the last time I checked, having sex with your wife isn't rape. And if you think that taking them against their will, think about the status of women back then. And the fact that their were prearranged marriages before some people were born. Either way, the women didn't have much of a choice who they married. If you want to come up with "examples" of how the Bible condones those, go right ahead. But I'll be right here to explain to you how the Bible doesn't condone them.

And before you submit something, consider the context of everything that was written. Don't try to pick out the verses you like and change the meaning of the whole passage. That's not how it works. Until then, I'm going to keep believing the book that has no faults. smile smile

1. Woman Of Courage profile image61
                    Woman Of Courageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

chasemills, Well stated. big_smile

2. vector7 profile image60
                vector7posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Matthew 16:17

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar–jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Well said chasemills..

smile

3. Eaglekiwi profile image75
          Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A man made programme trying to decipher Gods wisdom.

I give you credit for trying.

Truly its more fun living it smile

2. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is time my friend ... when Believers learned to Correctly believe ...
      Not find fault with the others Belief and burn Copies of Koran.

3. Andrew0208 profile image56
      Andrew0208posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Truly, the supposedly contradictions in the Bible only exist amongst religionists and non believers...If inspired by the Holy Spirit and written by men, then it will require more than just mere reading and analysis but the understanding of God's Spirit also.

Where did you get this understanding of gods spirit and how does it explain the bible telling you to kill those who try to lead you away from god (gods commandments spoken to moses) while at the same time telling you not to kill?

These contradictions are noticed by anyone who can read and is not biased (like you are) into believing that these contradictions which are printed in black and white dont actually exist.

1. Andrew0208 profile image56

Is it not funny that many do not also understand when an upgrade was made. God has made same with the accomplished mission of Jesus Christ, does it not seemed also contradictory when Jesus Christ came with the message of love, compassion and power as to fulfill the known laws of Moses. And many were against Him. They prefered to wallow in their religion and hypocricy whom their hearts and motives were far from the God the claimed to know and worship.

God saw beyond their cloths and lips. Before then religionists, even the highly and religiously placed in God's kingdom on earth also misused it by witch haunting others in their gross hypocricy. This is exactly where religion stinks!

Dont you think it is funny that the new testament "upgrades" the old testament (jewish torah)which is full of violence and vengeance with love and peace, and then the koran comes along and updates them all with violence and vengeance again?

If you ask me, the koran is a more consistent update to the old testament then the new testament is.

Or maybe, the books are just written in the style of the author and not a never changing god.

What do you think?

Did god change his mind from being a vengeful dick, into being a peaceful love monkey and then back into a vengeful dick again?

Well, the ways of God are not the ways of man. The Gospel or the Scriptures are purely a Faith walk, fortunately it will be most meaningful to them that believe though self, science and religions of this world have quoted and referred to the Scriptures without even believing the Spirit behind the letters. Believing has always been a choice.

2. JMHeller profile image62
          JMHellerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Can you show me the exact scripture you are talking about? Can you put it in to context? Have you read the entire Bible cover to cover? Can you cross reference that scripture to other parts of the Bible?

1. JMHeller profile image62

I am asking "Jesus is a hippy."

Deuteronomy 13:9 But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.

The context for this verse is telling you what to do if anyone including members of your own family try to lead you away from your belief in god.

Exodus 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.

Both of these verses are direct COMMANDMENTS from god. They are not in the middle of a story where context detracts from the isolated verses meaning.

Why are theists always the first to scream CONTEXT CONTEXT!!! when they hear a verse that they dont like.

Do you ask for the context around the verses that you like the sound of? I bet you dont.

That verse is referring to a punishment for a crime.

It is the same in our country today. It is against the law to murder someone. If you do, you could face the death penalty.   

You did not answer the rest of my questions. Would you care to try again?

Understanding the context is total different from being critical about it. There are many places in the Scriptures I know people(non believers and other religions) draw supportive strength and encouragement from. Also being the book of books, it goes beyond the letters as anyone cannot seperate them from the Spirit behind the logos. Jesus said "the words I speak to you are life and spirit {John 6:63}.

The funniest part of it all is when after reading it, a few will tend to say that Jesus and the prophets never existed. In some previous related sticky threads, I made it clear that I wouldn't be surprise if some people chose not to believe that we ever had thisday discussions if presented to them in the next 200 - 300 years to come. Please can anyone tell us why the may not accept it as a reality?

It doesnt matter if its for a crime or not. Thou shallt not kill means exactly what it says. There are no proviso's as to when you can and cant kill.

"..... without sin cast the first stone"

So who does the killing then einstein? Aren't we all sinners?

This is the most blatant contradiction in the bible and you are bending over backwards to deny it because you know it is a fundamental flaw in your unfounded belief in a 2000 year old book that is totally inconsistent and makes no sense.

No actually it does matter. Whether you agree with the law or not is moot. Thou shall not kill, means you can not kill for the sake of killing. It does not mean it is a contradiction

You have a right to be free in your country right? If you commit a crime and they put you in jail, does that mean your country's laws contradict themselves?

That was a system of government and laws more than 2000 years ago. Things have obviously changed since then. Your argument seems to be based on emotion rather than fact.

Yes we are of course all sinners. Have you read the entire book cover to cover? If so, what does the Bible tell us about sinners and redemption?What comes after these laws in Deuteronomy?   How do the laws change over the course of the old testament to the new testament?

If you have not read the book cover to cover, I would not try to debate something you know very little about. I would not argue how to build a house with a contractor because I watched a show on the DIY network.

Of course you will not answer any of these questions. You will bring up the same scripture and the same tired argument.

"Thou shall not kill, means you can not kill for the sake of killing."

No it doesnt. It means thou shallt not kill. Stop making things up. The bible says NOTHING about any exceptions to that law. Show me the verse before or after that verse where it does.

And no, a countries laws are not a contradction when you are put in jail because there is no law saying you cant put people in jail. Jesus christ what on earth are you on about?

So you agree we are ALL sinners? So then NOONE can kill anyone for ANY reason because noone is without sin.

Go and read your book you might learn something about what you believe so blindly and defend so ignorantly.

3. Slarty O'Brian profile image78
                Slarty O'Brianposted 13 years agoin reply to this

God good to all, or just a few?
                So you think there are no contradictions? Let me give you a short list. See if you resolve them all for us.

Is god good to all?

PSA 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.

Is he the god of war or peace?

EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

Would the real father of Joseph please stand up?

MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

Who was at the Empty Tomb? Is it:

MAT 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

MAR 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

JOH 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

Is Jesus equal to or lesser than god?

JOH 10:30 I and my Father are one.

JOH 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

How many stalls and horsemen?

1KI 4:26 And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen.

2CH 9:25 And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen; whom he bestowed in the chariot cities, and with the king at Jerusalem.

Is it folly to be wise or not?

PRO 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

ECC 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

1CO 1:19: "For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent."

The sins of the father

ISA 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.

DEU 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

Fowl from waters or ground?

GEN 1:20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
                GEN 1:21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

GEN 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

How did Judas die again?

ACT 1:18: "Now this man (Judas) purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out."

MAT 27:5-7: "And he (Judas) cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself. And the chief priests...bought with them the potter's field."

What were Jesus' last words again?

MAT 27:46,50: "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, eli, lama sabachthani?" that is to say, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" ...Jesus, when he cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost."

LUK 23:46: "And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, "Father, unto thy hands I commend my spirit:" and having said thus, he gave up the ghost."

JOH 19:30: "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, "It is finished:" and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost."

Does god tempt people?

"And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham." (GEN 22:1)

"Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God; for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man." (JAS 1:13)

No contradictions? Give me a break. This is a very short list

4. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aha, we see proof here of all the contradictions of god and he also provided some pubic hair to use for linking up each of the contradictions, a thoughtful god at least....big_smile

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are human errors in some of the genealogical things; and much meaning is lost in the Hebrew and Greek to English translations, but other than that, allegory shouldn't be mistaken for literal history; and an understanding of the dispensations is a must.

1. Slarty O'Brian profile image78

Oh but we thought it was the word of god? And it isn't just a few mistakes. You can argue anything with scripture. Want slavery? There are passages for that. Want o abolish it? There are passages for that. Want o prove god is love? There are passages that say that. Want to prove he's a tyrant egomaniac? There are passages that prove that.

It wasn't written or inspired by god, it was written by a bunch of people who all had the idea of a god and wrote to that idea.  No god required.

6. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I came to this forum posting, expecting to find somethin logical and sensible posted, not this crap.

seriously...it's useless argueing against these people because they take single verses and come up with huge descriptions of what it is supposed to mean, without ever even thinking to read the verses surrounding it or the timeperiod that it was written in.

You are exactly right chasemills.

2. profile image0
        Religulousposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Last time it was garbage, this time it's crap, you wanna step up to the plate and produce an effective counter-argument that isn't so slim and lacking detail?

2. celeb_prankster profile image57
    celeb_pranksterposted 13 years ago

What?!

3. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

That looks about right to me. smile The bible is chocka with contradictions.

1. victor2322 profile image61
      victor2322posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Bible is not filled with contradictions. It was written over 2000 years ago over the course of 4000+ years by over 40 different authors, in more than 4 different languages, to a culture that we can NEVER hope to understand.

There are several websites that explain why people the Bible cpontradicts itself. It has to deal with the way people communicated with each other 2000+ years ago and every reason of why the Bible is NOT contradicted can be shown in secular types of history as well.

but we can argue about it all day and never convince each other if you would like.

If anyone is interested in these explanations I will be happy to share.

Thank God for you..

Any resources that are quick and easy, throw'em at me. I'd love more study material.

smile

2. Beelzedad profile image59
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You now contradict yourself. If the bible is something "we can NEVER hope to understand" why is it believers embrace it wholeheartedly as something they do understand, and then sit here and tell the rest of us their understanding of it?

More contradictions. So, people communicate with each through the medium of speech, how has that changed?

Secular types of history? What's that?

Then, by all means, go for it. We are waiting for your explanations. smile

The simplest source I have found for addressing contradictions in the Bible is here:

http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/bible.htm

One of the things that is interesting about the graphic above, is that there are significantly more lines than there are Scriptures or contradictions. You can see this if you look at the larger version on the website it originates from. The poster shows 439 contradictions but there are significantly more than 439 lines.

In fact if you can trace the arc of several passages to their referent you find there is nothing in common between the starting point and ending point. If you take a starting point, say Genesis and follow the terminus to a suggested contradiction as Revelation and then look to the chart below you find no correlation.

So essentially the chart is nonsense and is just eye candy to the enumerated objections.

Is this authentic scholarship? If you’re going to consistently criticize the Christian community for being both disingenuous and intellectually weak wouldn’t one expect to see a model of rigor in your presentations?

I can’t help to see this graphic as nothing more than a scandalous graft from another work into this one.

Here are some examples of the false contradictions in the graph:

#226. When did Jehoash become king of Israel?

2 Kings 13:1
          In the twenty-third year of Joash son of Ahaziah king of Judah, Jehoahaz son of Jehu became king of Israel in Samaria, and he reigned seventeen years.

2 Kings 13:1
          In the thirty-seventh year of Joash king of Judah, Jehoash son of Jehoahaz became king of Israel in Samaria, and he reigned sixteen years.

What’s the contradiction? The first passage talks about Jehoahaz; the second one talks of Jehoash, the SON of Jehoahaz. They’re two completely different people.

#186. Who Killed Goliath? 1Sam 17:49-51 =/=  2 Sam 21:19
          The latter verse says Elhanan killed the BROTHER of Goliath, not Goliath himself, so no contradiction.

#105. How did David kill Goliath? 1 Sam 17:49-50 =/=  1 Sam 17:51

The latter verse only says that after killing Goliath with the stone, David then ran up and stabbed him with his own sword, that is not really a true contradiction.

I obviously won't go through all of them, but you get my point. Very well done and is a good tool for Christians who really want to dig into their faith and understand the Bible from a perspective other than the perspective of a spoiled American in the year 2011, who has no concept of suffering or living without air conditioning and texting. I enjoyed studying the graph.

@Beelzedad- I never said we couldn't understand the Bible. I said the culture it was written to "we could never understand."

I will agree that "I" will most lkely never understand the Bible in it's entirety. But I don't think you need to fully understand something to accept it. Evolution is a good example of that.

Secular types of history would describe history that does not bear or claim a religious theme.

You mean the culture of superstition, ignorance and myths ruling everyone's worldview? Yes, that is easy to understand.

You should speak for yourself when making claims about not understanding something others do understand. But, at least you have admitted to wholeheartedly embracing that which you don't understand. That would a result of religious indoctrination.

Such as? smile

I was referring to a culture that is over 2000 years old, without air conditioning, labor laws, and was a very tough life compared to how we live.

I was speaking for myself.

You mean, like most third world countries?

Perhaps, some education of our history would help you deal with that which is unknown to you. smile

Yes, I had a look at that and found the very first explanation within Genesis to be an obvious contradiction. Of course, the authors completely ignored it or missed it entirely.

Did you count them all to be sure?

I'm glad you "believe" so.

Are you saying we should be surprised with your conclusion? smile

I didnt count them all. I tried and kept losing track at around 300. I can tell you though, that at 300, I wasnt even close to getting them all.

I don't expect you to be surprised with my conclusion, I just wanted people to know that I looked at the graph closely, and just didnt accept it, for what it appeared to be. There was more to the story.

It wasnt my goal to preach, convert, or condemn. I just wanted people to see what I saw. That's kind of what these forums are for. Sharing your perspective with other people.

You seem to be an inteligent person, Beezedad, as I have read your other posts on other forums. I have no ill will towards you and I don't care if you and I do not share beliefs. I can accept that you don't believe in God.

In addition, as a Christian, I'm NOT going to tell you that I care about you or that I will pray for you. I don't even know you and I think it is shallow and silly, when Christians say that to non-believers.

LIke I said above, the picture at the top of this thread is very well done and very impressive. It is a great tool that a Christian can use to make some good points with, and wrestle with scriptures with. I have no problem with it.

Have a good day,

Victor

In other words, it's just your opinion as you did not count them all. Just say so, then.

Yes, I know.

Okay, do you see your gods? If so, can you show him to me?

Yes, but mankind has suffered immensely as a result of your beliefs and will continue to do so as long as those beliefs are "shared".

It would appear then that your argument is with other Christians who follow the tenets of their religion, unlike yourself.

smile

Daddy Beelze must be proud of you and all your Bible refutation techniques.

smile

3. profile image0

here's just a small sample.  Can read the whole list for yourself.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/ … tions.html
            http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/ … ncies.html

MT 27:5 Judas hanged himself.
            AC 1:18 He fell headlong, burst open, and his bowels gushed out.

MT 28:8 The visitors ran to tell the disciples.
            MK 16:8 They said nothing to anyone.
            LK 24:9 They told the eleven and all the rest.
            JN 20:10-11 The disciples returned home. Mary remained outside, weeping

MK 1:14 Jesus began his ministry after the arrest of John the Baptist.
            JN 3:22-24 Before the arrest of John the Baptist.

MK 1:23-24 A demon cries out that Jesus is the Holy One of God.
            1JN 4:1-2 Everyone who confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God. (Note: This would mean that the demon is of God.)

MK 3:29 Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is an unforgivable sin.
            AC 13:39, CN 2:13, 1JN 1:9 All sins are forgivable.

LK 14:26 No one can be a disciple of Jesus unless he hates his parents, wife, children, brothers and sisters.
            1JN 3:15 Whoever hates his brother is a murderer.
            1JN 4:20 If anyone claims to love God but hates his brother, he is a liar.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/ … bsurd.html

GE 7:19-20 The flood covered the earth with water fifteen cubits (twenty plus feet) above the highest mountains.(Note: This would require steady, worldwide rainfall at the rate of about 6 inches per minute, 360 inches per hour, 8640 inches per day--for 40 days and nights--so as to cover the entire earth with an endless ocean 5 miles deep, thus burying 29,000 ft. Mt. Everest under 22 ft. of water. How did the author know the depth of the water? Did Noah take soundings? And where has all this water gone?)

GE 8:20 Noah's first recorded action following the flood is to sacrifice one of every clean animal and bird. (Since so few animals were saved, this could be considered rather wasteful and defeating--especially given that the stated purpose of taking the animals aboard the Ark was to keep them alive [GE 6:20]. To see a discussion of the various ways this verse can be interpreted, and in turn the different ways to approach the Bible generally, see addendum.)

GE 8:21 The odor of Noah's sacrifices was pleasing to the Lord.

GE 9:12-16 God first creates the rainbow. (Note: Apparently the laws having to do with refraction of light were null and void prior to this time.)

GE 18:1, 7-8 God eats solid food with Abraham.

GE 30:37-43 Jacob alters the genetic characteristics of cattle by letting them view a striped rod. (Note: His purpose in doing so was to fleece Laban of his cattle.)

GE 32:24-30 God takes part in a wrestling match. He wins by injuring Jacob's hip.

Like we said. Sloppy interpretations. For example, we notice the extreme exaggeration in one.. This shows the personal objective of whomever interpreted the entirety.

Genesis 32:24 -- One need not even read the text to see the intentions of the interpreter as to reduce the Bible irregardless of whether it is true..

The passage has been titled "Jacob Wrestles with an Angel"

Goodness...

smile

1. profile image0

take the first example - Judas' death - hanging himself vs falling over & guts falling out - how do you say that's a sloppy interpretation?

3. pylos26 profile image69
        pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

mayhaps we should stick with our superman comics.

4. profile image0
    BunuBobuposted 13 years ago

Highly flawed representation of results.
    I am sure there are a few MORE contradictions that they missed!

We love subject elaboration.

Point some out?

smile

2. profile image0
      BunuBobuposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I need a year supply of Zoloft and/or venlafaxine, at least two shrinks and constant doctor supervision to wade through the garbage.

lol

I'll give you one thing.. Your awesome at excuses..
        (crack me up too)

smile

1. profile image0
          BunuBobuposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jeez, you sound like my mother.
          At least I provide a free entertainment service! big_smile

5. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 13 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/4814533_f248.jpg

image shows non-contradicting subjects in the bible because there are NO contradictions just sloppy interpretations.

lol

smile

1. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Providing one is prepared to "interpret" thousands of abusive contradictory passages, ignore them, or have never read the "good book". smile

1. profile image0
          brotheryochananposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hahaha
          you've been shot down so often with your supposed contradictions but lets ignore that, there's ego at stake here.

lol

As i said only sloppy interpretations by sloppy interpreters.

earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm from Missouri Show me! lol

no contradictions? You never read the bible then that much is obvious. Lets make it simple because I dont want to go over your head.

"Thou shallt not suffer a witch to live"

"Thou shallt not kill"

Very simple. Wheres the sloppy interpretation there? That is EXACTLY what the bible says.

Stop bending over backwards to defend your ridiculous fairytale.

1 Corinthians 1:25

25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

It's ok.. There's a lot of you who think they're smarter than God..

smile

I never said I was smarter than god you halfwit. I dont even believe there is a god so how can I be smarter than something that doesnt exist?

Oh my god you're stupid.

"I dont even believe there is a god so how can I be smarter than something that doesnt exist?"

Oh certainly oh wise one.. Because you don't believe (or haven't a clue about it) it doesn't exist.. You wish that were true.

If that ridiculous statement you made were true, half the universe wouldn't exist because someone denied it.

wow... The incomprehension...

smile

Thats ironic you talk of incomprehension.

You seem to be missing the point that you think that I believe I am smarter then something that I dont believe to exist. Irregardless of wether or not any of the gods worshipped today actually do exist, I dont think I am smarter then something that I dont believe to exist. That would just be silly.

As for my knowledge or christianity, it seems to be better than that of most I debate with, on average, but not all of course.

I went to catholic schools, I went to church every week til I was a teenager, and my mother used to be a nun. I also spent the last couple of years researching many things about christianity due to many debates with theists none of which have ever provided a convincing argument for their particular type of god that they believe to exist.

2. Slarty O'Brian profile image78

There is a reason they call it apologetics. They have to keep making up stories to keep it all together and can't stop apologizing for it.  lol...

Ah, then you're here to provide us all with the correct interpretations? lol

I don't believe any contradictions have yet to even been presented. More notably a image of a supposed diagram that looks more like a child with a compass.

You could do some personal research. Were not here to spoon feed you Beelzebub.

smile

1. Joy56 profile image68
          Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

vector7 that is so funny...... we can all do our own research is right, but how come we all come to different conclusions.... one bible one god.  It becomes tiresome sometimes

Yes, I understand that, a result of religious indoctrination in which you have accepted the irrational and illogical as reality.

Evidently, you're not here to do anything at all but make specious claims and tell whoppers of tales. smile

Ah yes. You govern yourselves. And created yourself to..

Or was it monkeys you came from. Oh yes. Monkeys..

smile

Reality governs us all, it's just some choose not to accept that.

Wow, your knowledge of evolution is stunning to say the least. smile

1. profile image0

Yes reality does govern you because you choose to let it and you allow it to. If you were a good tree bearing good fruit you might be able to see past the limitations that your belief system confines you too. The bible so often and repeatedly steps outside the framework of such limited thinking and God opens up ways far surpassing reality. Just think if moses had have said .. the laws of physics dictate that this red sea cannot be crossed.. how wrong he would have been.. or had the walls of jericho as big and mighty and solid as they WERE dictated to joshua that physics wont allow yelling and trumpet blasts to topple them, or joseph with his virgin wife mary, or Peter saying "silver and gold have i none but such as i have in the name of Jesus, rise up and walk".
                Your limited thinking does not interest me. It is a doctrine of misery compared to the miracles and power of God.
                Puhleeese. For all your insults and negative inputs I can clearly see God has the better way.
                Satan has blinded you with physics lol God surpasses all that He has created.

We simply don't have a choice in the matter, neither do you.

You are the one with the belief system, not me.

No, the bible just teaches believers to fantasize some other reality.

He could have referred to the sea of reeds in which people can walk across but chariots would get stuck.

Or, most likely, that is another childish fantasy in which believers are taught to believe.

Yes, I understand how the indoctrinated believe those childish fantasies in light of reality.

Your childish fantasies are of no interest to me, either. It is rather hilarious a grown adult accepts them as true.

Yes, do stand up tall on your soapbox when you tell fairy tales of magic.

Yes, I can see how you would despise reality in favor of childish fantasies. That explains a lot.

Yes, I do understand how believers consider physics and science the spawn of the devil, while they sit their using everything physics and science has brought them, like your computer, internet connection, these forums.

Such hypocrisy surpasses all that your childish fantasies created. lol

1. profile image0

You always have a choice in every matter and where you are in that choice matters. I am glad you understand and yet if you think them childish fantasies you understand nothing, so it seems to me your understanding is not understanding at all but just another sloppy interpretation limited by reality - reality which God gave us to live in, not to worship the reality, in fact Jesus showed and God showed and the bible showed that this reality is nothing to Him, indeed a trifle. Even the stars are not worthy of worship or such adoration as to be placed above God.
                    Enjoy your worship of reality, i am sure it will seem a less comfortable zone if ever or whenever it fails to make you comfy.

again you sidestep or fail to refute points in my post. Name calling the supernatural works of God as childish fantasies gets you the sound of the buzzer and a thanks for playing.... NEXT!

2. profile image0

actually, I came from my parents.

But even if we did come from monkeys...what have you got against monkeys?

3. profile image0

Nicely said Vector 7. spoon feeding these non believers is truly a waste of time. This has been proven over and over. The same texts, the same examples, the same wrong statements and misquotes and wrong assumptions is all they have. Repetition and redundancy, misinformation and lies.
          Lets see them find a contradiction in this:
            Hebrews 6:4   For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
            Hebrews 6:5   And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
            Hebrews 6:6   If they shall FALL AWAY, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
            Hebrews 6:7   For the earth which drinkes in the rain that comes often upon it, and bringes forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receives blessing from God:
            Hebrews 6:8   But that which bears THORNS and THISTLES is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned.

the key verse here is vs 6 and 8, Seeing as they crucify... and.... that which bears thorn and thistles is rejected. This is a state of the heart situation. Some people end up so bitter and angry toward God that they don't want to hear anything to do with God and every chance they get they rail and curse at him. A person IN this state cannot be renewed because their heart is not right, it has scar tissue and is hardened. A soft heart, someone who hears the word and it takes root in the heart; that person can be renewed if they have fallen away because they can STILL receive the words of God.

God's word never returns void..

smile

1. profile image0
              jomineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For it is void!

1. profile image0

nope
                but i lands on voidness sometimes.

2. Woman Of Courage profile image61
              Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

brother, You are right. With a hardened heart, one is not open to recieve the word of God.

Good cop out. Try again

3. literarychimp profile image61
      literarychimpposted 13 years ago

No contradictions in the Bible! And there is uniformity in a burst pinata!! 1Sam15; "Now therefore go, and smite Amalec, and utterly destroy all that he has: spare him not, nor covet anything that is his: but slay both man and woman, child and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass." This is dear God telling Saul to ethnically cleanse the amelekites. Yes including "woman, child and suckling". Although, we should be fair, God had clearly changed his ways and embraced a more wholesome way of life by the time he send his son to tell us "love thy neighbor" and forgive those who do us wrong. Perhaps he was counselled by a few enlightened unbelievers, what else would explains such a "contradiction".

Maybe you should go tell God your problem?

smile

1. profile image0

Which one?
          The old OT one who is a murder, maniac obsessed with sex?
          Or is it the NT one filled with idiosyncrasies?
          Or is it the god who made flying horses and give men 72 virgins9and treat women as commodities?
          Or is it any of the other innumerable ones?

2. literarychimp profile image61
          literarychimpposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The sky is empty....where is God?........He never answers me

lol

Why would He answer you while you mock Him..

You actually think that'll happen??

1. profile image0

You forgot Samuel or some prophet went to prove yahweh against baal
              Got anything like  that?
              There should be something, right?  As reason and logic clearly defy any god!!

2. profile image0

You need more information about what the amalekites did prior to 1 sam 15. Let me take you back in time generally, when nations were throwing their babies on hot tin idols to burn and to the times when borders were unestablished (maps had not been created of the earth and only the mighty forces held territory). Yes dear friend these were barbaric times, all nations were killing people, babies, old and young and their livestock. For God to allow his people to defend and protect and eradicate these nations whose God said to them to kill just for the sake of killing and to obtain material possessions and land is not hypocritical at all, its just common sense. Amalekites were responsible for picking off the back stragglers of Gods people when they came out of egypt, the old and weaker. The amalekites were constantly a threat to the hebrews, just because they saw them as weaker and smaller in number, the amalekites were opportunists without a God who taught them morals or a government who taught them peaceful ways. You need more information before you can point a finger concerning violence in a violent world. The world was not always as it is today, with borders of countries on maps that anyone can get. There was no United Nations governing war around the world. But when the world was about to change and the fighting was about to settle down and technology began to improve or would improve, God agreed with it and said, "now we can love our neighbour because the time is right for this sort of thing". No contradiction just a foretelling and wise God.
        As for God never answering you. God has always said "first you do this and then i will do this" its never the other way around. Abraham waited 27 plus years for God to spread his seed like the stars. Joseph was in a jail for a crime he did not commit for 2 plus years and then he became the second in command over all egypt. Noah preached 120 years before it rained while he built an ark in the middle of a desert. If God is not answering you You havent lined up to what God wants.

Ho-hum. Just because some people can't properly context what they are reading well enough to comprehend the underlying causation for what appear to be contradictions, rendering some of them to be non-contradictory in true form, and others to be texts or comments which require a short search of logic to understand, isn't enough of an issue for me to comment further. In short...read it ten times.

2. literarychimp profile image61

O Brotheryochanan, that is quite a verbose response!!

ALSO A very bad one

1. What did the amalekite "babes" do? I can't imagine they were responsible for "picking off back stragglers". I can't imagine they had no God, since they were far too young to believe or  disbelieve in what we call God. (Also, I'm troubled by your tightly concealed insinuation that because they did not believe in your God their mass murder was justified. Yes brother, that is implied in your rant.) Yet they had to be massacred along with the rest. This is all chillingly reminiscent of that more popular Biblical folk tale, the massacre of the innocents by King Herod.

2. What you said sounds so tediously like someone parroting ancestral propaganda, still used to justify tribal conflicts remembered only by parroting Bible fundamentalists. O the amalekites were so uncivilized, uncouth and Godless....Yeah, Yeah, Yeah and the Indians eat their own children................Well, the Bible diffuses the same poison about the Philistines and now, after excavating ancient Philistine settlements that date from the 9th-10th century, we know the Philistines were actually a culturally rich, religious devout people with a developed political and economic system.

Now

So you believe in a God who said this

"but slay both man and woman, child and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass"

and then try and wiggle out of it by dehumanise them with silly prejudices and archaic defamations. Well, its hardly the most unbiased source for learning about the Amelikites is it?? If i was not as polite as I am Brotheryochanan i could make a few unsettling parallels!!!

Ok.. Now ask why God never answers you.....

lol

1. profile image0

smile

I guess if the soil is not receptive the seed will not grow

1. literarychimp profile image61

Neither of you responded to my arguments.............just scoffing "God doesn't like you, but he likes us"................How can you respect that. Respond to my arguments.

I don't think their attention span made it to your comment. ADS, you know. Sad story, that...some other time, maybe.

He, he.....

2. profile image0

I have said what i said. If you want to know more do a google search. Reread my post, perhaps you will glean some insights into what you missed before.
                  to show you what you missed before:
                  you said: "I can't imagine they had no God"
                  I said: "without a God who taught them morals or a government who taught them peaceful ways" key words here being 'without a God who taught them', does not imply they had no god but that their god did not teach them morals....
                  Slight misread on your part.
                  try not to just react next time and if you are teachable allow room for learning and perhaps the idea that you might not have a full picture or that your expertise can be expanded to incorporate some new information.
                  Yes while God was bringing His people out of egypt He did not appreciate the back of the line being attacked and if the thought of Gods anger being stirred and God keeping their actions in remembrance and then recompensing them for this action and others, read the book of revelation again... God does not forget.

Sorry brother, I was wrong, now that I know what you told me the massacre of babies was ok. Since it was not the case that "they had no God", but their particular specie of cosmic autocrat did not care to teach them morals. ...............Jee, how could I be so stupid

Eerr, I must say i am gratfull for the insight into such a mind........

(O and by the way, dictated morals is a contradiction in terms, a moral decision must be made freely or else it is hardly moral!!!!)

So, if you define "morality" as "whatever God tells me to do"  you have no morals. Because brother (you will probably appreciate the example) if God told you, for instance, to go and sacrifice your infant son you would do it unquestioningly,.....just like Abraham, all those years ago on Mt Maolise.....

It's amazing how much higher people set themselves above the one which created them..

I know.. I know.. You don't believe. It's obvious.

smile

3. vector7 profile image60

"Neither of you responded to my arguments.............just scoffing "God doesn't like you, but he likes us"................How can you respect that. Respond to my arguments."

I responded to your argument. I suppose you're incomprehensive as well.

You say God doesn't answer you. I say why would God answer someone being a prick to Him???

If that doesn't make sense to you, you're lost in your own little world.

A human judge won't answer you if you mock him. He'll just speak to the bailiff and you'll be talking to yourself just like you're doing with God.

What makes you think if a human won't answer you that God will under those conditions..

Of course God loves people who give Him due respect you ding dong..

The irony...

smile

Now now brother, dont need to get so stirred up.......You should talk to your psychotherapist about built up aggression.......He might just say you are reacting aggressively to critcims of your beliefs because you secretly fear they MAY not actually BE TRUE!!!!

Anyway, your argument is circular in the extreme, someone would only put stone in my tongue in cheek comment about the uncommunicative God if they unquestionably accepted your beliefs, but the thing is, your beliefs is what we are arguing about.....YOU see, CIRCULAR, round and round we go

lol

Count your exclamation points and capital letters and re-read your first two sentences would you?

smile

3. Slarty O'Brian profile image78

Yeah. And then he had us murder his son and suck his blood and eat his flesh so we can live forever. Talk about cannibals. It's a religion of vampires and they have no idea. lol....

4. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

Drat it, just_curious, is Beelzedad still being intolerant in this thread too?! wink

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol I haven't been here that long, but I've never noticed him to be anything but. You got to give it to him though. He stays in character.

Gosh Brenda, does that mean that your views on homosexuals, non-believers and divorce are tolerant? wink

1. profile image0

Not at all, God loves those people and salvation is offered to them also as well as others but they will have to come out of their sins. Living in disbelief is a sin, homosexuality is a sin and divorce, except for fornication, is a sin.
          This is part of the higher morality that God endorses that most people never think to aspire to.

Oh oh, it looks like Brenda might be in trouble there as she was divorced. Wait a minute, the divorce rate for Christians is actually through the roof.

But, it's all okay as long as they accept Jesus, they can pretty much sin anytime they want. Murder is a sin, too, isn't it? But, it's okay as long as you accept Jesus, right?

That would be the same morality in which your god killed almost everyone on earth in a flood and the same morality that Jesus will commit upon his return?

The morality of killing the first born in Egypt?

The morality of killing all the people in Jerico, Heshbon, Bashan, Midian, and the Amalekites?

The same morality in which Jephthah burns his daughter alive as a sacrificial offering for your gods favor in killing the Ammonites?

The list of moralities goes on and on...

However, it is not a higher morality I would be interested in aspiring, how about you? smile

"Oh oh, it looks like Brenda might be in trouble there as she was divorced"

Yes, but she has Jesus Christ. And Jesus knows if she is remorseful for failing to follow God's commandments or not..

And if she is then Christ has forgiven her..

You understand the principle right?

Oh yeah, atheist.. My fault.

smile

1. profile image0

If he doesn't understand he has read all the rebuttals to these weak arguments before.
                These are old debates, each one in turn explained at length and suitably answered fully.
                He chose to bring them up again because this is just what he does. The search for truth is not important nor is understanding, he doesn't care if we prove him wrong, he just needs to get his misinformation out there. Others are like him too and have been exposed for the frauds that they are, liars and thieves who come to steal, destroy.
                Its as i said before, all old arguments, outdated and done away with now; repetition and bitterness is all that occurs.

How very Christian of you to say such things. Clearly, the bible has taught you much about morals and ethics. lol

1. profile image0

ya reap what you sow
                    seems you havent learned this one

how do you correlate morals and ethics from my post?
                    Many people speaking truth have been ridiculed while they were speaking words of truth. Jesus told the dominant religion of the time they were vipers. I don't think i mentioned you were a viper and so what if i do? am i unmoral or unethical?

i can cut and paste many situations of your using critical fancy speech to depict christian beliefs.. if ya cant take it dont dish it out.. or havent you learned that one yet either.

sound of the buzzer again.... hows many is that now?   lol

You don't appear to have any, that's a cinch to see.

Evidently, that one is far too difficult a concept for you.

You're a very good teacher in that regard, however I'm not interested in learning that behavior.

5. BobbiRant profile image61
      BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

Bible THEME--------Paradise to Start------------after Armageddon----Paradise restored............anything You think is a contradiction in the center is irrelevant, to say the least.  But just because humans have changed their thinking does not mean God has changed His.  "The nations shall know that I am God' is pretty clear.  There will be No doubt He exists at Armageddon.

1. profile image0

Nice

2. vector7 profile image60

Well said.

smile

6. Anjili profile image66
      Anjiliposted 13 years ago

Depending on who you are and where you are in this matter, you could all be correct in that we do not gain much by reading a letter meant for another person. The letter usually appears to be out of context to us, no matter how often we try to comprehend its contents. You of course know how we refer to a person who has gained access to what does not belong to them. The bible was written for the children of Israel. You have to be one of them or initiated into their bloodline, to understand their letter - The Bible. Then and only then, will it start making sense to you. It is clearly written that there remains a veil between mankind's eyes and the word of God. Until this veil is removed, we remain in obscurity and ignorance. You will even find yourself arguing with the creator himself if you allow yourself to enter into his kingdom. Hint: Try to get your veil removed and see what happens.

contradictions may arise whenever man's hand is involved. Historical context outside the scriptures is needed. For instance, at what point in the bible does Alexander appear? He conquered Judea and Palestine, and those territories were split up between his generals. Can you follow this in the bible? If you can't, then you don't even know enough to discuss it. Context eliminates many so-called contradictions. If you look at just the bible, you have no context.

To add. The Old books should always be considered part of, yet separate from the New books. More contradictions disappear when you consider that the image of god which most offends you is that part which resembles you. Spittin' image.

7. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years ago

Here ya go curious, from the link:

A well cultivated critical thinker:

* raises vital questions and problems, formulating them clearly and precisely;
          * gathers and assesses relevant information, using abstract ideas to interpret it effectively comes to well-reasoned conclusions and solutions, testing them against relevant criteria and standards;
          * thinks openmindedly within alternative systems of thought,
            recognizing and assessing, as need be, their assumptions, implications, and practical consequences; and
          * communicates effectively with others in figuring out solutions to complex problems.

Notice that you are none of those? smile

1. profile image0

lol
        We gather relevant information from one book, Gods book. We have questions we want answered and we study to show ourselves approved of God and we pray concerning the same. We seek others who have spent time researching these areas of question. We see that the bible is against open mindedness concerning alternative systems of thought, therefore we stick to what God is teaching and we discover what God wants. This is unique because no man can teach adequately what God wants, but God can, so we must make sure our sources are correct. For instance to study the apocrypha we find in maccabees that we can pray to the dead, which is not according to what the bible says. We see the practical consequences within a bible framework, we apply them to the world and we see the results of sex with another mans wife, stealing, etc.

sound of the buzzer again

No need to remind us of what we already know. We know you are against reading books and learning things, we know you are against being open minded and thinking, we know you will stick to what your god sez.

Of course, we also know the hypocrisy of embracing that position when the rest of us read books, are open minded to new ideas and thoughts. And, with such ideas, we produce things that you use every day, despite the fact you produce nothing at all. smile

1. profile image0

"Of course, we also know the hypocrisy of embracing that position when the rest of us read books, are open minded to new ideas and thoughts. And, with such ideas, we produce things that you use every day, despite the fact you produce nothing at all"

this was good for a laugh.
            First off the books you read steer you away from and confuse you and manipulate your thoughts away from God. You read books written by humans without inspiration of God and that do not confirm or support the ways of the bible. Unless you read a lot of archeology books.
            If you think electricity is something you can accredit to people 'like you' perhaps you can, God believes in solar power, its his number one choice. If the nuclear reactors that man has developed end up creating chernobyls all over the place then congrats for backing a winner lol
            To say that I produce nothing at all, gave me the biggest guffaw probably of all your laughable posts.
            You really do pride yourself in assuming and inferring tantamount numbers of things that are purely your own one-sided speculation.
            I will assume something of my own... your belief, since it is really a non belief cannot be tested or tried or proven. You continually say that you do not believe in a God, which i will purport, is an assumption on your part. Until your faith in your nonbelief is actually tested, as many have stated, it does not exist. It is a vacuous idea that floats between nothingness and pure fanciful ideaology. The best standard you will ever amount to with practice is humanism until that changes with the next fox network tv show.

Actually, it was the bible that did that. Horrid book, full of immoral and unethical behavior, killing and mass murder. Some parts were okay, but certainly not a book that would cause one to be drawn towards a god.

Exactly. I chose not to support immoral and unethical behavior, killing and mass murder. Thanks for noticing.

Sorry, but archeology does not support the bible. You wouldn't know that because you don't read books "written by humans without inspiration of God."

I have no idea what you're talking about. Electricity is not attributed to anyone, it's just another part of nature.

Strawman fallacy.

So, what do you produce, other than conflict?

Strawman fallacy. You can say that about leprechauns and unicorns, too, with equal validity. smile

2. profile image0

Call me crazy, but I do think I am approaching this problem pragmatically. I am trying to determine if there is any logic to your accusaation that I am religiously indoctrinated.  This is the question.  It can't be any more clear and precise as that.

I am gathering what I believe to be relevant information on the question that has been posed.  So far, I have found nothing but offensive and insulting definitions to your term.  They do not apply to me, yet once I am done being offended, I press on. Gathering relevant information.

I press on, because I have an open mind.  I am willing to accept the possibility thaty I am wrong, until I can sift through all of the information I can find and determine if it is true. You have given me no facts to back up your accusation. Mark has pointed me in a new direction.  I am willing to go that route in search. 

I am willing to recognize when my assumptions are wrong.  I have already determined that my assumptions were wrong about the nature of the Bible.  I have already recognized that my assumptions were wrong about the nature of God as described by Christianity.  I have already recognized that my assumptions were wrong about religion.
        Simply because I don't agree with your conclustions about the practical consequences does not make me wrong.

And the lack of abiltiy to communicate effectively in regards to conversations with you is, in my opinion, impeded by:
               preconceived notions on your part
               intolerance on your part
               prejudice on your part
               intractability on your part
               your inability to critically approach the problem of     religion

So yes Beelzedad.  I recognize that I meet the criteria as outlined in your post.  I do not see any evidence that you have met any.  So sorry. smile

Please do so, you don't need me, then. Happy trails. smile

1. profile image0

Same to you. But I do feel compelled to note that once again you have stayed true to form and dodged the question. smile

Please don't lie, I have answered your questions.

1. profile image0

I haven't lied. You answer the ones you find convenient. Which is within your rights. smile

I have answered your questions. If you feel your questions haven't been answered, then I would suggest a medial reading course. smile

1. profile image0

It may be your reading comprehension that is at issue, but I think not. You choose to ignore what appear to be tough questions. Many people do. It is a part of human nature. Don't worry about it. Your refusal to answer speaks volumes.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75

Dont you relise according to the Athiest,everyone is indoctrinated except them ...r i g h t .....

1. profile image0

Well, you know what they say? They're always right. lol

I do find it interesting that they bombard believers with questions and when you ask them about their prejudices and misperceptions they are suddenly clueless and blind. I sometimes wonder if they don't realize everyone knows they're intellectually dishonest.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75

Yessssss...quite frustrating,well used to be.
              Now I think its a little bit like small children ,who seem bored and their opinions repetitive.
              (I know you are ,you said you are na na na)

Just curious :Whether we believe in the same things or not,at least you put some thought into your posts.

Someone should tell her it's God that's always right..

smile

1. profile image0

lol your inability to see the obvious is always entertaining. lol

On a more serious note; you should stop preaching your personal delusion. As crazy as it is it is your right to be crazy. It is not your right to drive others crazy in the process. As the atheists are fond of pointing out this is a discussion forum, you were not issued a pulpit when you joined the site. smile

2. profile image0

Honestly, I think I'm in the same spiritual position I was when I walked in here. I hadn't put a lot of thought in to how I feel on the topic of religion.  I don't go to church for the exact same reasons the militant atheists bash everyone on it. Most ' Good Christians' I know personally are hypocrites. But then, most every person labeled a 'Bad Christian' is a hypocrite too. Everyone, whether religious or otherwise, is in danger of being holier than thou. It's part of our nature, but it is something I strive hard to avoid. If I see it in myself, I search for the source so I can see myself for what I really am. No different from the next person.

The Bible? A great book. But one has to accept the fact that it has been used to justify great evil. We all know that. We can't wish it away. The past is no one's fault who is alive today, but I have had my position shifted as to the dangers fundamentalists pose. I simply came to realize that nothing used for evil could be divinely inspired by a loving god. It does not negate the value I see in the philosophy attained by a good person such as yourself. You seem loving and well grounded.

The nature of God, or anything greater than our understanding? We'll have to wait for more information. It is truly idle speculation at this point. But any religion that claims they are the leaders to the way are suspect to me. They always have been. I've simply shifted my position to clearly see I don't know anything either and I have nothing in common with the Christian 'brand' on the take on the message of Jesus.

The  concept of militant atheism is a curiosity I plan to follow to what I determine is what they see as its logical conclusion simply because their behavior is, in my mind, outside of the bounds of reason.

No, it is not part of our nature, it is part and parcel to childhood religious indoctrination.

That is because it is filled with great evil.

Yes, the indoctrinated consider their religious delusions within the bounds of reason and reality outside. smile

1. profile image0

I thought you had said you weren't indoctrinated by religion? There has always been a holier than thou nature to your posts.

It is a book. Would you degrade another piece of literature that has references to violence? Are you advocating the burning of books?

I'm going to stop raising an eyebrow at you until I finish this book Mark suggested. Who knows. Maybe you won't seem so crazy then. smile

8. Clotier Nailing profile image61
      Clotier Nailingposted 13 years ago

smile

9. Darknlovely3436 profile image71
      Darknlovely3436posted 13 years ago

There will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who needs no repentance.Luke 15:7

From what I have seen of repentant sheep it will be more like a chorus of snooty "I told you soes"....................Sin? Whats that?................................................ As I said above if you define morality as "whatever God tells me to do" then you are not a moral person. Think about it.....................

Clearly...

roll

10. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

The laws were not changed -merely strengthened.

The 10 commandments remain the same.

Yes ,God did give you a break, in the form of His son.

His name is Jesus Christ smile

Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Amen big_smile

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75

smile

And then demanded we murder him so we could live for ever. Sounds like a really sick fantasy to me. I think Christians are sick for accepting the murder of an innocent just so they can live for ever.

If someone told you to beat your neighbor to death so  he could allow you  to stay alive, I take it you would jump at the chance?

Are you referring to Jesus? You have to think like those back then to understand why it was necessary.. Back in the those times, there needed to be sacrifices to cover the sins of people. The reason God sent his son Jesus to die on the cross to die for our sins was because He was the perfect lamb of God. He had no faults, which therefore made him enough to cover the sins of the saved.
          The reason only Jesus could have been a perfect sacrifice was because He was born of the virgin Mary. Sin, as it was thought back then, is passed down through the father. And because there technically was no human father, sin was never passed down to Jesus. That is why He was the only one who could have been sacrificed for the good of humanity. So in an answer to your question, No. I would not beat my neighbor to death. That's murder.

11. chasemillis profile image71
      chasemillisposted 12 years ago

Yes, that chart looks pretty and everything, but you need to understand the context of when and how each book was written. You may think there are contradictions in the Bible, but if you do research on it, you will realize that they are not contradictions. If you think there are a ton of contradictions, then post up a couple and I'll research them. I know a ton of "contradictions" that have legitimate reasons for why they are so. If I start going into them, then this post will be too long. Give me a couple of your contradictions and I'll figure out what was trying to be said.

PSA 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.

EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

MAT 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

MAR 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

JOH 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

smile

I can already tell that you are not reading these in context of who they were being written to and about, etc, but I'll explain to you why these are not contradictions anyway:

Psalm 145:9 and Jeremiah 13:14 - Yes, it does say that God is good to all and has mercy,  but it does not mean that God does not get angry. If you look at the verse before Psalm 145:9, it says "The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love." Just because it says that God is good to all does not mean that He doesn't discipline us when we disobey him. Side note - God is the perfet version of all the character traits.
          Now let me get on to the other verse. Jeremiah 13 is talking to a specific group of people. Let me give you the background. Jeremiah is the writer of this book. Basically, the house of Israel has been worshiping idols, or false gods, after God has told them multiple times to not put any god before Him. Read Jeremiah 11:6-8. Basically, God tells Jeremiah to go tell the people of Jerusalem, "From the time I brought your forefathers out of Egypt until today, I warned them again and again, saying, "Obey me." But they did not listen or pay attention; instead, they followed the stubbornness of their evil hearts. So I brought on them all the curses of the covenant I had commanded them to follow but that they did not keep" This is prettty much God telling Jeremiah that Israel was about to get punished." But God is not saying that He is going to always be mean to the Israelites. He just punished them until they repented and followed the ways of the Lord. Proof of this is in Jeremiah 13:14-17. God says that after He "uproots" them, He will once again have compassion for them and that if they swear by His name that He will establish them as one of His people once again. So, to tie things together, Jer. 13:14 is talking about the punishment that the Isrealites had to go through because of the covenent that they broke. They worshiped false idols, and because that was against the covenent that the Lord made with the Iraelites as He took them out of Egypt, they were going to be punished for it. That is why He was going to have no compassion or mercy for them. It is because He warned them multiple times to NOT worship false idols. That was really long but I had to explain everything.

For Exodus 15:3 and Romans15:33 - Like the story above showed, God is a "God of peace" unless you disobey him. He is the perfect mix of both. If God was always a man of war, then Christianity would be very violent. If He was always a man a peace, then He would never resort to fighting, or punishment in His case. Christians are supposed to be people of peace, but we are also commanded to fight for the Lord. That may be physical or metaphorical/mental fighting. I know it's hard to understand, but God is a a "man of peace who will fight for what He believes in" (don't take that literally because God's not a man)

For Mat 1:16 and Luke 3:23 - I'll get back to you on this one - I haven't done enough research on the geneology to give an educated responce yet

And lastly - Luke 3:23, Matthew 28:1, and John 20:1 - I'm going to take these piece by piece. The first sections of each match each other. Mat - In the end of the sabbath, it began to dawn toward the first day of the week (starts with the first day of the week), Mark - Ane when the sabbath was past (sabbath=saturday, so it also starts on the first day of the week), John - The first day of the week cometh (same - first day). And I'm assuming that you think the contradiction is are the number of people who actually went to visit the tomb. But there are no contradictions because it never says that ONLY Mary Magdalene or that ONLY Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to see Jesus/the sepulchre. John just decided to only write that Mary went. Salome and the other Mary went, John just didn't write it down because he felt as though their presence wasn't significant to his part ot the story.

Woah this ended up being way longer than I expected, but it was really fun!! Tell me any other "contradictions" you may have. I love proving the validity of the Bible.

Boy are you a calming breeze or what chasemills..

big_smile

God bless you..

Discipline? Is that what you call it? God commands people to murder other people over trivial and petty matters.

Really? If we shared gods character traits, we would have wiped ourselves out long ago.

"I will smash them one against the other, parents and children alike, declares the LORD. I will allow no pity or mercy or compassion to keep me from destroying them.’"

You call that punishment? I call that mass murder and genocide simply because an invisible super being wasn't getting the love and attention he believes he deserves. Selfish, petty and malicious are more relevant words to describe such behavior.

Yeah, I get the whole punishment thing. In fact, we have dictators in control of some countries of the world that exhibit similar behavior and call it punishment, too.

Are you joking? Of course, we are well aware of the fact Christians are "commanded to fight for the Lord... physical or metaphorical/mental fighting" yes, that is why your religion has caused so many wars and continues to cause conflict in the world.

That is why, by your very own reasoning, that your god most certainly is a mix of both love and violence, just like your religion. That's entirely the problem.

lol Yes, you most certainly have validated the bible. Thanks for sharing. smile

It's useless arguing against you because once I prove you wrong, you just try to take small things in the Bible and make over-exaggerated assumptions about them.Trivial and petty matters - no, the very reason for your existence is because of God (if you believe the Bible), and everything - every quality about you, is given to you by God. We don't deserve anything that we are given. The least we could do it worship Him with everything in us.
              And no - we do not share all God's character traits, that's impossible because God is perfect and we are not
              And in responce to your "genocide", if you actually read the passage that I suggested (Jer 12:14-17), then you would see that God only punished them until they "swore by God's name". Then God was going to establish them as among His people again.
              Dictators - they didn't create the Universe and everything in it. We don't need to be thanking them with every breath in us.
              Conflicts in the world - other than the crusades, what wars
              Love and violence - God is love always and violence necessary. And sometimes it IS necessary. Every once in a while, it gets to a point where talking to someone just isn't going to cut it.
              And yes I did validate the Bible. All you did in your responce was talk about how you think God is evil.
              Good talking to you, but I have to do a lot of physics homework, and I'm terrible at physics. I can see that no matter how long we argue, I am probably not going to sway you my way and you are probably not going to sway me yours. Let's just agree to disagree. Goodbye

2. towsen profile image57

yes my friend i and others on  this post are  christians now there is a misunderstanding of what happen in  the pass like the  Crusades and misguided christians who commit atrocites in  the name of  God what they done was wrong and totally against the teachings of  Jesus.  I myself and many other Christians are upset at these misguided Christians and Jesus and God was upset to.

Jesus spoke about these people  in Matthew 7:15 also in Matthew 7:21,22 these are false christians who  do atrocities in the  name  of  God if  you  notice in the 23verse he told those false christians depart from me you work is of iniquity. This will  happen when  he  come  back  to  earth in  future.

Go  to 2 Timothy 2:19 he said The Lord knoweth  them that are his. And, let every one  that  nameth  the  name  of  Christ depart from iniquity.   Example what they did  in  the  Crusades was iniquity and these false Christians who  go  around  murdering  abortion doctors are wrong even  though abortion doctors are wrong.

Now True Christianity is right without iniquity. I  wish I could  cover some  more but I don't  have  time.

I  love  you and God  love  you  too  have   a  good  day.

2. Woman Of Courage profile image61

chasemillis, Agreed.

12. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Do what you like with your interpretations, your god is still killing people for not believing in him. Hardly the outcome one would expect from an omniscient being. Even mere man has never been neurotic enough to wipe out almost all of mankind because they couldn't understand the gibberish they were taught to read and worship from.
      Psychotic plain and simple.

13. vector7 profile image60
      vector7posted 12 years ago

Glory be to God!!!!!!!!

I love my Father..

He loved me first..

big_smile

earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Glory be to me!!!
        I own my thought dreams and aspirations and enjoy the day without an admonishing invisible mythical entity telling me I am crud and have to waste precious time worshiping him.
        I love me first, then I know how to love others. smile

14. profile image52
      paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

Contradictions in the Bible?

Conradiction in Bible are very natural; the books have been written by many people; so they had different perceptions; non presented the perception of Jesus.

It is for this reason that they quoted little from Jesus; they wrote what they understood, wrongly most of the times.

15. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 12 years ago

===========================
      chasemillis wrote:
      seriously...it's useless argueing against these people because they take single verses and come up with huge descriptions of what it is supposed to mean, without ever even thinking to read the verses surrounding it or the timeperiod that it was written in.
      ===================

ME 

Tha most important issue to the hole thing IS    what particular verses that you choose to build your particular farriety of faith     based upon      any ole favorite verse that YA happen to want to live by  ....   some people think that it matters where Ya start ...

but I happen to have a different opinion.   

But?  ...   everybody seems to!

That aint NO suprise ?

16. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 12 years ago

Stoped by my house long enough to get some sleep ..   Just wanted to say  Ha ta everbody   .....

good night Yawl.

17. profile image52
      paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

Conradictions in Bible are very natural; the books have been written by many people; so they had different perceptions; none presented the perception of Jesus.

It is for this reason that they quoted little from Jesus; they wrote what they understood, wrongly most of the times.

1. profile image0
        jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How do you know what jesus said?

18. handyman22 profile image59
      handyman22posted 12 years ago

There is a common Christian doctrine stating all scripture is inspired of God. By accepting this to be true I am accepting all words written in the Bible to be of God. Since Jesus and God are the same in Christian doctrine, all Biblical doctrine can be and often is, construed as being from Jesus. This of itself is a lie. The recorded words that Jesus spoke clearly do not reflect the words  of every speaker in the Bible. Only by focusing on the words that Jesus spoke in His ministry then following his instructions will a person realize His Reality. The words Jesus spoke were authored by Himself. Christianity today accepts any Godly inspiration as an inspiration from Jesus and it is not an inspiration of Jesus. No more than my thoughts and your thoughts are the same. The words Jesus spoke are unique to him the same as the words you speak and I speak are unique to each of us. We may have similar thoughts but we will also have our differences. I do not believe any one can understand exactly what Jesus said, but if we believe what others say Jesus said we will never have any idea of the message he was conveying.

1. profile image0
        jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

'There is a common Christian doctrine stating all scripture is inspired of God. By accepting this to be true"
        Why do you accept that as true. The same claim is made by so many different people and different books, why you selected one claim over the other?
        There are no writings by Jesus, only what is written in the bible is available. Humans have a tendency to state what they felt, than what the speaker stated. Then how do you know that is the exact stuff jesus said?
        The veracity of the existence is doubted by true historians. If jesus didn't exist, then whose teachings are you following?
        Then you still haven't explained why god's inspired words have contradictions.
        And why god decided to suddenly change tack in the new testament?

1. profile image52
          paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is not inspired to Paul, scribes or church; they just say it only to give some credence to the masses.

[2:80] Woe, therefore, to those who write the Book with their own hands, and then say: ‘This is from Allah,’ that they may take for it a paltry price. Woe, then, to them for what their hands have written, and woe to them for what they earn.
          [2:81] And they say: ‘The Fire shall not touch us except for a small number of days.’ Say: ‘Have you taken a promise from Allah? Then, Allah will never break His promise. Or, do you say of Allah what you know not?’

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … p;verse=79

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)