jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)

How powerful is the tongue with affirmations?

1. Andrew0208 profile image57
    Andrew0208posted 6 years ago

Life and death are in the power of the tongue {Proverbs 18:21}. Someone close said "I'm finished!" And I immediately said to him "you're not finished." His sayings almost snared him. How powerful is the tongue, how can it make or mar man's life?

2. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 6 years ago

It's only as powerful as you let it be. They're only words.

1. profile image0
      Digsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

If you really believe that words are trivial, why write anything?  Think about your own words--are they trivial or do you want them to have meaning?

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I didn't say that. I said they are as powerful as you let them be. The words themselves are not as important as your reaction to them.

1. profile image0

Bible says the power of life and death are in the tongue.  No one can convince anyone else of something they do not want to believe.  I guess you need to consider the source of anything, but never underrate the power of words to shape events--look around you.

1. profile image0
            just_curiousposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well said.

3. Jerami profile image74
    Jeramiposted 6 years ago

Things that I have said 20 years ago that hurts a loved one always continue to affect (to some degree) how that person feels about me today.

Those words that I spoke lies dormant in their subconcious mind, That person may not even know that they are still affected by them today, but they are.

So yes I believe the spoken word carries power.

Words are either constructive or destructive, and can never be taken back. How often have we wished that we could take back something tht we have said?  Why would we want to?

4. Andrew0208 profile image57
    Andrew0208posted 6 years ago

As we have always desired and endeavoured to learn and improve ourselves in hubbing and other things even not related. It has also counted to me so much to learn more of the things of the Spirit via God's word. It may be hard to be believed by a few that life and death are in the power of the tongue but it's a reality; for example when you're asked of something and you quickly answered "I don't know!" You've just put a stop to your system from thinking, processing and possibly providing answers.

Someone kept calling her son an idiot and empty brain for some reoccuring mistakes of the boy not knowing that her son will never change otherwise as she continued saying those words. The boy ended up been a dumb scholar and always failed in exams.

5. profile image0
    BunuBobuposted 6 years ago

I think words are the most powerful tools that man/woman kind has.
    But it easy to abuse this power and that seems to be what religion has done.

1. profile image0

Religion has little or nothing to do with God, but faith does.  All of mankind, acting outside of God and his word, is guilty of abusing power.  This power is not unique to religion.  It seems to me that in order to make wise judgements in life, we first need to correctly identify what it is we are judging.  If we are going to care about the power of words and how they are used, then we should be clear about the standard we use.     

A biblical admonition from Christ suggests that before we remove a splinter from the eye of another, we must first remove the log from our own eye. (Matthew; Chapter Seven, Verses 1-5).

1. profile image0
        BunuBobuposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well what if I like my splinters?
        They give me character and add to my vibrant personality. smile

2. Andrew0208 profile image57
        Andrew0208posted 6 years ago in reply to this

@Digs, well agreed with you but in this context, how do the relate with each other?

1. profile image0

Andrew--please be more specific about what you are asking me.  I appreciate your question, but before answering, I want to be sure of what you are asking.

6. aka-dj profile image77
    aka-djposted 6 years ago

I see words as containers of power.
    They can carry as much power, both negative and positive, as you put in them, or take out of them.
    I have seen the power of words in these forums. It amazes me how much the reader brings to the table, as it were.
    For instance, I have been accused time and time again of anger, because of the words I wrote. However, not a single time have I been angry. So, this is a very clear indication, that the reader adds to (or takes from, as the case may be) what is written.
    Unfortunately, because of the nature of computer screens, we cannot read body language, which helps us immensely, to discern just what the other person is saying.

Finally, just call someone a derogatory name, and you will experience for yourself how much power there is in words. I might have to write a hub on this one. lol

1. profile image0
      BunuBobuposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Good point.
      Its very difficult to convey emotion via a computer screen.

working